Old 02-03-2015, 09:07 PM   #226
TheOldMan

Default Homewood, South Carolina

Thanks for the reply, Joe.

I'm sure you'll enjoy shooting the repairs to the Mullins-Whiteville-Conway railroad, after R.J. Corman begins to do them.

My main camera is now in the repair shop, and all I had to shoot with in Homewood, as a handycam, basically for closeups, so these were not as sharp as I would have wanted.

First, at the farm supply company on US 701 at Homewood.

Those cars look to me like they would be in the unloading location.

Second photo is looking North on US 701, toward Loris. These 3 hopper cars are further up the same track the other 3 were on, past the grade crossing into another industry, a concrete company? Not sure. I have seen maps of the Homewood yard area, and there are one or possibly two runaround tracks and a dead end track, probably the one these two short trains are on.

-John Fogherty, Green River
TheOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:18 PM   #227
BR549

Default State of the railroad between Chadbourn and Whiteville

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR549 View Post
Some years ago, a cut of open-top hoppers that resembled coal cars were placed on the further most end of the line into Whiteville, stopping just short of downtown. It was almost as many to constitute being called a unit train. At the point of the economic crash in 2008 when more and more railcars began being put in storage, more storage cars of various type were placed on the mainline beyond the Georgia Pacific plant towards Whiteville, essentially "blocking in" the coal cars. The last time I was in Whiteville (at least 5 years ago), vegetation and trees had already overtaken the coal cars. At the point in time when the railroad shut down in 2011, there were so many storage cars on the Whiteville end of the railroad, access to Georgia Pacific had been choked out. I'm pretty certain that the cut of storage cars on the Whiteville end of the railroad now end just on the Chadbourn side of Peacocks Crossing.
On a complete whim this past Saturday, I took a roadtrip to explore the line between Mullins and Whiteville. Things have drastically changed between Chadbourn and Whiteville since the last time I was in that area ... at least 5 years ago.

The line between Chadbourn and Whiteville is only occupied by storage cars in 2 places. The first cut is located just outside of Chadbourn between the road crossings of Sunny South Rd (which parallels the tracks headed east out of Chadbourn) and Peacocks Crossing.

The line is heavily overgrown between Peacocks Crossing and the Georgia Pacific plant in Jones. There's no way anything could pass through that area without any tree/vegetation removal.

Not pictured is another cut of storage cars on the mainline between the switches of the storage track at Jones.

And just beyond the Georgia Pacific plant is a make shift scrap yard beside the tracks where someone has been busy cutting up all the cars that were previously trapped between the Georgia Pacific plant and Whiteville.

There are only 3 cars left on the track between Jones and Whiteville, and they're positioned right beside the make shift scrap yard awaiting dismantling. The track from that point on to the end of the track in Whiteville is clear with the exception of heavy vegetation overgrowth. All those open top hoppers that I had previously mentioned at Whiteville were gone.

The depot in Chadbourn was eerie looking. The Carolina Southern sign had been removed and all the windows were boarded up like a crack house in the ghetto. The 951, 2613, 958, 2005 and 950 were all sitting in close proximity to the depot along with the old M5 caboose, continuing to rust. The place looked like nothing less than what you'd see in a ghost town.

It's been mentioned on the Carolina Southern Facebook page that there's been some work going on in the Conway area. Apparently they're scrapping some old rail that's been laying beside the track. Judging from that information along with some other things I've been hearing, it sounds like the Pippins are busy trying to get every last dime out of that place before RJ Corman moves in. From what little bit I saw this past Saturday, Corman is definitely going to have their work cut out for themselves when they take over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1498.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	8872   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1513.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	8873   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1516.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	746.6 KB
ID:	8874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1517.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	979.7 KB
ID:	8875   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1518.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	8876   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1523.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	567.1 KB
ID:	8877   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1526.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	8878   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1529.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	623.5 KB
ID:	8879  
BR549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:45 AM   #228
Joe the Photog

There was a filing made to the STB on behalf of the Pippins last week. If what you say is true, they may be buying a little extra time.

http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.n...257de300474517
Old 02-25-2015, 05:10 PM   #229
TheOldMan

I suppose by now that everyone has seen the report in section B of today's Myrtle Beach Sun-News about the court ruling on the 30 hopper cars stranded at the crushed stone plant at Pine Island.

Here's a link:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/201...tle-beach.html

And, a link to a report by hawaiinewsnow:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...-stranded-cars

Old 03-04-2015, 08:08 PM   #230
TheOldMan

Default Any News . . . ?

Next week, it will be a month since RJ Corman's date for "consummation" of their purchase of Carolina Southern, of February 11, and Carolina Southern's FSTB filing the week before that of February 11, that contrary to what RJ Corman had said in their earlier filing, that CS's board of directors had not approved the sale.

Anyone hear any news about what might be happening?

I'm going to visit the SLBC filings page, to see if there have been any filings by either railroad since B&A dba CS RR' s last filing.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:11 PM   #231
troy12n
Banned

Another shortline owner shyster!
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:54 PM   #232
TheOldMan

Default Thanks for the Post

Thanks for the post, Troy!

It's been awhile, and your comments are always a delight to read.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:11 PM   #233
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
Thanks for the post, Troy!

It's been awhile, and your comments are always a delight to read.
I have no idea why you people are posting to this thread, it's going on 4 years and you are all talking about a dead railroad, where nothing has happened but some shyster shortline owner getting one over on society

Weekly status update: some more grass grew, the trees growing inbetween the gauge got bigger, the rails are still rusty
Old 03-14-2015, 01:21 AM   #234
BR549

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I have no idea why you people are posting to this thread, it's going on 4 years and you are all talking about a dead railroad, where nothing has happened but some shyster shortline owner getting one over on society

Weekly status update: some more grass grew, the trees growing inbetween the gauge got bigger, the rails are still rusty
Troy, I have no idea why you keep reading this thread ... considering you don't have a dog in this fight.

In other news, RJ Corman is taking Carolina Southern to court, which they threatened to do if a deal weren't worked out in a timely manner. That's all that's really mentioned in the following article ...
http://www.myhorrynews.com/paid_cont...cb41e534e.html

And today, RJ Corman posted on their Facebook page that they're holding a Job Fair in Nicholasville, KY tomorrow. They're looking to hire multiple Operator and Laborer positions on their traveling Construction crews as well as other positions with their company. They stated the job fair stemmed from "rapid growth". Unless they have acquired more business elsewhere recently, it sounds like they're rounding up the troops.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:13 PM   #235
ShortlinesUSA

Thanks for the useful info BR549 and TOM. Yeah, life was just fine without Troy, but he decided he needed some attention and has decided to grace us with his presence again.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:31 PM   #236
troy12n
Banned

You want me on that wall... you NEED me on that wall
Old 03-17-2015, 04:36 AM   #237
BR549

Another article concerning the RJ Corman/Carolina Southern sale dispute. This article goes into more detail than the original article that was posted last week. It also brings to light additional drama facing the Pippins.
http://www.scnow.com/news/business/a...620fdec22.html
Old 03-17-2015, 12:11 PM   #238
ShortlinesUSA

One of the thoughts which crossed my mind when the sale was announced was "The Pippins will manage to screw this up somehow." Looks like that is well underway. Thanks for the additional link.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:14 PM   #239
TheOldMan

Default Textof Carolina Southern filing

Here is the text of the filing the Carolina Southern filing by their attorney Louis Gitomer, the week before the date of the consummation of the sale was expected to take place by RJ Corman.

ENTERED

Office of Proceedings

February 4, 2015

Part of Public Record

Ms. Cynthia T. Brown
Chief of the Section Administration, Office of Proceedings
Surface Transportation Board
395 E Street, S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20423

[b][i]RE: Docket No. FD35897, R.J. Corman Railroad Company/Carolina Lines, LLC-Acquisition and Operation Exemption-The Baltimore and Annapolis Railroad Company, d/b/a Carolina Southern Railroad Company[b/][i]

Dear Ms. Brown:

The Baltimore and Annapolis Railroad Company, d/b/a Carolina Southern Railroad Company ("Carolina Southern") notifies the Surface Transportation Board that contrary to the representations made by R.J. Corman Railroad Company/Carolina Carolina Lines, LLC ("Applicant") in the Notice of Exemption filed on January 12, 2015, at pages 3-4, that the agreement is not a final agreement, but an executory contract, titled Terms of Agreement, subject to the approval of the interested parties' Boards of Directors. The Board of Directors of Carolina southern, an interested party as the seller, has not approved the Terms of Agreement or a formal written agreement. However, Carolina Southern hopes to enter a formal agreement with Applicant in short order.

This letter is being efiled. If you have any questions, please call or email me.

Sincerely yours,

Louis E. Gitomer
Attorney for The Baltimore and Annapolis
Railroad Company, d/b/a Carolina Southern
Railroad Company Cd: Mr. Wimbish

This letter is being efiled. If you have any questions, please call me.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:32 PM   #240
TheOldMan

Here's a link to a story on the latest meeting of the Interstate Railroad Committee.

http://www.myhorrynews.com/paid_cont...210932b7d.html

Old 04-18-2015, 05:28 PM   #241
TheOldMan

Default Latest News on Interstate Railroad Committee

That newspaper story in my last post seems to be one that is not complete.

I has the "subscription required," notice afterward.

I think that Lacy, who I have occasionally had email communication with, who I did meet at Committee meetings, writes for a Whiteville North Carolina newspaper, and I do not want to drive that far in my car to get a copy of the whole story.

I might have related my aborted efforts to find Whiteville newspapers in Loris, South Carolina, some time back.

Loris is drivng farther than I'd want to, but I think that some of Lacy's stories might have also been in another newspaper that was available in, or near Loris.

I have thought of making a trip to Chadburn, to see and photograph the 18 or 19 car BP chemical train, if it is still on the house track at the Chadburn depot, and even to Nichols & Mullins to visit the tobacco museum, and see if there is any activity on that still useable part of Carolina Southern.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:27 PM   #242
BR549

This comment was posted to the Carolina Southern Facebook page:

It looks like the lawsuit is scheduled to enter arbitration or mediation on Sept 30th. So it may still be a while.

A newspaper article from early this year predicted trains to be running by the spring. Looks more like spring of next year at this point.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:07 PM   #243
ShortlinesUSA

Thanks for the update. It is truly amazing how long this has dragged out. I would say there is little chance of an arbitrator/mediator seeing much in the Pippin's favor. I would rather see it go to an arbitrated settlement. I think that would ultimately go more quickly and just close the book on this saga, one way or another.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:56 PM   #244
ShortlinesUSA

And there is good news today! I am very glad to see this settled without a court battle.

http://www.progressiverailroading.co...outhern--44880

Old 06-25-2015, 08:56 PM   #245
TheOldMan

Glad that it won't go on until September as was first expected.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:41 PM   #246
mowingman

It will really be a sight to see, when those Corman crews go to work on that line. They will have a huge crew and massive amounts of equipment when they roll into town. I saw them do a complete upgrade/rebuild of a long idle coal-hauling line in southern W.Va. It is amazing what they can accomplish in a short amount of time.
mowingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:31 PM   #247
troy12n
Banned

So when is corman going to start scrapping the line?
Old 06-29-2015, 10:32 PM   #248
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowingman View Post
It will really be a sight to see, when those Corman crews go to work on that line. They will have a huge crew and massive amounts of equipment when they roll into town. I saw them do a complete upgrade/rebuild of a long idle coal-hauling line in southern W.Va. It is amazing what they can accomplish in a short amount of time.
There was money to be made on that line, assuming you are talking about the Loup Creek sub out of Thurmond to Oak Hill, WV... it's a money maker for them, not sure there is any money to be made here
Old 06-30-2015, 02:05 AM   #249
mowingman

Yes, Loup Creek is the line I was thinking of.
I am sure they have done their homework. There is money to be made somewhere on this line, or they would not be working this hard to make the deal happen.
mowingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:45 PM   #250
TheOldMan

Default Horry County Railroad

I had been wondering if RJ Corman would be interested i the Conway-Myrtle Beach track owned by Horry County, since owners of the crushed stone plant at Pine Island had told Mr. Pippin, that they would be making no more shipments to that location.

I suppose that the plant could be sold to another crushed stone shipper who would want to ship there.

But, for the present, New South and 84 Lumber, Bulider's First Source, and Lowes, are all reliatively small volume shippers.

Coastal Biodiesel, which cleaned tank cars and shipped cooking oil in tank cars, has apparently gone out of business. I'm wondering if they would reopen if the railroad were once again operating?

Actually, the possibility of once again getting the kind of high volume traffic needed for a successful and profitable railroad is the same on all parts of the track from Mullins, on to Whiteville, Conway and Myrtle Beach, is very iffy, although I know that Corman would not be investing so much in the railroad purchase and repairs if they didn't think they had a good chance of getting high volume traffic.

In the Myrtle Beach Herald of July 3, 2015, this question is answered in an article at the bottom of the front page, titled, "You may have to stop, look and listen again," continued on page 2.

" . . . The agreement does not include the 15-mile stretch of rail that runs between Conway and Myrtle Beach. That line is owned by Horry County and has been leased to Carolina Southern.

"Bill Henderson, vice-president of sales and marketing for Corman, said the company is in negotiations with the county for that line and he's optimistic they'll be able to come up with suitable terms for a lease.

"He said once the rail is set to re-open, corman will launch a public awareness campaign to let people know to watch for trains again.

" 'Folks along The line have not been used to watching for trains at intersections and we want them to be aware the line is in operation,' Henderson said. 'Safety has always been a top priority for us'

Tom O'Dare 448-7261"