Old 03-11-2011, 12:19 AM   #76
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmwelch View Post
How can a 9 year old like you know how to do all these things, you can't be an engineer? If you've never ran these locomotives you only opinion can be those of a true foamer - just by looks. You have no idea that the GE's load just as slow (if not slower) than a GE.. Who's the maker with all the switchers around? EMD. Wonder why? They load fast.

You have ABSOLUTELY no room to throw your opinion around of EMD/GE's operating if you've never ran them.. riding in one doesn't count either. I run these things on a daily basis for hours at a time, I think I can tell people my opinion. But, a foamer who just drools and chokes his chicken to the sight of EMD's or GE's or ALCO's (I like Alco's personally) has no room to say an opinion of how one runs.
Shoot me some questions from the GCOR.
Soo 6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:21 AM   #77
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo 6060 View Post
Ok. Now stop picking on a child.
If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. I'm going to offer you some unsolicited advice here, as I have in other threads. You've picked the fight with your inflammatory statements, and then added fuel to the fire using statements based on your supposed expertise. But when someone calls you on your statements by presenting facts, you claim they're picking on you. It's really quite simple - if you don't want people questioning your knowledge or lack thereof, don't put yourself out there with statements like that. Sometimes it's best just to let things go. And you'd also to do well to think twice before even starting a thread like this one, which was just asking for a flame war.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:30 AM   #78
mark woody

Quote:
Ok, well first of all YOU DO NOT DRIVE A TRAIN. YOU RUN OR OPERATE IT. THERE IS NO STEERING WHEEL.

So, you'd be able to tell me how to isolate a trailing locomotive? And you'd be able to tell me where the cut-out cocks are for the MU hoses? How about how to cut-out the train brake handle? What and where the battery knife switch is? How long to prime the diesel engine? How to even start it? What the max BC pressure is and what that number is used for? How to perform a daily inspection and when you have to do it? How to setup a locomotive for trailing?

Yes, I know nothing.
Probably watched someone cut out an A7 or B7EL control stand

Steven Alco's were cool in my day and many still running over here.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:32 AM   #79
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:
Matty, come be my engineer, at least you know something about trains...
Okay, just don't ask me to fiddle with the distributed power or handle a major downgrade. That crap's tricky. Most I've done is 3 SD40-2s, 50 cars on a 1.3% grade. (Damned if I know whether that's compensated or not, but it didn't take much to keep it below the speed limit with all those curves!)
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:36 AM   #80
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
Okay, just don't ask me to fiddle with the distributed power or handle a major downgrade. That crap's tricky. Most I've done is 3 SD40-2s, 50 cars on a 1.3% grade. (Damned if I know whether that's compensated or not, but it didn't take much to keep it below the speed limit with all those curves!)
I just got the call for an empty coal train (ALL GE'S DANIEL, I HOPE I MAKE IT SINCE THEY SUCK SO MUCH OH NO!) but best I ever did was 3 x 2, all GE's (AGAIN, WHAT'S UP WITH GE'S!!!) 18,058 tons, 1.8% at Ambrosia and we crested it at 4MPH. Got 4800' over the hill and then had to ride 17 pounds down the hill, at 49MPH. Weee!

Sadly empties are more work since we have to only run 1 unit on the rear and have to run with the fence up, can't put out more than 350 amps pushing on the back.. Headend can only have 12 axles of power, but can have 24 of dynamics, so that means the second unit goes to DB only. Too much work.

Later. . . BNSF 4004 East, out.
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:46 AM   #81
JimThias

Quote:
Ok, well first of all YOU DO NOT DRIVE A TRAIN. YOU RUN OR OPERATE IT. THERE IS NO STEERING WHEEL.
Is it a vehicle? Does the vehicle go in motion? A vehicle doesn't need to be able to steer to be drivable.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:54 AM   #82
JimThias

Quote:
Obviously you're an engineer, so you're going to know, so quite frankly, I'm not quite sure why it's such a "huge accomplishment" for you to know what you're doing.
So, in other words, you would NOT know what you're doing when it comes to driving a train, right?

Ok, so back to my original point...you only dislike GEs because you don't like the way they look. Fine, I don't care for high hoods either, but I really don't give a damn how well they operate.

You threw out a bunch of stuff earlier about locomotives that has NOTHING to do with driving one which, again, was what you were called out on to begin with. If you don't know what it's like to drive one, then you shouldn't throw out your opinion as if you DO know.

I have no clue on how to drive one myself, and I don't care to have a clue. It's not my job to drive a locomotive. But the difference is that I know better than to try to make it sound like I know what I'm talking about when I have no clue. Unfortunately you haven't been able to exercise that yourself.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 03-11-2011, 02:24 AM   #83
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
So, in other words, you would NOT know what you're doing when it comes to driving a train, right?

Ok, so back to my original point...you only dislike GEs because you don't like the way they look. Fine, I don't care for high hoods either, but I really don't give a damn how well they operate.
I mean, I'm not fighting anyone, here. I don't know why you people get this way. I'm particularly disappointed in your last few posts, Jim. I thought actually meeting one of the more "famous" RP forum guys was a neat experience, but I guess that means damn nothing.

Anyway, my philosophy (A 9 year old uses THAT word? ) on GE and why I hate it is that:

They sound like they're going to explode
They have garbage horns
They have ugly trucks
They have an ugly carbody
They have an ugly cab
The radiators are ugly, especially the GEVOs
They're too common
They blow up and shoot fire out of the stack
They can't last more than 25 years without going to the scrapper
They can't last more than 25 years without go to the second hand market

Also:

People who love GEs tend to have the reputation to mess with me, Like Max Medlin, and all of these other Youtube users.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:01 AM   #84
stlgevo51

Quote:
Also:

People who love GEs tend to have the reputation to mess with me, Like Max Medlin, and all of these other Youtube users.
It seems like people who hate GEs (I'm not saying "only like EMDs") seem to be very confrontational people. Not only do they argue a lot, but they seem steadfastly dedicated to prove "GE lovers" wrong. I don't care that you don't like GEs (I don't fully understand it, but it is just an opinion), but I, like most people on this forum, think you are acting like way to much of a "know it all" (for lack of a better term).

As far as RP not wanting to see good power, please tell me how this is true. I think the whole point of RP is to show off good photography. If a special unit or a consist with good power meets all of the guidelines, than sure, it will get in. But if the shot doesn't meet the guidelines, no matter what the power, it most likely will not. It is such a simple concept. I still don't know where you came up with such a statement.

Jake- still waiting excitedly to see some flames billowing from the stack of an AC44!
Youtube Videos

Last edited by stlgevo51; 03-11-2011 at 03:05 AM.
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:06 AM   #85
nikos1

Quote:
Anyway, my philosophy (A 9 year old uses THAT word? ) on GE and why I hate it is that:
Here we go with the third grade honor student crap again......

Quote:
They have garbage horns
They have ugly trucks
They have an ugly cab
They're too common
Opinions, opinions, opinions..............every railfan has their likes and dislikes, but no need to start a whole thread about it. You wouldve had a better case if you had stated you dont like them on a aesthetic dimension rather than trying to make up some BS on how GE's suck because the way they run. I dont care for GE widecabs either (love Dash 7's and U-Boats though) but I dont go around pretending that I know about how they run. Maybe you got to go sit in the cab of an EMD and blow the horn, good for you, doesnt mean you know a thing though.

Quote:
Also:

From what I know about Max, I hardly think he is a "multiple expletives deleted GE lover", he just thinks rationally as opposed to your irrational hatred of GE's and your need to constant need to voice it.
Again, its your own fault if you want to instigate flamewars, dont go running back to your mommy to have her write letters to the nasty people on the forum.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:08 AM   #86
jnohallman

Quote:
I mean, I'm not fighting anyone, here. I don't know why you people get this way. I'm particularly disappointed in your last few posts, Jim. I thought actually meeting one of the more "famous" RP forum guys was a neat experience, but I guess that means damn nothing.

They have garbage horns
They have ugly trucks
They have an ugly cab
They're too common
With all due respect, you can't say "I'm not fighting anyone" and then go on to rehash the business that started this whole thread by restating your disdain for GE. I'm afraid it just isn't helping your case, and only encourages certain people to keep piling on. It isn't my intention to do that, and I'm sorry if it seems like I am, but I really am trying to help you see what brings on what reactions. Beyond that, the first 7 reasons you list for hating GE are entirely subjective - they're your opinion, which you are certainly entitled to, but they don't empirically make the case for EMD being better the GE or vice-versa. As far as aesthetics and sounds go, I like steam engines a lot better that diesels. But that doesn't make them a better product objectively. That's why those kind of statements just cause fights. As for the last 3 reasons you mention, here are a couple things to consider.

1. Anything with a turbocharger is subject to blowing up and shooting flames when (not if, when) the turbocharger fails. There was a rather interesting article in a recent issue of TRAINS magazine about the subject. It's worth finding and reading for anyone with a general interest in the subject.
2 & 3. 25 years to the scrapper or second-hand market. Not only are the statements contradictory - if they go on the second-hand market, they're not going to the scrapper - but they also relate to a good many EMD products of the last generation as well. The GP 50 and SD 50 were both flops. An awful lot of SD 60s seem to have ended up in the hands of leasing companies. But the other thing to keep in mind is that the tightening up of EPA emissions regulations has a lot to do with the replacement of even relatively new power that no longer meets the standards. Besides, if you look at the history of railroading, there are an awful lot of engines from all kinds of manufacturers that didn't make it to 25 years in primary assignments on Class I railroads. Those that did were exceptions.

Jon

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
Old 03-11-2011, 03:09 AM   #87
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlgevo51 View Post
Jake- still waiting excitedly to see some flames billowing from the stack of an AC44!
It's in one of the most recent Trains magazine articles.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:12 AM   #88
jnohallman

Incidentally, it's the very fact that turbos with a lot of mileage on them are susceptible to blowing up that led to the removal of the turbochargers and resulting derating of a lot of older EMD power, which is partly responsible for the extended lives of those units.

Jon

Old 03-11-2011, 04:11 AM   #89
JimThias

Quote:
I'm particularly disappointed in your last few posts, Jim. I thought actually meeting one of the more "famous" RP forum guys was a neat experience, but I guess that means damn nothing.
Hey, I just submit pictures to this website. I don't have anything to do with being "famous"...whatever that means.

Quote:

They have garbage horns
They have ugly trucks
They have an ugly cab
They're too common
So, in other words, you hate they way they look. That's all I've been trying to get you to admit from the start since you know nothing about running them. Great. I'm glad you finally admitted it.

You know, I'm glad I don't understand this GE vs. EMD thing. I can't even grasp the concept of why a railfan would have any say in the matter. I just take pictures. If the locomotive is clean and attractive, that's all I care about. I couldn't care less who made it.

Last edited by JimThias; 03-11-2011 at 04:16 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:29 AM   #90
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:

They have garbage horns
They have ugly trucks
They have an ugly cab
They're too common

Also:

Oi oi oi, insult what you like, but do NOT blanket insult horns! The CP AC4400CW horns are quite lovely, thank you very much!
Oh, and you don't like them because they're too common? Well boo freaking hoo, if you had your way EMDs would be too common, would you hate them for that then?
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:04 AM   #91
stevenmwelch

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlgevo51 View Post
I got my third motor tonight to spit fire... And I got my EMD DPU (SD75I) to go belly up, too.. Guess those EMD's are still far superior? At least the Dash 9 that was breathing fire got me up and over the hill!

Thanks DandyDan for proving that you're only a damn foamer with no knowledge of how to run a train.
My Photos on RP
Old 03-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #92
stevenmwelch

Quote:
They have garbage horns
They have ugly trucks
They have an ugly cab
They're too common
Garbage horns? And EMD's K3's are any better?

Ugly trucks? The EMD 70 series trucks look pretty similar to the CP Hi-Ad's.

Carbody looks fine to me.

Cab does too.

Radiators are bitchin, unless you're 6'4" like me and have to duck when walking by them.

Too common? Last I checked there were a crapload of EMD's, too.

Fire is cool.

Hmm, check out the SD50's, where are they? Leased or filled with Pepsi. . .

I'm with Jim. . . If its clean, its fine with me. . . But as an engineer, hell, I dunno, give me a few SD45's and a couple Dash 9's and I'd be content.

(Just finished yanking 118 empties up the 1.8% with only 1 unit online, nothing like 14MPH and 1400 amps!! Hey, it was a GE, too!)
My Photos on RP
Old 03-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #93
jnohallman

Quote:
Thanks DandyDan for proving that you're only a damn foamer with no knowledge of how to run a train.
Alright Steven. My turn to call you out now that I've spent time trying to get your target to calm down. You're even worse than he is. If you feel the need to point out that his statements are outlandish, there are better ways to do it than to be demeaning and denigrating. And if you get some kind of perverse pleasure out of piling on, so much the sadder for you.

Jon

Old 03-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #94
Ween

MINI = awesome
Old 03-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #95
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
MINI = awesome
I didn't think those giant telesmash lenses would fit inside a MINI!

Jon

Old 03-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #96
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

Quote:
Garbage horns? And EMD's K3's are any better?

Ugly trucks? The EMD 70 series trucks look pretty similar to the CP Hi-Ad's.

Carbody looks fine to me.

Cab does too.

Radiators are bitchin, unless you're 6'4" like me and have to duck when walking by them.

Too common? Last I checked there were a crapload of EMD's, too.

Fire is cool.

Hmm, check out the SD50's, where are they? Leased or filled with Pepsi. . .

I'm with Jim. . . If its clean, its fine with me. . . But as an engineer, hell, I dunno, give me a few SD45's and a couple Dash 9's and I'd be content.

(Just finished yanking 118 empties up the 1.8% with only 1 unit online, nothing like 14MPH and 1400 amps!! Hey, it was a GE, too!)
But why does everyone have to bash my opinion?
Old 03-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #97
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
But why does everyone have to bash my opinion?
Its the way you word it, Comes off wrong.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #98
PLEzero

I think it's time to cut this kid some slack. We all know he has some learning to do and I think we've all had an opportunity to express our opinions. Is it really necessary that some of you continue to argue with someone that is so much younger than almost everyone else on the forum? Some of the adults here have just as much growing up to do as Daniel. It was amusing for a while but now it's time we all just let it go.

Daniel, sometimes less can be more. It's time you take a break and let this pass over. You're only continuing to hurt your reputation at this point.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:41 AM   #99
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
I didn't think those giant telesmash lenses would fit inside a MINI!

Jon
Oh, no, they do, but do you think I'm allowed to railfan in the MINI?!?
Old 03-13-2011, 09:35 AM   #100
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Trains are awesome.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote