Old 11-19-2014, 11:01 PM   #51
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
My more recent fav is "She has a butter face. She is good looking but-her face."
Dennis, it's more like, "She has a hot body, but-her-face..."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:00 AM   #52
Dennis A. Livesey

Thanks Jim I make no pretense as an exemplar of the zeitgeist. Your version is much butter.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:26 AM   #53
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
So, what's wrong with it? It's a bit on the warm side, but it otherwise looks okay to me.

"The BEST railroad photos on the net" is more of a marketing pitch than reality. If they held to that standard, the rejection rate would be over 90 percent. RP just has a base level standard---and it's really not a high bar. Sure, they accept (or reject) images every day that most of us would have disagreed with. However, I would have accepted this shot as well.

RF
Ron, sorry for the late response, (thought this thread didn't have much life but just logged on to see a surprise) but to me the branch is what your eye catches very quickly and I've had and seen other shots have far less of a distraction from the main focal point of the engines get the boot. To me it's common power with a less than ideal use of the scenery. I think planning the shot around the obstacles and obstructions is part of the challenge and heck we all been track side where hand saws have cleared a shooting lane and many here carry such saws I would imagine. My point of view.

Rich
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:42 PM   #54
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiron View Post
I think planning the shot around the obstacles and obstructions is part of the challenge and heck we all been track side where hand saws have cleared a shooting lane and many here carry such saws I would imagine.
Just bought a 16 ft pole trimmer a couple of weeks ago.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote