Old 03-16-2006, 06:10 PM   #1
mile18chalk

Default Level Horizon?

What is meant by level horizon? How would one do that?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=224928

Also, bad angle?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=224929

I have seen plenty of other pics on the site similar to these. For some reason I am getting about 95% of my submissions rejected.

Check these ones out?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=223264
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=223218

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin Brant
mile18chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:47 PM   #2
busyEMT

Photo number 1 needs to be rotated CW .1 to .2 degrees. You will need a photo editor. Use guides if available; otherwise, use the border to the web browser to check track levelness.

Photo number 2 needs better cropping. There is no need to have all the trees that you do on the lefthand side. It is a nice photo, but needs the same leveling and tone down the contrast or saturate it a bit. There is a white haze which is most likely correctable.

Photo numbers 3 and 4 are taken from the shadow side of the tracks. Not much you can do to make these acceptable.

Edit: if you don't have an editing program, here is a link to a thread discussing a free one Picasa

edit; edit: Thanks Ween. Not sure what I was thinking.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!

Last edited by busyEMT; 03-16-2006 at 07:49 PM. Reason: add link; correct numbering
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:21 PM   #3
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyEMT
Photo number 1 needs to be rotated CW .1 to .2 degrees. You will need a photo editor. Use guides if available; otherwise, use the border to the web browser to check track levelness.

Photo number 2 needs better cropping. There is no need to have all the trees that you do on the lefthand side. It is a nice photo, but needs the same leveling and tone down the contrast or saturate it a bit. There is a white haze which is most likely correctable.

Photo numbers 3 and 4 are taken from the shadow side of the tracks. Not much you can do to make these acceptable.

Edit: if you don't have an editing program, here is a link to a thread discussing a free one Picasa
Here, I did some renumbering for you...
Old 03-16-2006, 08:16 PM   #4
mile18chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Here, I did some renumbering for you...

Resubmitted picture 3 after recropping, now rejected for bad angle. I am using Nikon Capture and Photoshop for editing. I had one rejected for size, so I fixed the size, then rejected for clutter. I have ahd many rejected after fixing the original issue. I just don't get it. I had considered becoming an elite memeber, is that what it takes to get your pictured posted???
mile18chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 08:27 PM   #5
busyEMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile18chalk
Resubmitted picture 3 after recropping, now rejected for bad angle. I am using Nikon Capture and Photoshop for editing. I had one rejected for size, so I fixed the size, then rejected for clutter. I have ahd many rejected after fixing the original issue. I just don't get it. I had considered becoming an elite memeber, is that what it takes to get your pictured posted???
No, being an elite member does not automatically get your photos in. But joining does make the Administration happy and the ads go away.

Just keep plugging along and take the pictures you want - submit those which you think will get in. Sometimes fixing the initial problem does the trick, other times it just "uncovers" another rejection reason. Don't forget there is also an appeal option for those you think were judged incorrectly.

Old 03-16-2006, 09:02 PM   #6
Ween

Quote:
Resubmitted picture 3 after recropping, now rejected for bad angle
Look at the rejected links you posted: each rejected link gives the reson for rejection right above the photo. In the case of Photo 3, it says:

Quote:
Reason(s) for Rejection:
- Bad Cropping: Most often this means that the composition of the photo is poor as it relates the cropping of the image.
- Poor lighting (Backlit): The image is backlit or doesn't feature enough nose light on the subject.
Forget about Photo 3 getting in. No matter how much you crop or re-size, there is absolutely nothing you can do about the poor lighting. You were on the wrong side of the train for the light conditions that were present when you snapped the photo.

Quote:
I have had many rejected after fixing the original issue. I just don't get it.
Like Aaron said, sometimes there are multiple things wrong with a shot. Fixing one doesn't guarantee it'll get in. Worry about taking properly composed/exposed shots first, and worry about the screening standards here later (or never). If you start gettting wrapped up in rejections and getting mad, you're not helping yourself.

Quote:
I had considered becoming an elite memeber, is that what it takes to get your pictured posted???
No. Elite Membership has nothing to do with whether or not your stuff gets accepted. It's a way for contributors to pay a fee to avoid all the pop-ups that this site generates. Plus, it helps the owners/admin pay the costs to provide this database for everyone for free.

Don't get upset with the screening standards. I'm guessing you're new to railroad photography (or maybe digital shooting in general). Learn your equipment and learn how to post-process your shots (to avoid unlevel horizon shots) to get the most out of your abilities. Look through the database and see what gets in and compare the majority of those with yours. What that last statement means is don't find the exception photo that made it in (i.e. 1 out of 200 or so you looked at that you compare your rejected one with). If your shots look like the majority, then you're on the right path.

Being able to take rejection/criticism and listen to the advice in the forums here will get you where you need to be. Just be patient, read through the forums on all the other rejected threads, and soon enough, you'll be firing on all cylinders...
Old 03-17-2006, 09:04 AM   #7
dodi4200

Send a message via Yahoo to dodi4200

ween is right you should see the threads in the forums and learn from it.
at first i were had abad quality pix and tried to upload it without any result but i read and read in the topics and looked to the pics in the database many times.finally i get the decent camera and now i have 21 pics in the database and iam very happy of them and looking to make them more than that.
just be patient and you will get what you wanna
(if you like an idea,thought alot in it and worked hard for it.you will get it)
click here 2 c my pix @ rp.net
dodi4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:16 PM   #8
ddavies

Picture 4 is puzzling, I can see the shadows, so I know the sun was out, and I have never seen that paint job before. Not sure why it is common power on a cloudy day.
ddavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:36 PM   #9
busyEMT

1 out of 4 ain't bad. (Ween, I doubled check my numbers this time.)

Image © Mile18 Chalk River Sub
PhotoID: 137120
Photograph © Mile18 Chalk River Sub

Now, did you do anything with #1? All it really needs is a level horizon.

Old 03-18-2006, 10:58 PM   #10
Crusader

Congrats on the Chalk River CEFX shot. Up to now, I'd assumed that shots showing only the front half of the loco, no matter how well-lit, were a no-no. Your shot has given me new hope for a few of my old pix that I never bothered to submit.

As for the others, I think the members who've commented have it pretty well covered. General rules are:
- Photo from the sunny side of the train (unles it's unsafe to do so).
- Most side-lit shots will be rejected as "back-lit", so keep the sun on the nose.
- Timing is everything. If it's a sunny day, but the sun is behind a cloud or muted by high clouds, you risk rejection for "poor lighting" just as if it were a cloudy day.
- Crop out dead space where possible.

On the whole tho, I like those shots. And I don't consider that Alstom unit "common".