Old 09-09-2009, 10:25 PM   #26
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsingle View Post
ha its hard to get a job when i'm playing basketball for my school like everyday, then lacrosse in the spring. Plus grades. when I have free time i try to get out and railfan, but most of the time chill with friends. plus working at the movies isn't what you call a 'high' paying job, minimum wage is what you get. also lets say i want to buy a nice HD camcorder for $700? if i get payed $7 an hour, and i need to work 100 hours, and I am only allowed by law being a minor to work 10hours a week that seven weeks of time that just cant spend.
Just as Jim said, I'm 15 and I own a Canon SLR and two lenses. I've paid for both of the lenses and half of the XSi. No excuses.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide

Last edited by Chase55671; 09-09-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:57 AM   #27
Carl Becker

To follow up on Chase's post, I'm 17 and I've been shooting for here since I was 14. Also, (while it's certainly not a bad thing), you do not need, by any means to have an SLR setup. My earliest photos on here were taken with a Canon A540, which I upgraded to a Canon SX100 IS, and I now shoot with a Panasonic FZ28. None of these come close to the price of an SLR and comparable lenses, but they have no issues getting photos good enough for here. What I'm shooting with now is probably the last camera I'll have before I invest in an SLR, but I don't expect that to happen any time soon.

I second the previous input; take a look through photos in the database, start out with a basic 3/4 wedge shot with the sun at your back early or late in the day, and make sure your foreground is free of objects and shadows. Make sure you're shooting at maximum resolution and image quality.

Example:

Image © Gerry Miller
PhotoID: 296644
Photograph © Gerry Miller

Good luck!

~Carl Becker
Old 09-10-2009, 02:34 AM   #28
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

If you cant get a regular job, try to start cutting grasses or something. I made most of my money this way and have racked up several L lenses since. Some Christmas and B-day money helps also
Old 09-10-2009, 10:45 PM   #29
rathman11

If you have a nice ritzy golf course in town you can always consider working outside courtesy there. I did that for 3 summers in my hometown at a new private course they opened up and schmoozed the members for some NICE tips! Those tips sure do add up fast and may even keep you from having to spend your actual paycheck, which you could then use on a nice lens!

My RP photos

Flickr Photos
Old 09-10-2009, 11:25 PM   #30
tjsingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Something tells me that Chase, who is the same age as you, isn't going to have a bunch of excuses like that. And, check back here in 7 weeks when you still don't have that $700.
I perosnally don't care about what any other forums members do, I am BUSY. Sports take up most of the school year and my freetime from 2-5 practices, then games that are usally are at 5:30, then having a crap load of homework, i don't see them as excuses, an excuse is being lazy. Why should I buy a $700 camcorder when I have a perfectly working Sony Camcorder that I bought during the summer. No offence, but from the sounds of it seems that he doesn't do sports, or have all that stuff I do, why should i worry about a job when I should be studying for school to get to college? I don't need people to tell me i'm making excuses when, my forum is about the quality and what I can do better in my photos.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:10 AM   #31
JimThias

Quote:
I perosnally don't care about what any other forums members do, I am BUSY. Sports take up most of the school year and my freetime from 2-5 practices, then games that are usally are at 5:30, then having a crap load of homework, i don't see them as excuses, an excuse is being lazy.
And yet you have to explain what you do as if you seem to think WE care.

And what was the reason for mentioning the HD camera in the first place? What did that have to do with your rejection?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 09-11-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:20 AM   #32
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Welll, this is interesting.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:22 AM   #33
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
Welll, this is interesting.
Just giving him a hard time.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 09-11-2009, 12:45 AM   #34
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
I perosnally don't care about what any other forums members do, I am BUSY. Sports take up most of the school year and my freetime from 2-5 practices, then games that are usally are at 5:30, then having a crap load of homework, i don't see them as excuses, an excuse is being lazy. Why should I buy a $700 camcorder when I have a perfectly working Sony Camcorder that I bought during the summer. No offence, but from the sounds of it seems that he doesn't do sports, or have all that stuff I do, why should i worry about a job when I should be studying for school to get to college? I don't need people to tell me i'm making excuses when, my forum is about the quality and what I can do better in my photos.
If you don't care, then why'd you reply? Again, this is too much information. We didn't ask for your life story. We don't care. You were the one who mentioned the $700 HD Camcorder, not us.

Exactly right. You need to keep studying, and perhaps that studying will eventually pay off, but by the looks of it right now, more studying is definitely a requirement. Offense is spelled with an s, not a c.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Old 09-11-2009, 02:08 AM   #35
tjsingle

"I don't need people to tell me i'm making excuses when, my forum is about the quality and what I can do better in my photos."

Did you not read what I said?
Old 09-11-2009, 02:09 AM   #36
tjsingle

Quote:
And yet you have to explain what you do as if you seem to think WE care.

And what was the reason for mentioning the HD camera in the first place? What did that have to do with your rejection?

Oh, because the one member wanted to see the video, then so on.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:18 AM   #37
trainmaster_1

Quote:
How so? He's clearly behind the yellow line.

And is it just me, or do the three horizontal poles to the right of the guy just seem to disappear into mid-air?
From a railroaders point of view Jim, he's too close for comfort especially in multi-track territory when another train might come on another track regardless of signal indication given on that signal mast.

CN Conductor

Click here to view my pictures on RP.net
Old 09-11-2009, 02:24 AM   #38
tjsingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainmaster_1 View Post
From a railroaders point of view Jim, he's too close for comfort especially in multi-track territory when another train might come on another track regardless of signal indication given on that signal mast.
Yeah he was a little close, but there is a defector up, the down a ways that gives a good notification when a Northbound is coming. Plus nothing on the scanner that day, maybe from 7am-2pm there was 7 trains from what i heard.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:26 AM   #39
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Its all about light and the time of day you get out. Good cameras help some but don't take good photos, the Photographer is the one in control. So plan out the shots ahead of time before a train shows and your shots will improve.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
Old 09-11-2009, 03:37 AM   #40
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Wow, talk about ALWAYS having an excuse!

Anyhow, I think this thread has run its course.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Closed Thread