Old 10-17-2016, 03:05 AM   #1
Joseph Cermak

Default How would you crop this?

Looking for help on a composition (balance) rejection. Thanks.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...67&key=7479636
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:45 AM   #2
spacetrain1983

There's a lot of dead space in the upper right. Plain blue sky with not a lot going on.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:59 AM   #3
troy12n
Banned

No light on the side of the locomotive facing the photographer will cause it to be rejected.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:20 AM   #4
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
No light on the side of the locomotive facing the photographer will cause it to be rejected.
Okay.....but I'm asking how I could better crop/compose the shot better when I can return with more optimal lighting conditions.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:47 AM   #5
Noct Foamer

To me it just seems like you're in the wrong spot. You're having trouble lining up the background with the train to get a good balance. From the spot you shot from, I'd probably shoot it as a vertical. That would especially work with an "angry" sky.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:57 AM   #6
Rene de Vries

Hi Joseph,

notice how the building on the left is tilting to the right (and vice versa on the other side). This is a result from not keeping the camera horizontally and should definitely be corrected in Photoshop.

If the sky is a bit more "interesting" and the lighting is better, this could be a good shot..

Then again, you can literally reject every single picture with "awkward composition"....

Cheers

René
Rene de Vries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:13 PM   #7
RobJor

I'd have to go with standing in wrong place. If you are further to right and there looks like lots of room and possibly a little further back you can shoot without pointing up eliminating the slanted bldgs and some of the empty blue sky, the train can move into the scene which also eliminates some of the parking lot foreground. As it is the train is entering the scene which could be OK if there was something attractive to the left like a water fountain or sculpture but as it is, there is a parking lot, one of the things I don't like prominent in the foreground.

Bob
RobJor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:28 PM   #8
Joseph Cermak

Unfortunately, this is as far to the right as one can stand due to some type of fenced utility pumps or something. As it is, you must shoot over a fence (~6 feet) that is between the public park and the tracks.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:48 PM   #9
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
Okay.....but I'm asking how I could better crop/compose the shot better when I can return with more optimal lighting conditions.
Stand on the other side of the tracks...

I realize you were attempting to capture the buildings, but it doesn't work in this instance because the lighting sucks

Standing more to the right and shooting at more of an angle would have worked if the light was behind you, but it wasnt... so moot point
Old 10-17-2016, 11:39 PM   #10
Joseph Cermak

Quote:

I realize you were attempting to capture the buildings, but it doesn't work in this instance because the lighting sucks

Standing more to the right and shooting at more of an angle would have worked if the light was behind you, but it wasnt... so moot point
Okay my question in this thread is how to better compose this on a day when the lighting would work here. (it will) I'm aware the lighting here is wrong, I can see that. Again, you are missing that point and telling me to stand on the other side of the tracks....?
Old 10-17-2016, 11:39 PM   #11
miningcamper1

Quote:

The buildings are the only reason to take a photo in that particular spot IMO.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:56 AM   #12
Decapod401

Having never been to Mobile, and looking at Google Maps, It appears that there is an exterior stairway on the building that is behind you. I have no idea if it is public, but assuming that it is, I would get some elevation on the stairway and shoot the train sweeping across the bottom part of the frame with the buildings a little farther in the background.

I've done my share of trackside shooting, but, when I can, I try to get farther away from the tracks, and get some elevation where possible.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:00 AM   #13
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
Having never been to Mobile, and looking at Google Maps, It appears that there is an exterior stairway on the building that is behind you. I have no idea if it is public, but assuming that it is, I would get some elevation on the stairway and shoot the train sweeping across the bottom part of the frame with the buildings a little farther in the background.
Yes it is a public museum, however, all of the outer decks are closed to the public except for an observation deck that faces the port more than any of the railroad. I thought the same thing as well when I first found this location on a school trip.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:59 AM   #14
nikos1

IMO its not bad as is, not sure theres anything you can do to get RP to accept it though other than to go screener fishing if you really want it on.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:36 AM   #15
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
The buildings are the only reason to take a photo in that particular spot IMO.
Then I would visit that location at a time when the sun is cooperating...

