Old 04-20-2009, 03:32 AM   #1
Aleks Stefanovic

Default Any suggestions?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=219412586

I reduced the saturation a bit but got it again for the same rejection. This was the original submission.
Aleks Stefanovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:52 AM   #2
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Looks bland, you need more color not less. The red on the lead looks bland, and what sky? The sky is the killer for me, its not blown out or over saturated, it's just GRAY!

Ben
Old 04-22-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
Aleks Stefanovic

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=674104&key=0

Made some adjustments to the shot and got this rejection.

So I went back to the original full size shot and re-edited from there & got this rejection.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=674675&key=0

Any thoughts or advice on how I can fix this?

Last edited by Aleks Stefanovic; 04-22-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Rich K

I don't think you can do much more to correct for the screener's latest rejection. It appears that he is trying to say he doesn't like the shot no matter what you do.

It seems to me that "Bad Angle: The angle from which the image was composed is poor. This can include extreme angles below or above the subject, uninteresting angles on roster shots, and images in which the train is going away from the viewer" is sort of the kiss of death.

Webmaster of The Railfan Gallery

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.net
Rich K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
shanedeemer

The other problem with that photo is high sun. Look at the shadows on the front of the locomotive.
shanedeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

It still looks hazy to me. Now it looks to bright and hazy, AND washed out still. The compression is still out of this world. Unless there is a unit behind those hoppers on the left hand side, the tree(s) shouldn't look artifacty. Dood, just let this one go.

Ben
Old 04-23-2009, 05:41 PM   #7
Aleks Stefanovic

No problem with letting it go but I have a hard time understanding the rejection for bad angle ... as to me it is pretty much a 3/4 wedgie.
When a screener makes a rejection and I post it on here what I'm hoping for is comments or suggestions as to how I can improve the rejected shot either to get it accepted or to give me ideas as to how to do it better the next time.
As for the comment about sun, the shot was taken at 4:37pm about this time of year. If this is still considered high sun at this time of day how much later in the day would it need to be?
As for hazy comment, I agree it was a bit hazy that day, not much I can do to fix that but the comment about compression I need to understand better. My eyes have not been trained to recognize this. Can you tell me where you see it.
Not sure how this occurs. I edited the shot as normal with the last 2 steps being re-size followed by sharpening. It's the same way I do all my shots. What would cause compression? Again I'm trying to learn from any comments or suggestions.
Bottom line for me, I like the shot which at the end of the day is what's important to me.
What I'm still working on overall is to determine what I need to do or look at in the future when I'm taking or editing shots. I've only been submitting shots since January and have managed to get a few up so I know I can get acceptable shots up here but most are older shots from before I started sending shots in. As I get more of these up and get rejections as well it provides me with guidance for my current photo taking. I've learned more and applied more to my post processing already and just need to understand the digital age better as I come from the slide film era.
Again any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Last edited by Aleks Stefanovic; 04-23-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:29 PM   #8
JRMDC

a few misc comments

bad angle - I'm not sure what that means here. I have noticed that sometimes RP prefers a almost-all-nose shot, or a shot with equal nose and side, but a shot that is a lot of nose and very little side doesn't do well. So that might be what is meant.

Giving short shrift to the side is especially problematic for a Draper taper!

crop - I would have given bad cropping. On the left, the ground signal is too close to the edge. On the right, the structure is cropped very awkwardly. I can't tell what it is, I can't figure out how wide it goes off-frame (is it a chimney?).

haze - try Local Contrast Enhancement as a part of your processing. In PS this is done with an unsharp mask of 20/60/0 instead of the usual settings for sharpening. This is in addition to the regular sharpening.

high sun - I don't see it, trucks are lit, railhead shadows not too big

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:12 PM   #9
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks Stefanovic View Post
No problem with letting it go but I have a hard time understanding the rejection for bad angle ... as to me it is pretty much a 3/4 wedgie.
I don't believe bad angle always refers to just the angle to the train itself. I think sometimes it has to do with the placement of the train in a particular scene, and could probably be interchanged with a bad cropping reject. In this case, the angle to the train you have is unappealing in the surroundings, complete with a cut off building on the right and a switch stand that's too close to the frame on the left. If you were to open this scene up a bit and compose it differently, you might not run into the bad angle rejection.

Another type of bad angle rejection might include something sticking out of the top of the loco, like a telephone pole or something as unattractive. A simple movement to the left or right or even lower, eliminating the object, can change that bad angle rejection to an acceptable photo.

Here's an example of a shot that was originally hit for bad angle:

Image © Jonathon Leese
PhotoID: 247918
Photograph © Jonathon Leese

Jon's original shot was a frame earlier, and had the red crane sticking right out of the top of the lead loco. Fortunately he fired off a few more frames after that one, and this one was accepted because the angle of the train in relation to the offending objects was a bit different.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 04-23-2009 at 10:18 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote