Old 04-19-2007, 07:17 AM   #1
SD70MACMAN
The man with the plan

Send a message via AIM to SD70MACMAN
Thumbs up I proved my professor wrong!

I was able to prove my professor wrong. In my public speaking class, I was able to make trains the main focus of all 4 speeches we had to give. He said it was not possible and apparently I have done the impossible.

The 4 speeches and what they were about:
Introductory: I talked about how I like trains and they were a main part of my life (Im going to be a transportation engineer)
Informative: Talked about WSU and how Pullman is named after the RR can manuf and engineering program + trains
Special Occasion: TGV press conference after they broke the world speed record
Persuasive: Persuading that trains are the best form of transportation

Since I have no idea whats going on in calculus, I finally feel that I've accomplished something this semester.

UP's new slogan for Amtrak:
"We'll help you spread you wings and fly right into a siding!"

TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS!!! May the fun never end!
I'm a traitor! Im on JP.net! But all my plane shots involve trains!

BN FOREVER!

Last edited by SD70MACMAN; 04-19-2007 at 07:53 AM.
SD70MACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:11 PM   #2
jfusaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD70MACMAN

Since I have no idea whats going on in calculus, I finally feel that I've accomplished something this semester.

don't worry about the calculus thing... it sounds like you have a more promising career in politics, instead.

jeffrey fusaro
jfusaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
Railfan Ohio

Way to stick it to the man Mike! People at my school are shocked about how much I like trains and the places I've been. One teacher was also in disbelief that we stayed purposely at a place only 20 feet from the tracks on vacation. However, I think I'll stay quiet on the calculus subject.

B&O: the First, the Best
Pennsy: the Standard, but still #2

My pix:http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=11344
Railfan Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:58 PM   #4
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
I was able to prove my professor wrong. In my public speaking class, I was able to make trains the main focus of all 4 speeches we had to give. He said it was not possible and apparently I have done the impossible.

The 4 speeches and what they were about:
Introductory: I talked about how I like trains and they were a main part of my life (Im going to be a transportation engineer)
Informative: Talked about WSU and how Pullman is named after the RR can manuf and engineering program + trains
Special Occasion: TGV press conference after they broke the world speed record
Persuasive: Persuading that trains are the best form of transportation

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Nice work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railfan Ohio
People at my school are shocked about how much I like trains and the places I've been. One teacher was also in disbelief that we stayed purposely at a place only 20 feet from the tracks on vacation.
LMAO! That's too funny. A lot of people are jealous of all the traveling I do, but when I say that I plan on going to Iowa and Kansas in the summer and again to Oklahoma they look at me funny. Sure beats the overcrowded Jersey shore, for me at least!

I honestly think we college railfans have an advantage when picking topics over most people who's only hobbies include shopping, being annoying on the phone, etc. There is a lot of material on railroads at hand to use. I had trouble coming up with a topic for a paper last quarter in English II and I ended up doing it on the "timeline" of the steam locomotive. It was the most fun I've ever had writing a paper.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:26 AM   #5
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
I had trouble coming up with a topic for a paper last quarter in English II and I ended up doing it on the "timeline" of the steam locomotive. It was the most fun I've ever had writing a paper.
I can relate there: high-school essay on the life of James J. Hill.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:25 AM   #6
CNWFreak

7th grade-7 pages on the history of EMD and their products.

Railpictures.net

RR Picture Archives
CNWFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:37 AM   #7
Studogg120

For my 8th grade english report...well you can pretty much guess what I did it on. My teacher was amazed on how much I knew about trains. So, that made me happy.
Studogg120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:32 AM   #8
Railfan Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNWFreak
7th grade-7 pages on the history of EMD and their products.
Seven pages in seventh grade? When I was in seventh I didn't write more than two. Although if it was on EMD, I could see how...

B&O: the First, the Best
Pennsy: the Standard, but still #2

My pix:http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=11344
Railfan Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:26 AM   #9
SD70MACMAN
The man with the plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker
I can relate there: high-school essay on the life of James J. Hill.
Same here. Senior year, honors history paper. My topic was a little different though. Mine was on Hill and his effect on the creation of the Great Northern line over Stevens Pass. It was fun to write and I used a book that was written by a RP.net photog from the Northwest, Martin Burwash. Its a good read!

People are shocked too that my secrete railfanning/camping spot is 20' from the tracks. They make it sound like I'm weird.

BN FOREVER!
Old 04-20-2007, 04:50 AM   #10
CNWFreak

7 pages wasn't that bad for a research paper, this year I did 11 pages on the Rolling Stones for 8th grade.

Railpictures.net

RR Picture Archives
Old 04-20-2007, 04:44 PM   #11
PLEzero

For your best interests, I trust there are not any hotties in this class.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:36 AM   #12
CNWFreak

Why would that be in my best interest? Everybody had to do a paper 7-11 pages long, on a subject of thier choice. (And yes there are some, but were good friends.)

Railpictures.net

RR Picture Archives
Old 04-24-2007, 03:15 AM   #13
Joe the Photog

My first gader had to do a presentation to his classs on some of the things he does with his family. He did it on how we go "looking at trains" complete with his own drawings of the L&C, a CSX "cold train" -- we're still working on the coal thing -- and a painting of us in our car chasing them!

His teacher said the class loved it.

Joe
Old 04-24-2007, 03:32 AM   #14
Flowing

I wrote a comparison/contrast paper back in 11th grade comparing TVRM 610 and GSMR 1702. There was no oral presentation, thus no concern over looking like a weirdo in front of girls. I'm sure none of my peers would have wanted to listen to me rant about valve gear and headlights.

Image © John Higginson
PhotoID: 162911
Photograph © John Higginson

Image © John Higginson
PhotoID: 130800
Photograph © John Higginson

Last edited by Flowing; 04-24-2007 at 03:39 AM.
Flowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:31 AM   #15
SD70MACMAN
The man with the plan

I've stopped caring about what girls think of my train addiction. The bight side is that its so unique girls are actually intrigued by it. A few days ago, a hot chick from my speech class walked up to me and said "I have no idea what your name is, but you're the guy who likes trains and I wanted to say hi". So it leaves a lasting impression and its something people remember about me (a lot more said than most people who I meet who are bland and have no defining characteristics). Yeah, its a bit dorky, but dorky is cute.

BN FOREVER!
Old 04-24-2007, 01:45 PM   #16
jfusaro

Quote:
I've stopped caring about what girls think of my train addiction. The bight side is that its so unique girls are actually intrigued by it. A few days ago, a hot chick from my speech class walked up to me and said "I have no idea what your name is, but you're the guy who likes trains and I wanted to say hi". So it leaves a lasting impression and its something people remember about me (a lot more said than most people who I meet who are bland and have no defining characteristics). Yeah, its a bit dorky, but dorky is cute.

what a hoot! ROFLOL!

if you really want to be 'cute', try wearing the "STILL PLAYS WITH CHOO-CHOO'S" tee-shirt into class one day.

that'll definitely leave a lasting impression.

who knows.... you might need to print up your own train geek business cards to hand out to all the admirers.

good story!

jeffrey fusaro
jfusaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:56 PM   #17
Joe the Photog

With all due seriousness, if you pretend not to be something you atually are -- in this case, a railfan -- you're not really helping yourself find someone who will like you for who you are. And you're not helping the girls either. You should be who you are. It doesn't mean you should take girls on railfanning trips as first dates, but it's silly to hide that you like trains.

My wife loves that I like trains and likes (likes, not loves) to go with me and our children railfanning. She also loves it when it's just me and my son out trackside. I always marvel at these men I know whose wife bitches and fusses when he wants to go watch trains. Did she not know this about him when they got married? Maybe not, actually. Maybe he hid that part of him from her.

Hey, some guys hunt deer. Some guys play golf. We chase trains!

Joe
Old 04-24-2007, 07:07 PM   #18
WetRailsWA

Send a message via MSN to WetRailsWA

Quote:
  • Introductory: I talked about how I like trains and they were a main part of my life (Im going to be a transportation engineer)
  • Informative: Talked about WSU and how Pullman is named after the RR can manuf and engineering program + trains
  • Special Occasion: TGV press conference after they broke the world speed record
  • Persuasive: Persuading that trains are the best form of transportation
Maybe you should be running Amtrak

WetRailsWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:33 AM   #19
MacTown

Hey thats pretty interesting, I'm taking the same class this semester, wouldve liked to hear your speeches. I just got serious about this hobby a couple months ago so pretty much none of my friends know, i'll probably catch some hell from some of them when they find out, Im probably the last type of person you'd expect to be into trains, im a QB for the football team at the college I go to. Football players are too cool for stuff like that huh. Hey macman that hottie sounds pretty interested in you and your knowledge of trains yah might want to indulge her some more . Joe I love golfing but now every nice day that comes around I find myself track side!
MacTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:27 PM   #20
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
With all due seriousness, if you pretend not to be something you atually are -- in this case, a railfan -- you're not really helping yourself find someone who will like you for who you are. And you're not helping the girls either. You should be who you are. It doesn't mean you should take girls on railfanning trips as first dates, but it's silly to hide that you like trains.

Joe
So true, Joe! If a girl is going to think you're weird for doing something you enjoy she's not worth the time no matter how much of a hottie she is. I tell everyone what I do because I take photos that all kinds of people enjoy (hint to upcoming photo article). Almost all of my friends are girls so I really can't hide it from all of them and some actually ask ME when we can "stalk trains" its quite humorous. I make it a point to show them what its all about and it helps having the NEC which is fairly impressive to a non-railfan (constant action and speed). Some like it and some don't.

As for a railfanning trip as a first date, its not always bad. I forced my current girlfriend to go with me to wait for the circus train on the Shared Assets Lehigh Line the first time we went out. She had no problem with it so I asked her out. LOL So long story short, there will be at least one girl who doesn't think you are a weirdo for being a railfan so if she's cute I would try to end up with her.

P.S. Another way to get someone into railfanning is to actually chase a train to show it as something exciting. Sitting on a mainline is not always too thrilling, but then again there could be a lot of down time.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:59 PM   #21
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Let's see...6th Grade I wrote a speech on the history of the Santa Fe Railway, and in 7th Grade, for our Illinois History project, I did it on the CB&Q.

Oh, and the key to taking your girlfriend railfanning is to stealthily combine it with some other activity, like fishing, biking, or hiking.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote