Old 12-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #1
Jer32382

Send a message via AIM to Jer32382
Default Cleveland area photography

I'll be in Mansfield this weekend visiting my wife's family. I thought about running on up to Olmsted Falls and Berea with my 4 year old. Naturally I'd take the camera gear. I have never been to these spots. I know there is a city park in Olmsted falls across the tracks from the train club and I know about the old station in Berea. Do photographers get hassled in either of those spots or are they popular enough that photographers are left alone? Thanks for any info. Just looking to have a fun afternoon with my son and maybe take a few pictures.
Jer32382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
bigbassloyd

No issues in Berea. I haven't been to the other location.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:35 PM   #3
WMHeilman

Should be fine at either spot.
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:50 PM   #4
mersenne6

Both spots are just fine. I've taken numerous pictures from both places and never any hassles. The Olmsted Falls park has parking spaces on the same side of the track as the park. If you are doing the weekend I'd recommend trying for the morning - it's my perception that there is more traffic in the 8-12 time period than in the afternoon.
mersenne6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:32 AM   #5
Jer32382

Thanks for the replies all. I was also looking at going to Fostoria as both are about equal distance from Mansfield. I know Fostoria has the new rail park. Which would produce more traffic? The idea of having a nice fenced in park is appealing but not sure of the traffic volume there.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:42 AM   #6
WMHeilman

Fostoria is busier than Olmstead Falls. Berea is hard to beat for volume and convenience.
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:26 AM   #7
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer32382 View Post
Thanks for the replies all. I was also looking at going to Fostoria as both are about equal distance from Mansfield. I know Fostoria has the new rail park. Which would produce more traffic? The idea of having a nice fenced in park is appealing but not sure of the traffic volume there.
If you go to Fostoria you will pretty much see trains all day. It is not very scenic though. The park also has only one platform which is on the least busiest of the 3 lines.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:26 AM   #8
Jer32382

Thanks everyone. I think we will probably head towards Fostoria this time. As long as we see some trains, he will be happy. I just like the idea of it being fenced in until he gets a little more used to being around them. Plus we can stop in Marion on our way up.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:30 AM   #9
CSX1702

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I think we will probably head towards Fostoria this time. As long as we see some trains, he will be happy. I just like the idea of it being fenced in until he gets a little more used to being around them. Plus we can stop in Marion on our way up.
Here's a picture of the park and the fence for ya.

It's right at the east-west NS/ north-south CSX diamond. There's 3 diamonds if you've never been there before.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #10
bigbassloyd

Quote:
If he's not really familiar with trains, I'd suggest skipping over Marion. All tracks are VERY close to the viewing area, and there are grade crossings close as well. The horn and pounding of the diamonds may scare him big time.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:37 PM   #11
Jer32382

Smile

He's been around them before. We've been to Marion a few times but we stay behind the fence. I don't mind being close to them at all, I guess it's just the dad in me coming out