Old 07-15-2016, 01:51 AM   #1
spacetrain1983

Default Another borderline shot...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2710.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	833.8 KB
ID:	9222
Today, I got this shot of a UP manifest train leaving the yard, probably around 2:15 PM. Before I even took the shot, I knew that the sun was at a bad angle. However, it was moving, so I went to the nearest crossing and got this.
What do you think? I know that the lighting on the nose is pretty bad, but it was the only one I got all day, so I figured I might as well ask.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:54 AM   #2
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetrain1983 View Post
Attachment 9222
Today, I got this shot of a UP manifest train leaving the yard, probably around 2:15 PM. Before I even took the shot, I knew that the sun was at a bad angle. However, it was moving, so I went to the nearest crossing and got this.
What do you think? I know that the lighting on the nose is pretty bad, but it was the only one I got all day, so I figured I might as well ask.
Ask what? RP acceptance? You know the answer already.

Doesn't matter if it is the only one all day. You know that too, I suspect.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:02 AM   #3
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Red face

I hate to say this but since you asked, there is nothing borderline about it. it would be a good example if they were looking for an illustration for the high sun rejection reason. Or the dreaded PEQ.

Last edited by John West; 07-15-2016 at 03:04 AM.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:27 AM   #4
KevinM

Hi Spacetrain,

As others have noted, dark nose, high sun, underexposed = no-go here.

This time of year, you can pretty much forget about shooting common, ordinary, everyday diesels between about 9:30AM and 4:00PM. Also, unless you've got sun on the nose, any attempt to upload here would probably be about as productive as banging your head against a concrete wall.

Seriously, you need to do some scouting to find locations that will be free of clutter and nicely lit around 5 or 6 PM, when the light starts to get very nice. I also recommend trying to find spots that have something more than ballast and poles for scenery. Get back from the tracks some and work some scenery into the shot. An in-your-face train shot isn't a terrible thing.....but there are way too many of them here.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:46 AM   #5
nikos1

why.........

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:04 PM   #6
miningcamper1

Do yourself a favor and get an editor with auto-adjust function. Whatever you are using is letting you down.
Even with brightness, contrast and shadow recovery adjustments, this one is probably DOA here. High sun, dark nose, generic location.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:58 PM   #7
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

Bookmark this website:

http://suncalc.net

It's a great little website that will let you see the sun angle for any given spot at any given time (although it has trouble crossing time zones)

It's a great tool for exploring new locations without leaving your PC. Combine that with Google Maps and Google Street View and you can select some spots for in-person scouting or testing.

And yeah, one of the worst parts of summer train watching is the dead time between 9:30am and 4-5pm.

And be prepared for those days where nothing works. I was in Texas for my friend's wedding and spent 2 evenings at the Trinity Greenway Park waiting for a train to cross the river. 5 trains came over the 2 day period...all of them going against the light.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:00 PM   #8
troy12n
Banned

It's not borderline, keep trying
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:02 AM   #9
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetrain1983 View Post
Attachment 9222
Today, I got this shot of a UP manifest train leaving the yard, probably around 2:15 PM. Before I even took the shot, I knew that the sun was at a bad angle.

The following is constructive criticism, the intention is to help you learn (just as I did.)

You did well to size up the light and understand it just wasn't working for the shot you had in mind. But, you took the shot anyway. What I suggest you now work on is self discipline. You look at a scene, analyze the light, and then come up with a shot that DOES work with the light. You resist wasting time on shots that you know in advance will NOT work and instead put that time & effort into clearing your mind so it will be able to put together a shot that will work.

Last Saturday I was out driving along the RCPE tracks in central South Dakota. I was gone nearly 14 hours and drove about 500 miles. The light was difficult for the kind of landscape shots I wanted. I ended up taking only about eight shots the entire day. Three were of trains, five were of tractors & combines out working the wheat harvest. One of the shots was taken after dark, and I consider it the best one. I passed on more shots than I took.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:29 PM   #10
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
The following is constructive criticism, the intention is to help you learn (just as I did.)

You did well to size up the light and understand it just wasn't working for the shot you had in mind. But, you took the shot anyway. What I suggest you now work on is self discipline. You look at a scene, analyze the light, and then come up with a shot that DOES work with the light. You resist wasting time on shots that you know in advance will NOT work and instead put that time & effort into clearing your mind so it will be able to put together a shot that will work.
Let's not forget that many of us are not just out there solely to get an excellent shot. The error here is not taking the shot but rather not recognizing it immediately, and for that matter even before it was taken, as being for the personal collection only, and perhaps for having nothing to learn from. There is no lack of self-discipline in seeing a train coming and taking the available shot; I have a zillion of those and I suspect most of us do; it's one way to enjoy the passing of a train.

I am in self-therapy, trying to teach my self to sometimes keep the camera down; but that strikes me as an advanced skill, not for beginners.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:25 PM   #11
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post

I am in self-therapy, trying to teach my self to sometimes keep the camera down; but that strikes me as an advanced skill, not for beginners.
I've been trying to unlearn the reflex of raising the camera when a train comes into view for over 30 years. I've never had to do it, but I think that giving up smoking may be easier.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:09 PM   #12
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
I've been trying to unlearn the reflex of raising the camera when a train comes into view for over 30 years. I've never had to do it, but I think that giving up smoking may be easier.
Every click in color slide days cost something like 30-40 cents. And then everyone got a motor drive or winder...$$$

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 07-19-2016 at 05:44 PM. Reason: revision
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:39 PM   #13
NorthWest

I have the opposite problem...the rare/unusual/noteworthy stuff only shows up when I don't have my camera...
NorthWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:50 PM   #14
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Every click in color slide days cost something like 30-40 cents. And then everyone got a motor drive or winder...$$$
Then there was bracketing, that turned a role of 36 exposures into a role of 12 (and of course tripled the cost per proper exposure).

Speaking of therapy, the ultimate goal is to go on a photo shoot and leave the camera at home....but that is a VERY advanced skill.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:11 AM   #15
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post

Before I got the Nikon D80, I was shooting Velvia 100 in 4x5 sheets quite a bit. At eight dollars per pop, if I didn't learn to pass up iffy shots I would have soon been flat broke!

I do sometimes just sit and listen to the train go by, without the intention of taking any shot at all. I love tight S curves. The wheels squeal!

"Every click in color slide days cost something like 30-40 cents. And then everyone got a motor drive or winder...$$$"

You could almost imagine the camera was full of quarters, and you were hearing it spit them out like water out of a hose.

Kent in SD

Last edited by Noct Foamer; 07-20-2016 at 12:15 AM.
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote