Old 11-06-2007, 11:05 PM   #1
NSFan14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New Haven, KY
Posts: 723
Default Composition/Balance?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=439675&key=0

Exactly what does "Composition/Balance: The composition of this photo is poor relating to the overall balance of the image." Mean?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
__________________
-Alex Moss
NSFan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:17 PM   #2
Mustang11
Senior Member
 
Mustang11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Deep River, CT
Posts: 131
Default

I think it has too much space in the foreground. Try cropping some out and maybe leave a little more space on the sides as the loco and sign are too close to the edges.

Cant do much for the lighting though as the sky is washed out...

Brian
__________________
"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" - Lewis Hine

My RailPictures.net Photos -- My fotopic.net Photos
Graphic Design & Photography portfolio site
Mustang11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:32 PM   #3
NSFan14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New Haven, KY
Posts: 723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang11
I think it has too much space in the foreground. Try cropping some out and maybe leave a little more space on the sides as the loco and sign are too close to the edges.

Cant do much for the lighting though as the sky is washed out...

Brian
Well I didnt think the image would have been accepted but I didnt know exactly what the rejection meant. The weather was so crappy that day it was aweful. We stayed there 8 hours & seen only 4 trains. I coulda seen more then that run threw my backyard...LOL
__________________
-Alex Moss
NSFan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:39 PM   #4
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFan14
Well I didnt think the image would have been accepted...
Why didn't you think it would be accepted? (just curious as to your reasoning for submitting it)
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:11 AM   #5
NSFan14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New Haven, KY
Posts: 723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Why didn't you think it would be accepted? (just curious as to your reasoning for submitting it)
Well I thought the lighting looked bad. But I was like...Ehhh I guess it doesnt hurt to try. Wa..La rejected!
__________________
-Alex Moss
NSFan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:32 AM   #6
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
Exactly what does "Composition/Balance: The composition of this photo is poor relating to the overall balance of the image." Mean?
I will use this opportunity to plug the Search feature of the Forums as they are probably a half a dozen threads relating to Composition/Balance. Maybe in the future, search the forums for your answer before starting a redundant thread...
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:05 AM   #7
NSFan14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New Haven, KY
Posts: 723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
I will use this opportunity to plug the Search feature of the Forums as they are probably a half a dozen threads relating to Composition/Balance. Maybe in the future, search the forums for your answer before starting a redundant thread...
Sorry I didnt even think about looking. Ill rember next time
__________________
-Alex Moss
NSFan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:27 AM   #8
WKUrailfan
Senior Member
 
WKUrailfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 230
Default

All these threads are redundant in some way or another. Lay off the guy, he's just trying to understand how to compose his images better.
WKUrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:33 AM   #9
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKUrailfan
All these threads are redundant in some way or another. Lay off the guy, he's just trying to understand how to compose his images better.
I'm not giving him grief, just providing another source of info. Besides, some folks might not reply to a new thread when they've written the exact same thing in the previous three. The search function is just another resource to put in your big bag of knowledge...
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:12 PM   #10
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFan14
Well I thought the lighting looked bad. But I was like...Ehhh I guess it doesnt hurt to try. Wa..La rejected!
I'm glad I'm not a screener.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:43 PM   #11
NSFan14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New Haven, KY
Posts: 723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
I'm glad I'm not a screener.
May I ask why?
__________________
-Alex Moss
NSFan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:48 PM   #12
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFan14
May I ask why?
My guess is that screeners have to screen shots that photographers know are bad but they submit them anyway.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:42 AM   #13
NSFan14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New Haven, KY
Posts: 723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
My guess is that screeners have to screen shots that photographers know are bad but they submit them anyway.
Well I didnt mean it was bad bad. I meant like it just looked like there was no clouds but I didnt know if it get accepted. Im new with this so please overlook me!
__________________
-Alex Moss
NSFan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:27 AM   #14
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 700
Default

I will chime in that when I was new submitting photos here, I only submitted shots that I thought were good shots. However, that doesn't mean they'll pass the screening. Early on I got plenty of rejects of these shots I thought were good. Because of this, no matter how good the shot I submitted, I would hold my breath to see if they were accepted or not. I'm thinking that's kind of what NSFan14 is referring to.
__________________
My Railpictures Shots http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=2561
ken45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:56 AM   #15
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFan14
Well I didnt mean it was bad bad. I meant like it just looked like there was no clouds but I didnt know if it get accepted. Im new with this so please overlook me!
How can someone who has been a member here since Dec of '05 and have over 300 posts consider themselves "new with this?" New with WHAT?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:33 AM   #16
NSFan14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New Haven, KY
Posts: 723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
How can someone who has been a member here since Dec of '05 and have over 300 posts consider themselves "new with this?" New with WHAT?
Ive been a member on the forums since december '05. I just recently started posting photos and finally got a few accepted 3 weeks ago. Well maybe I got a few people fired up in this thread so maybe I should back off and not post anymore.
__________________
-Alex Moss
NSFan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:34 AM   #17
ottergoose
American Gunzel
 
ottergoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Eagan, MN
Posts: 1,626
Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
How can someone who has been a member here since Dec of '05 and have over 300 posts consider themselves "new with this?" New with WHAT?
With actually getting shots accepted into the database... he's got 5 so far (and they're pretty good, IMHO).
__________________
Nick Benson | Pictures | Website | Flickr | Profile | JetPhotos | Twitter
ottergoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:43 AM   #18
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFan14
Well maybe I got a few people fired up in this thread so maybe I should back off and not post anymore.
Just ride it out, stick around, you'll be fine ...
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:18 AM   #19
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFan14
Well I thought the lighting looked bad. But I was like...Ehhh I guess it doesnt hurt to try. Wa..La rejected!
Begs the question, why did you attempt to post it?

Excuse my bluntness - it's my style and I can't shake it, but I mean well.
Another way of stating this question would be what type of reaction were you hoping to get by posting such a photo (which I am not able to see).

If you use RP to store your images, that's one reason to post.
If it was a newsworthy event, that's another.
If there was something special about the shot, to you, there's another.

But, if you didn't really like it but figured you'd throw it on - then why?
It's almost like saying; "Look, this is a representation of my work".
Either that, or you were going through "I haven't posted anything in over 2 weeks" syndrome!

Keep shooting - a phrase to live by: "The more I shoot the luckier I get".
Get out there and find something unique. Or, document history and get some well lit photos - look forward to seeing some more.

/Mitch
Stop, look and comment!
Click Here to take a look at my photos on RP.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:20 AM   #20
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose
With actually getting shots accepted into the database... he's got 5 so far (and they're pretty good, IMHO).
Your Monon cab shot is fantastic!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:38 AM   #21
NSFan14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New Haven, KY
Posts: 723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman
Begs the question, why did you attempt to post it?

Excuse my bluntness - it's my style and I can't shake it, but I mean well.
Another way of stating this question would be what type of reaction were you hoping to get by posting such a photo (which I am not able to see).

If you use RP to store your images, that's one reason to post.
If it was a newsworthy event, that's another.
If there was something special about the shot, to you, there's another.

But, if you didn't really like it but figured you'd throw it on - then why?
It's almost like saying; "Look, this is a representation of my work".
Either that, or you were going through "I haven't posted anything in over 2 weeks" syndrome!

Keep shooting - a phrase to live by: "The more I shoot the luckier I get".
Get out there and find something unique. Or, document history and get some well lit photos - look forward to seeing some more.

/Mitch
Stop, look and comment!
Click Here to take a look at my photos on RP.
MItch,

I guess I was just dumb and tryed posting...I dunno why I didnt know if theyd accept it or not. Sometimes im confused exactly what RP.Net is wanting and I just sent it to see if they would. I like the image but I thought it was kinda on the borderline of accepted & rejected.

And thanks for the kind word mitch
__________________
-Alex Moss
NSFan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:41 AM   #22
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFan14
Sometimes im confused exactly what RP.Net is wanting and I just sent it to see if they would.
And thanks for the kind word mitch
You're welcome!

As for your statement - it's not what RP wants, it's what you want your pictures to say about your style of photography.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:17 PM   #23
Carl Becker
Senior Member
 
Carl Becker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,218
Default

Not relating to the current discussion in this thread, but why has the reject link already expired? It should last for 7 days after being rejected...
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:35 PM   #24
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker
Not relating to the current discussion in this thread, but why has the reject link already expired? It should last for 7 days after being rejected...
I thought rejects stayed for 3 days, not 7.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #25
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFan14
Ive been a member on the forums since december '05. I just recently started posting photos and finally got a few accepted 3 weeks ago. Well maybe I got a few people fired up in this thread so maybe I should back off and not post anymore.
That's all I wanted to know. I wasn't quite sure what you meant by "new with this" after being here for so long.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose
With actually getting shots accepted into the database... he's got 5 so far (and they're pretty good, IMHO).
I agree. Good stuff.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.