Old 03-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
IHapsias

Post Poor Lighting

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=909926&key=0

So, what makes it poor lighting if its snowing?
Old 03-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
coborn35

Its just not a good shot, composition, lighting, or angle wise.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
Freericks
Met Fan

Sorry to say, Ian... but this one is for the personal collection.

It is a roster shot only. There is no rainy day/snowy day allowance on roster shots (unless they were taken a long time ago, are of something brand new and rare that is not yet in the database, or have some artistic element to them (which by definition, a roster shot doesn't have - so that last point is a bit of a tagent).

That being said, how could you make the shot better? I would suggest elevation. The biggest problem here is the dirty sheet rock sky. It's utterly unappealing. If you were able to shoot down, you could elminate that and get a more interesting image.

It's a cool capture, and a cool engine, and if were standing there, I would certainly have shot it myself. But it's not right for this site.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
troy12n
Banned

I saw this unit in Roanoke when I was there in October and wondered what it was. I could not get a good shot of it because it was partially blocked by some other stuff, and a fence.

Not a good shot.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Yep Not what they want on here. There is no art to it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #6
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Agreed. Not much here that makes it a good photo. Another Railroad Archives candidate. Why did you shoot it like that? You would've been better off to do a wedge, including the caboose (or other railcar to the right).. Instead, you did a bad angle overcast roster shot of it. Nothing real good there.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #7
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

The reason snow shots are allowed is (presumably) because they add an element of drama and struggle to a photo - Railroad verses nature. On a roster shot, it just obscures what you're looking at.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #8
PArailfan

Power lines, typical angle, all that bad stuff. Personally, I like any train shot in the snow. It should get views if you put it on Railroadpicturearchives.net.
PArailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Its just not a good shot, composition, lighting, or angle wise.
All right, i have plenty other angels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Sorry to say, Ian... but this one is for the personal collection.

It is a roster shot only. There is no rainy day/snowy day allowance on roster shots (unless they were taken a long time ago, are of something brand new and rare that is not yet in the database, or have some artistic element to them (which by definition, a roster shot doesn't have - so that last point is a bit of a tagent).

That being said, how could you make the shot better? I would suggest elevation. The biggest problem here is the dirty sheet rock sky. It's utterly unappealing. If you were able to shoot down, you could elminate that and get a more interesting image.

It's a cool capture, and a cool engine, and if were standing there, I would certainly have shot it myself. But it's not right for this site.
Completely understandable, I did not come un-prepared and did shoot quite a few angels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
Agreed. Not much here that makes it a good photo. Another Railroad Archives candidate. Why did you shoot it like that? You would've been better off to do a wedge, including the caboose (or other railcar to the right).. Instead, you did a bad angle overcast roster shot of it. Nothing real good there.

Chase
I have a wedge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
The reason snow shots are allowed is (presumably) because they add an element of drama and struggle to a photo - Railroad verses nature. On a roster shot, it just obscures what you're looking at.
All right, I understand, live and learn works in this case. Will keep that in mind for next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PArailfan View Post
Power lines, typical angle, all that bad stuff. Personally, I like any train shot in the snow. It should get views if you put it on Railroadpicturearchives.net.
I see, now the poles, I had 0 control over that, no matter what the angle was.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
PLEzero

Grumpy’s World - Roster Shots:

http://blog.grumpysworld.com/?page_id=11

Print, read, learn, prosper.
My RP.net Photos

Last edited by PLEzero; 03-07-2011 at 09:29 PM.
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:55 PM   #11
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero View Post

I would take some of what he says with a grain of salt however.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 03-07-2011, 10:13 PM   #12
nikos1

Quote:

Chase
Ok, was saving these for an appropriate time.....
Image © Chase Gunnoe
PhotoID: 354068
Photograph © Chase Gunnoe

Image © Chase Gunnoe
PhotoID: 347511

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
That being said, both the shots suck, snowy days are not for roster shots.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1

Last edited by nikos1; 03-07-2011 at 10:16 PM.
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #13
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero View Post

Thanks for the link... I used to love reading Grumpy but had stopped at some point, and then completely lost the link and had no idea he was still posting (or had started again).

My only issue with the blog in general is that he is so particular that he, in a sense, ruins some of my own shots for me, because i know he would reject them. Living in an urban area, for example, garbarge, telephone poles, and billboards are not possible to avoid. They just have to be worked into the shot.

Still, really great reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHapsias View Post
All right, i have plenty other angels

Completely understandable, I did not come un-prepared and did shoot quite a few angels.

I have a wedge.
Forget the trains... let's see some of those angels. I'm confused by the last line, however... are you golfing with the divine messengers? (Sorry... all in good fun... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
Image © Chase Gunnoe

Image © Chase Gunnoe

Well... um wow... I am a loss there. Those images completely undermine my entire post (although I stand by it, and Ween will surely have some more fun with it). Still... not my flavor and I wouldn't recommend heavy snowfall roster shots.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #14
PLEzero

Quote:
Thanks for the link... I used to love reading Grumpy but had stopped at some point, and then completely lost the link and had no idea he was still posting (or had started again).

My only issue with the blog in general is that he is so particular that he, in a sense, ruins some of my own shots for me, because i know he would reject them. Living in an urban area, for example, garbarge, telephone poles, and billboards are not possible to avoid. They just have to be worked into the shot.

Still, really great reading.
Grumpy comes and goes. He has always had a habit of randomly disappearing and then reemerging after a hiatus. He is exceptionally picky and that often makes for some great reads. However, I can only take so much negativity before I get bored with it. He's has some really good advice as long as you read with the proper understanding of who is writing it.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:54 PM   #15
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
Image © Chase Gunnoe

Image © Chase Gunnoe

Nikos,

Sure, they're not the greatest photos, in terms of composition and uniqueness, but I find it a bit wrong to say they suck. The quality, color, and contrast is fine. You can not tell me that Ians' photo looks better than that. Compare the quality.. There is a noticeable difference.

The difference is that mine is a DSLR while Ian shoots with a P&S. That is why I submit the occasional roster, especially on older stuff. From a quality standpoint, mine are flawless. As you know, I'm still more of a creative scene
type of guy!

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #16
coborn35

Thats pretty cocky.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:06 PM   #17
nikos1

Quote:
Nikos,

Sure, they're not the greatest photos, in terms of composition and uniqueness, but I find it a bit wrong to say they suck. The quality, color, and contrast is fine. You can not tell me that Ians' photo looks better than that. Compare the quality.. There is a noticeable difference.

The difference is that mine is a DSLR while Ian shoots with a P&S. That is why I submit the occasional roster, especially on older stuff. From a quality standpoint, mine are flawless. As you know, I'm still more of a creative scene
type of guy!

Chase
You know better than to submit shots like that, I did not say Ians was better, I think they are both pretty bad, to say your shot is flawless is quite a huge overstatement, its something that could have easily been taken on a sunny day and would have looked much better. The huge expanse of white sky above the units doesnt help either The kind of camera has nothing to do with it.
This is a better example of how to shoot stationary power in the snow, the accumulation of the snow on the unit makes it an interesting shot, the best part was it was taken with a 150 dollar point and shoot.
Image © David Stewart
PhotoID: 273882
Photograph © David Stewart

In your shot the snow is more of an obstruction rather than a compositional element. I wouldve rejected for obstructing objects, and bad lighting, theres nothing artistic about a roster in the snow, and the snow makes it a bad roster as well.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:12 PM   #18
Joe the Photog

Quote:
\
If I've ever read this Grumpy, it must have been a long time ago. But if he say one should avoid shooting poles and billboards, I have to disagree. I like to shoot anything that "places" the shot and if you're in an urban dwelling, those things are part of the setting. Honestly, I kinda wish I could get more billboards in some of my shots.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #19
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
\
If I've ever read this Grumpy, it must have been a long time ago. But if he say one should avoid shooting poles and billboards, I have to disagree. I like to shoot anything that "places" the shot and if you're in an urban dwelling, those things are part of the setting. Honestly, I kinda wish I could get more billboards in some of my shots.

Come visit LA, Joe... At some point in time both the ATSF and SP seem to have sold the rights to place billboards along all of their lines that are visible from local streets. There are some lines where it's just crazy.

I noted trackside billboards in Houtson, when visiting there too.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #20
IHapsias

Quote:
mine are flawless.
Sorry, no photo is flawless, regardless of how nice it may look.

Quote:
Nikos,

type of guy!

Chase
Quote:
There is no rainy day/snowy day allowance on roster shots (unless they were taken a long time ago, are of something brand new and rare that is not yet in the database, or have some artistic element to them (which by definition, a roster shot doesn't have - so that last point is a bit of a tagent).
Not calling you out Chase, just saying.

But anyways, how does this attached file look?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1673.JPG (559.6 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by IHapsias; 03-08-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #21
Freericks
Met Fan

That second quote is me, not Chase.

Ian, did you get a shot with the unit and caboose reflected in the puddle?
Old 03-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #22
crazytiger

@Joe, He was talking especially about rosters.

@Chase, to say those are "technically flawless" is an extreme overstatement. What should be obvious to you is the extremely blown-out sky. Your statement misses the mark. EDIT: I personally like them, but as far as rosters, they suck.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:20 PM   #23
Joe the Photog

I love some of these shots that I guess Grumpy would disapprove of --

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

It's my my most popular L&C shot. I'm sure Jim will advise that I can "fix" that wide angle "distortion."

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Old 03-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #24
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
@Joe, He was talking especially about rosters.
Ah, that does make sense, since this thread is mostly about rosters. I felt the sudden need to defend poles and billboards.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #25
IHapsias

And Charles, don't you love typo's?