Old 02-19-2015, 12:12 AM   #76
bigbassloyd

No issue with the colors here, either. I've been witness to some spectacular sunrises and sunsets.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:21 AM   #77
mersenne6

Under the right atmospheric conditions skies just on either side of sunrise or sunset will look like that
mersenne6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:29 AM   #78
NorthWest

Sunsets in the PNW have looked like that the last couple days. Today was sadly less dramatic.
NorthWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:44 AM   #79
SFO777

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
The clouds look fine to me, but then again, I'm comparing it to the clouds in a sunrise photo I took of Denver back in December. Similar texture and similar looking image quality.]
I disagree. The clouds in your photo look fine (nice pic) whereas the clouds in the other one look posterized, almost like an old video game graphics quality.

But if I am the only one seeing this, I am happy to blame my eyes.

But I do see a clear distinction between the Carter and the Thias sunset pics.

My point is that there is no reason why a photo with these issues shouldn't be on RP. Witness, it is a screener's choice despite this obvious flaw.

Why doesn't RP become more lenient in other areas like shooting the dark side of trains and what not? You see this all the time in mags. It's relaly not a probelm except for the pahrisees here.
SFO777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:17 AM   #80
DelmonteX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
The people have voted and this photo is getting wide acclaim. Image of the day on trainorders. Most popular on RP. Now screener's choice, but should it have been accepted by RP? To me, yes, but isn't there a LIQ issue with the orange clouds? This is just an example of why images with flaws should be accepted rather than rejected and throw into the dust by the mavens of RP, citing "low aesthetic quality", and the full range of the photo should be accepted at look at rather just the light on the nose, etc.

Image © Steve Carter
PhotoID: 519515
Photograph © Steve Carter
Taking a look back at my Lightroom settings, the raw file was adjusted with a +43 clarity and a saturation of +16. This is just about typical for what I do for all of my photos (it's part of my import process). A bit of sharpening and noise reduction and there you have it. Pretty much what I saw standing there. The issue you may have with the clouds and the color are a problem with nature. The day before the local media was awash in cell phone camera photos of the sunset that was more spectacular than this one ( I missed it). Come on out and enjoy some of the sunsets we have. One of the reasons I love living here.

My Railpictures.net photos

My other photos
DelmonteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:11 AM   #81
SFO777

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmonteX View Post
Taking a look back at my Lightroom settings, the raw file was adjusted with a +43 clarity and a saturation of +16. This is just about typical for what I do for all of my photos (it's part of my import process). A bit of sharpening and noise reduction and there you have it. Pretty much what I saw standing there. The issue you may have with the clouds and the color are a problem with nature. The day before the local media was awash in cell phone camera photos of the sunset that was more spectacular than this one ( I missed it). Come on out and enjoy some of the sunsets we have. One of the reasons I love living here.
Thx Steve for sharing the info. I think it is just my eyes because others aren't seeing what I am seeing. Nice catch and keep up the good work.

I have a lot of photos that railpictures will not post which for the usual reasons. They may have flaws, but they are interesting and worth sharing. But they have the most boring hidebound rules-oriented mindset. I hope they will lighten up and start appreciating true art.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:22 PM   #82
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersenne6 View Post
Under the right atmospheric conditions skies just on either side of sunrise or sunset will look like that
Sunsets here regularly look like that during the winter...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:29 AM   #83
SFO777

Great photo but I don't understand the bell shape of the sunlight...looks unreal to my eye. Thoughts?
Image © Dennis A. Livesey
PhotoID: 524268
Photograph © Dennis A. Livesey
Old 03-23-2015, 07:40 AM   #84
miningcamper1

Quote:
Great photo but I don't understand the bell shape of the sunlight...looks unreal to my eye. Thoughts?
Image © Dennis A. Livesey
PhotoID: 524268
Photograph © Dennis A. Livesey
Just the right amount of thin cloud I'd guess. Here's a more obvious bell shape:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/murrayh77/8764805011/

BTW, did someone say that RP won't take widescreen?

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:40 AM   #85
SFO777

yeah but there is no gradation at all between the dull corners of the sky and the saturated bell part. To be it looks drawn in in paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:14 PM   #86
Noct Foamer

Quote:
yeah but there is no gradation at all between the dull corners of the sky and the saturated bell part. To be it looks drawn in in paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky.

Cameras still can't replicate nature with complete accuracy. Add to this that everything you see online is an 8-bit jpeg, which dramatically restricts the color graduation. As for the saturation slider, I used to use it all the time, but now I rarely bump it more than 8%, if I touch it at all.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:08 AM   #87
SFO777

Ok. I'm looking at this on an iMac screen and it looks a whole lot better. The gradation I was talking about is now there. Doesn't look drawn in at all, looks natural. So this must be just a quirk of my lenovo laptop's crappy screen I guess.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:56 PM   #88
xBNSFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy View Post
One is the most favorited photo of the past 7 days, and the other is well on its way to becoming #2.

Is that what you mean?
I think he was driving at one of two things:

1. How do such poorly framed images, both with the train teetering on the edge of the frame, get accepted?

2. How do such overcooked and obviously "incorrect" colors (like his reference to the purple snowplow) get accepted? Or maybe I'll rephrase - how does something that looks like a Hallmark card painting as opposed to a photograph get accepted?

Just guessing.

Last edited by xBNSFer; 03-28-2015 at 04:58 PM.
xBNSFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #89
xBNSFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-M Frybourg View Post
These two pictures are great. But they would probably have been even greater if they had been improved after one rejection. They are obviously overprocessed and the yellowish sky and mountain on the left of the 2nd picture is weird.
I wouldn't agree in either case. They're both framed with the train too close to the frame edge given the composition. My eyes are just pulled right out of the image when I look at either of them. As for the processing, it's horrible, unless you're intentionally trying to create something that no longer looks like a photo.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:10 PM   #90
xBNSFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassArt Images View Post
I wonder if I could get Chris to accept this. Maybe I could get a PC for it.

Attachment 8848
Overcooked AND running off the edges of the frame - c'mon, it's obviously a slam dunk! LMAO
Old 03-28-2015, 05:21 PM   #91
xBNSFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Huge amount of vintage value overcomes all.

What I can't make sense of is the track spacing- looks wrong somehow.
If that was going to be rejected, it should have been for framing (I keep hearing that Yes song, "Close to the Edge" when I look at shots like this, lol).

As for the track spacing, in addition to the superelevation, I think it's a main track and a siding - ATSF sidings were often at a lower grade than the main.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:31 PM   #92
xBNSFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
To the above 4 posts- Amen!

I could be wrong, but didn't purists of bygone days obsess over light on the drivers (not the nose) ?
I'll add a hallelujah! There's no way I ever want my photography to, consciously or subconsciously, degenerate into an attempt to fit into the idiotic predisposed "standards" of what RP thinks makes a good photo.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:40 PM   #93
xBNSFer

Quote:
The people have voted and this photo is getting wide acclaim. Image of the day on trainorders. Most popular on RP. Now screener's choice, but should it have been accepted by RP? To me, yes, but isn't there a LIQ issue with the orange clouds? This is just an example of why images with flaws should be accepted rather than rejected and throw into the dust by the mavens of RP, citing "low aesthetic quality", and the full range of the photo should be accepted at look at rather just the light on the nose, etc.

Image © Steve Carter
PhotoID: 519515
Photograph © Steve Carter
I don't have any trouble with the clouds or colors, but I do think the framing is an issue, since the shimmering rails and the position of the train tend to lead the eye right to the (left) frame edge. A slight turn of camera to the left or a shortening of focal length would have done wonders for this shot IMO.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:38 AM   #94
SFO777

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBNSFer View Post
I don't have any trouble with the clouds
don't tehy look burned out, posterized, blasted to you? They look like a nintendo game to me. But no one else sees this so I believe it is an eye issue. Otherwise great photo, but I really don't understand those clouds as somehow being a plus...
Old 03-29-2015, 01:05 AM   #95
xBNSFer

Quote:
don't tehy look burned out, posterized, blasted to you? They look like a nintendo game to me. But no one else sees this so I believe it is an eye issue. Otherwise great photo, but I really don't understand those clouds as somehow being a plus...
They look pretty intense, but nature can provide some pretty spectacular looking and/or strange looking things at times. It's not like I was there to say whether or not the photo looks like what the photographer saw, soI'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

The framing, on the other hand, just keeps leading my eye out to the left side of the frame. Spoils it for me.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:09 AM   #96
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:

Thank you! I needed that.

Things has been really good for me lately doing train pictures. I kept wanting to remind my self to be humble. Thanks for doing it for me.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:50 AM   #97
SFO777

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBNSFer View Post
They look pretty intense, but nature can provide some pretty spectacular looking and/or strange looking things at times. .
I have no issue with the framing. I'm glad it got past the screeners. I don't have an issue with the color either, it's more image quality. I think that the clouds got a bit burned out in the effort to process the image. But again, I'm the only one who sees anything weird about them so I believe it's my eyes.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:52 AM   #98
SFO777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
Thank you! I needed that.

Things has been really good for me lately doing train pictures. I kept wanting to remind my self to be humble. Thanks for doing it for me.
I believe this is just my monitor because I looked at this image on a iMac screen and the gradation is there and it looks natural. You have just to take my word for it, on my laptop screen it looks it was drawn in with a felt pen, a perfect bell shape. Both in thumbnail and in the full picture.

Of course I would like to know what monitors the screener is using so I can aim at that.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:36 PM   #99
SFO777

xBNSF, your thoughts?

Last edited by SFO777; 03-31-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:00 AM   #100
Noct Foamer

Quote:
I believe this is just my monitor because I looked at this image on a iMac screen and the gradation is there and it looks natural. You have just to take my word for it, on my laptop screen it looks it was drawn in with a felt pen, a perfect bell shape.
You might check the settings on your monitor. It might be at a setting meant for the 1990s.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote