Old 05-10-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
kooi2017

Send a message via AIM to kooi2017
Default The cicadas are coming!

Well Midwest railfans, after 17 years of peace and quiet we are all going to have to deal with the cicada infestation this summer. The cicadas are scheduled to emerge from their 17 year dormancy in the third week of May (at least in the Chicago area). Some wooded areas are likely to have up to 2-3 million cicadas per acre. These loud and disgusting insects will no doubt make railfanning in wooded areas extremely uncomfortable this summer. So for those who live in cicada country, will the cicadas affect your plans for railfanning at all this summer? Just curious...
kooi2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:11 PM   #2
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooi2017
Well Midwest railfans, after 17 years of peace and quiet we are all going to have to deal with the cicada infestation this summer. The cicadas are scheduled to emerge from their 17 year dormancy in the third week of May (at least in the Chicago area). Some wooded areas are likely to have up to 2-3 million cicadas per acre. These loud and disgusting insects will no doubt make railfanning in wooded areas extremely uncomfortable this summer. So for those who live in cicada country, will the cicadas affect your plans for railfanning at all this summer? Just curious...
Yeah, I wanna head out there; maybe frame a train between two cicadas or get a train blurred behind a whole group or maybe even a night silhouette.

I've heard other photogs arranging trips to the area as well. Mitch is supposedly gonna try a sharp, double pan of cicada and a train while others such as Alan-Crotty and Bob Avery are flying over to get some impressive as well as fascinating moody, backlit shots. Unless "L&C" appear on the side of some of those creatures I don't think you'll see Joe H. out there. These are strictly rumors floating around so please do not quote me (or take me seriously).

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960

Last edited by Andrew Blaszczyk (2); 05-10-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:40 AM   #3
CG_F45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Yeah, I wanna head out there; maybe frame a train between two cicadas or get a train blurred behind a whole group or maybe even a night silhouette.

I've heard other photogs arranging trips to the area as well. Mitch is supposedly gonna try a sharp, double pan of cicada and a train while others such as Alan-Crotty and Bob Avery are flying over to get some impressive as well as fascinating moody, backlit shots. Unless "L&C" appear on the side of some of those creatures I don't think you'll see Joe H. out there. These are strictly rumors floating around so please do not quote me (or take me seriously).
Thank you for that laugh...I needed it.

I live near wooded areas in the Chicagoland area...and I hate bugs. Ugh.

My photos at RailPictures.Net
CG_F45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:34 PM   #4
J

Don't forget the potential action shots of wheel slip caused by cicada grease on the rail.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooi2017
So for those who live in cicada country, will the cicadas affect your plans for railfanning at all this summer? Just curious...
Make that THIS YEAR'S cicada country. The DC area suffered a few years ago.

Regrettably, Andrew, at the time I knew not of the creative dimensions of cicada/railroad photography and captured no stunning images...

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:12 PM   #6
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Regrettably, Andrew, at the time I knew not of the creative dimensions of cicada/railroad photography and captured no stunning images...
Well, there's always potential for some creative depth of field experimentation next time, Janusz.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote