Old 01-17-2007, 11:40 PM   #1
bigiron

Default A few to mull over..

Ok, looking for input on these photos that got the ax and wonder how you'd possibly change things to make them acceptable or maybe back to the drawing board.

The first two are said to be "bad cropping" and I wonder how you would change things to make them more appealing...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=328453
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=328455

The next two are of "bad angles" and seeing I'm on the only side the sun is and restrained by water on my left and road on my right I wonder what options I have...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=328456
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=328457

The last one I tried to use the sun to help illuminate the ice covered trees and the only way to bring the ice to life was to use the sun to shine through and you can see what it created....I was trying to bring justice to the beauty of the ice surrounding the train....

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=328459

Any constructive thoughts would be appreciated...

Thanks Rich
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:59 PM   #2
JRMDC

First one. Looks just a bit unlevel, plus maybe consider cropping a bit from the right side and a bit off the top.

Second one - it is nowhere close to being level! Sorry to be so abrupt and pointed, but it's pretty bad. Get the verticals vertical.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:01 AM   #3
JRMDC

Third one, obscured automobile, post growing out of the nose of the lead unit, etc. Nothing is level. It doesn't look like a promising location, frankly. Take a few steps left or right next time and see if things improve.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-18-2007, 12:11 AM   #4
JRMDC

Fourth one. Criss-crossing lines of all sorts make it visually busy, a large foreground area in shadow and without interesting detail. And especially the pair of power lines close to the camera - they take attention away from the train. Again, looks like a bad location.

Fifth one. You have the going-away shot blues, such a shot has to be pretty darn good to get in. Here, the sun is on the nose of the train, but you are not. So the rear faces of each engine are in shadow, which diminished your chances at RP (but is not necessarily a bad thing overall, if you like it - it's a strong RP preference). Powerline does not help.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-18-2007, 12:15 AM   #5
JRMDC

Final comments
second one - it's more than just leveling, it needs cropping also, on all sides. Of course, once you rotate it, you have to crop to make it rectangular again!
last
third one - I see now that you said you can't move. I'd zoom in a bit next time and catch it as it is beginning to cross the bridge, at the right side of what you caught this time. Still, not a great location - there must be others in the area!?

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-18-2007, 12:29 AM   #6
bigiron

JR,

I agree on the rotation of the second one but a note about the angles on the bridge that make it appear a bit more off than is, IMO. The sides are bevelled back from where I stood and the top girder is angled also back from right to left. It does need a bit counter clockwise rotation to make correct but wanted to point out the added angles.

One the low clearance bridge, the one with the MEC 505 is a bit busy and it could be cleaned up with photoshop or similar but it not be a valid way of showing the area. The one with the NS unit shows how low the clearance is for cars and I wanted to give a shot with a different twist seeing variety is being looked for more in the photos.

Rich
Old 01-18-2007, 02:06 AM   #7
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiron
JR,

I agree on the rotation of the second one but a note about the angles on the bridge that make it appear a bit more off than is, IMO. The sides are bevelled back from where I stood and the top girder is angled also back from right to left. It does need a bit counter clockwise rotation to make correct but wanted to point out the added angles.
Agreed, that's why I specifically referred to the verticals - get the two sides equally bevelled if that is needed.

Quote:
One the low clearance bridge, the one with the MEC 505 is a bit busy and it could be cleaned up with photoshop or similar but it not be a valid way of showing the area. The one with the NS unit shows how low the clearance is for cars and I wanted to give a shot with a different twist seeing variety is being looked for more in the photos.

Rich
For RP you can't do that sort of cleanup at all, by the rules, can't tell if your using "valid" means you know that already! Anyway, in my solitary opinion, try another spot. Or, use a ladder to get above that stone wall in MEC505.

Good luck!

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-18-2007, 07:15 AM   #8
Joe the Photog

Shot One -- There's something in front of the trucks, not to mention the pole coming out of the top of the lead unit.

Shot two -- Not sure it's unlevel, but it's very grainy. Interesting shot, but not RP-worthy.

Shot three is very unlevel. Plus, the car being cut off and the second loco being cut off is disconcerting. Also, how dangerous and legal would it have been to stand on that rock fence for a shot which would put you over the car? Don't do anything stupid, but that might have been a good idea.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=328457

#4 is an interesting location and angle, but the proponderance of power lines without being attached to power poles seems odd. Also, the shadows on the ground don't help. This seems like a good spot to go back and shoot again.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:05 PM   #9
bigiron

Talking

JR, got a chuckle out of your quote below...if we as railfans don't create enough puzzled looks by people watching us take pictures now . Maybe I'll just skip the ladder and drive around in an old phone line repair truck to get above the clutter .

Quote:
For RP you can't do that sort of cleanup at all, by the rules, can't tell if your using "valid" means you know that already! Anyway, in my solitary opinion, try another spot. Or, use a ladder to get above that stone wall in MEC505.

Rich
Old 01-18-2007, 01:09 PM   #10
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiron
JR, got a chuckle out of your quote below...if we as railfans don't create enough puzzled looks by people watching us take pictures now . Maybe I'll just skip the ladder and drive around in an old phone line repair truck to get above the clutter .

Rich
Hmm, a repair truck would be a great railfan vehicle! Seriously though, I do know of some railfans who carry stepladders for the occasional situation. Railfans can be very intense about their hobby!

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-18-2007, 01:14 PM   #11
bigiron

Do agree and even though it seems weird, I'd really think about it more if it wasn't for the dough and little lack of speed, lol. You might be able to avoid a ticket or two if the vehicle was quick enough as you could have your hardhat ready and tell the officer you're going to an emergency. Plenty of adventure out there, it's how you tackle it sometimes that is half the fun.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:17 PM   #12
Joe the Photog

When I had my Jeep Cherokee, I many times stood on top of the thing to get a better angle and slightly elevated.

Joe
Old 01-18-2007, 08:42 PM   #13
Mark Rosnick

Default Railfan vehicle

I use my Ram 1500 for railfanning, the bed of the truck helps me get higher than standing on the ground.
Mark Rosnick is offline   Reply With Quote