This isnt rocket science here people...

For the purposes of this forum, I don't see it getting off.

You could crop some off the right, but it's not going to get on. There's a ton of dead empty sky space
Old 10-18-2016, 03:44 AM   #16
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Then I would visit that location at a time when the sun is cooperating...

This isnt rocket science here people...
I'm honestly baffled at how you still don't understand what I've been asking. I made this thread for compositional help for a future shot with appropriate lighting. Nothing about this thread is about trying to get this shot on RP as is with the given lighting.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:19 PM   #17
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
I'm honestly baffled at how you still don't understand what I've been asking. I made this thread for compositional help for a future shot with appropriate lighting. Nothing about this thread is about trying to get this shot on RP as is with the given lighting.
I have already given you advice, so have other people, if you can't comprehend it, sorry...
Old 10-18-2016, 02:20 PM   #18
troy12n
Banned

One more thing...

The forum shows the 20 most recent threads.

You have started 9 of them, maybe re-examine your posting strategy there chief...

And if you are so obviously NOT worried about how to get the photo accepted (the stated reason this forum EXISTS in the first place), why do you keep asking questions like this?

This isn't a general "how-to" photography forum

Last edited by troy12n; 10-18-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:23 PM   #19
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
And here, since you are so obtuse, from my post to you last night

Quote:
You could crop some off the right, but it's not going to get on. There's a ton of dead empty sky space
There is NOTHING you can do, cropping wise, to overcome that big dead space upper right. You have to frame the shot differently, which means a different vantage point or angle.

And my suggestions about lighting have obviously fallen on deaf ears.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #20
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
One more thing...

The forum shows the 20 most recent threads.

You have started 9 of them, maybe re-examine your posting strategy there chief...
When it takes 4 months to get your account activated you might end up with a decent amount of things you've been waiting to ask. I didn't see any rules on how much you can post...if it's too much then just scroll past it. Like I said I'm only here to learn.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:29 PM   #21
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
When it takes 4 months to get your account activated you might end up with a decent amount of things you've been waiting to ask. I didn't see any rules on how much you can post...if it's too much then just scroll past it. Like I said I'm only here to learn.
Maybe post all your questions in one thread... just a thought
Old 10-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #22
JRMDC

Quote:
Okay my question in this thread is how to better compose this on a day when the lighting would work here. (it will) I'm aware the lighting here is wrong, I can see that. Again, you are missing that point and telling me to stand on the other side of the tracks....?
Quote:
Quote:
And my suggestions about lighting have obviously fallen on deaf ears.
In this case, Troy, Cermak's repeated indications that he understands the lighting issue have fallen on your deaf ears.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:17 PM   #23
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
One more thing...

And if you are so obviously NOT worried about how to get the photo accepted (the stated reason this forum EXISTS in the first place), why do you keep asking questions like this?

This isn't a general "how-to" photography forum
I see you edited your post to add more. In any case, the forum description is "Discuss railroad photography techniques, equipment requirements, etc." which sounds pretty general to me. As well as my intention to get a shot of this location accepted when I retake it.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:57 PM   #24
RobJor

Thoughts: Be prepared for comments you don't like. Sometimes just better to let things go. There is a private reply system to address personal issues which I have used for somewhat good result. Because you start a thread you cannot dictate the course it will take or dictate replies. The forum could be a lot rougher even a year ago. And finally there is a fine line between seeking advice, help etc and .....

Bob
RobJor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:05 AM   #25
JimThias

Quote:
Okay my question in this thread is how to better compose this on a day when the lighting would work here.
As already suggested, a little elevation would go a long way. Even you can't access the building behind you, a step ladder can make a good composition look great. I don't mind the cropping, but my main goal here would be to get higher. And when you do get that photo, make sure to fix the wide angle distortion so the buildings don't look like they're going to fall inward. Pretty simple fix.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote