Old 08-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #1
JRMDC

Default The Switchstand That Was Viewed, And Viewed And Viewed

Hey, everyone, if you are interested in how views happen here, gather around and hear the tale of the unlikely saga of the switchstand everyone wanted to see, indeed, what has become known far and wide as THE GREATEST SWITCHSTAND SHOT OF ALL TIME (c).

Oops, got carried away!

Anyway, on the day I uploaded (about breakfast time US east coast) what I thought was an ordinary switchstand shot, I noticed early on that the shot was getting a surprising number of views. It began to catch up to the shots accepted during the night which already had a number of views by morning. (It seems like when I check around 5am, sometimes 2am - the glories of having a baby! - there is always an initial wave of shots, perhaps Chris K does a late night screening on the US west coast.) By mid afternoon it had established a modest lead for the day, some 15 views ahead of Terry's Brunswick three-train shot that had been discussed in a thread here. That gap stayed firm all day as both shots acquired views at the same rate. Later in the day a UP firebox shot became established in third place. Trailing behind was an Andrew shot that I figured would overtake us all.

Waking up the next day, I was thrilled (yet puzzled!) to see my shot as #1. I'm on the home page! I'm on top of the world! One also gets an automated email acknowledging the success. During the night the UP shot had overtaken Terry's for second and Andrew's continued to trail. Terry's shot had about 900 views; mine was already well up over 1000. At this time I had no inkling that, indeed, I was seeing - in fact, all of us were seeing! - the emergence of THE GREATEST SWITCHSTAND SHOT OF ALL TIME (c).

Oops again!

As the day moved along the UP kept getting more and more views and nudged ahead of mine. Apparently that part of the home page is not updated dynamically because our thumbnails were not reversed during the day. At the end of the day I had a bunch of views, can't remember anymore whether it had already broken 2000 but I think so. Terry's shot was up around 1100. I focus upon Terry's shot in order to illustrate the incremental value of appearing on the home page. (The numbers are a bit foggy at this point but the relative values are more accurate.)

As the week continued on I continued to get hits. Soon I was in the top 15 of the Top of Last Week. Days passed and views continued to accumulate. As each day passed, shots would leave the Top of Last Week list due to age (it appears to be a Top of Previous 7 Days list) and I and the UP would move up. But something interesting happened. The UP got enough views over time to overtake a top shot from the previous day.

(Hey, my switchstand was lucky enough to be noticed at all; keeping up with an exposed firebox was much too much to ask! On the other hand, it is THE GREATEST SWITCHSTAND SHOT OF ALL TIME (c)! Oops!)

So, on Monday, the UP shot appeared in the top 2 of last week and got more exposure on the home page. The previous evening, the shot was roughly 100 views ahead of mine. 24 hours later it was 700 shots more, so the additional day's exposure for the UP shot netted 600 additional views. Also, I had some 2900 views and Terry's had 1200 at that point.

Tuesday morning the UP and I appeared side by side again, this time the UP in first. I had 3000 views, the UP 3800, and Terry's 1200. By the following morning it was 3750 vs. 4550 vs. 1300. So the second appearance on the home page pushed me (and the UP) an extra 650. Yesterday the UP and I were again on the home page. This morning: 4200 vs. 5000 vs 1400, so the additional day netted us an extra 400.

Overall, I've ended up some 2800 views ahead of Terry, solely because I ended up on the home page and he did not, and the additional fortune that transpires because a lot of hits leads to appearing near the top of the Last Week list and then on the home page again. Of that current gap, roughly 1200 is due to the initial Top 2 of the Day exposure and 1000 is due to the later Top of Last Week appearances; the rest is presumably due to the ongoing exposure of being on the first page of the Top of Last Week list for the entire week.

Or, perhaps more obviously, it is simply the recognition and attention due for THE GREATEST SWITCHSTAND SHOT OF ALL TIME (c).

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 195793
Photograph © Janusz Mrozek

I'm a numbers guy, personally, professionally; what can I say. And it is highly, highly unlikely that I stumble into this situation again. Hope you enjoyed this recap.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:56 PM   #2
Wizzo

Gorgeous scenery, interesting motive power, superb composition - hmmph, this weekend I'm going out to photograph mileposts

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:37 PM   #3
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC

Waking up the next day, I was thrilled (yet puzzled!) to see my shot as #1.
It's like a bad accident...you can't help but pause and take a look.

(I'm sure there's a photographer somewhere bitching about how he risked life and limb to get a one of a kind shot that generated far less views than yours. )
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
Joe the Photog

I discovered something interesting while working this 4 a.m. to 1 p.m. shift. If you upload your shots after midnight EST, you have a good chance of getting a Top Shot of the Day. I've actually done it a number of times including a shot of a speeder,

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

an aerial shot

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

a three way switch.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

and a scrap yard.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

(I'll have to finish this later....)
Old 08-09-2007, 04:55 PM   #5
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

Photos uploaded just after midnight will have a better chance of being the top shot of the day, since that honor appparently only goes to a photo that is actually uploaded that day. Therefore if you have a photo accepted at 12:01 am, it will have 23 hours and 59 minutes to gather views. If a photo is accepted at 12:59 pm, it will have about a minute! At least, that's how I think it works.

I've always wondered, what is the official timezone for determining the top shots? I would figure it's Pacific, but I'm sure one of the admins would know for sure.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzo
Gorgeous scenery, interesting motive power, superb composition - hmmph, this weekend I'm going out to photograph mileposts
Funny! But even the amazing, outstanding rail infrastructure photographer Janusz can't do much with a flat aluminum MP with a black number. So I add a train
Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 175845

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 175832

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 179758

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-09-2007, 05:03 PM   #7
bigbassloyd

I'm right along with you Janusz! I never thought this one here
Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 195546
Photograph © Loyd Lowry

would have been viewed like it was. I was merely wanting a piece of history documented, and even had second thoughts of uploading it.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:04 PM   #8
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
It's like a bad accident...you can't help but pause and take a look.
HILARIOUS!

Quote:
(I'm sure there's a photographer somewhere bitching about how he risked life and limb to get a one of a kind shot that generated far less views than yours. )
Actually, while I haven't done the life and limb thing, or the one of a kind thing (other than THE GREATEST SWITCHSTAND SHOT OF ALL TIME (c), of course), I have come in third, twice, much to my irritation. Both shots were run of the mill to my eye and I was puzzled by the views. Just like this time. So I can surely see someone getting miffed if they actually had a nice shot. Especially if they get out-viewed by a wreck photo or a blah roster shot of unusual power.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 08-09-2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:07 PM   #9
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken45
Photos uploaded just after midnight will have a better chance of being the top shot of the day, since that honor appparently only goes to a photo that is actually uploaded that day. Therefore if you have a photo accepted at 12:01 am, it will have 23 hours and 59 minutes to gather views. If a photo is accepted at 12:59 pm, it will have about a minute! At least, that's how I think it works.

I've always wondered, what is the official timezone for determining the top shots? I would figure it's Pacific, but I'm sure one of the admins would know for sure.
So true! I've noticed this before. However, it seems like the east coast AM wave has a good chance to overcome the headstart of the midnight wave if the shot is interesting. I guess there aren't that many viewers at that time, just those Europeans staring their days with some pix.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 08-09-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:24 PM   #10
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd
I'm right along with you Janusz! I never thought this one here
Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 195546
Photograph © Loyd Lowry

would have been viewed like it was. I was merely wanting a piece of history documented, and even had second thoughts of uploading it.

Loyd L.
Yes, isn't it strange how this all works.

For me, this (way, way more than) makes up for the shots I uploaded one morning that were not screened until like 10pm because the screeners were watching March Madness. Not many views that day or week.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 08-09-2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #11
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog

an aerial shot

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
I remember this one; I remember wondering why it got so many views. No offense intended.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-09-2007, 05:52 PM   #12
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

I am the one the one that took the UP shots and I was shocked that it even got accepted let alone most viewed of the week. It is neat seeing you photo on the homepage.

This is the photo that was top photo of the week

Image © WalterS
PhotoID: 195766
Photograph © WalterS

Image © WalterS
PhotoID: 196014
Photograph © WalterS

Last edited by Walter S; 08-09-2007 at 06:40 PM.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:58 PM   #13
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter S
I am the one the one that took the UP shots and I was shocked that it even got accepted let alone most viewed of the week. It is neat seeing you photo on the homepage.
Hey, Walter, I think your shot had a lot of interesting content, very informative. For that matter, you had a great wave of shots from your visit!

Actually, I think other of your shots were more interesting, such as the cab shot with everything labeled. But what determines things is whether it induces someone to click on a thumbnail, and your firebox shot just had something about it, I guess. Just like my switchstand shot.

Of course, I suspect the true reason for my success is that people kept clicking, wondering what it was about a switchstand shot, not visible in the thumbnail, that would get it accepted at RP.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-09-2007, 06:04 PM   #14
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

I guess the reason that everybody clicked on mine is because they wanted to see what the Challenger was up to. I guess it is not every day you see photo's of her in sthe shop. By the way I may start uploading my favorite shots at night. By the way how do you put a photo into a post I know it has been discussed before but I cant find those posts?

Last edited by Walter S; 08-09-2007 at 06:08 PM.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:12 PM   #15
Chris Starnes
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken45
Ken,
The server time is set to the Central time zone.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:21 PM   #16
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter S
By the way how do you put a photo into a post I know it has been discussed before but I cant find those posts?
[photoid=xxxxxx]
where the x's are the photo number

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-09-2007, 06:33 PM   #17
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Starnes
Ken,
The server time is set to the Central time zone.
I need to remember this. I always thought it was EST. Uploading at 3:30 a.m. just before I go to bed is nice though. First, the connection is real fast. Second, it puts the shots in the que at a good spot. But the bad thing is if one gets canned for somethng that can be fixed. I can't fix it til I get home at 1 p.m.

To finish my thoughts from above, I don't think some of my better shots get the Top Shot. For instance, the above aerial photo got a Top Shot of the Day and then a Top Shot of the Week. One reason why, I think, is that it was an aerial. Another, in the remarks I noted the two CSX coal trains. Third, I sent out an e-mail to some YGs noting that it was the first serial I had taken.

It's interesting to see which of my shots get the Top Shot, more interesting to compare a third place for the day view count with one that got the Top Shot. But right now, it's nap time.

Joe
Old 08-09-2007, 09:25 PM   #18
JimThias

You guys are just figuring out now that it's best to upload as early in the day as possible for the maximum number of views that day? I didn't think it was such a secret. I ALWAYS submit photos early in the morning just for that reason.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:31 PM   #19
WisconsinCentral

I know what you mean about risking your life and limb, except its more like the views it could (or is it couldnt?) get. Ive had a few shots that soar over 500 for no reason (that I can see). Heres a few examples of shots that did much better than I expected.

Image © Alec Holmes
PhotoID: 191385
Photograph © Alec Holmes

Not sure what the attraction was here (I love it, but getting 8XX views on the BNSF page isnt easy with some SD40-2s).
Image © Alec Holmes
PhotoID: 166658
Photograph © Alec Holmes

This is another one. I thought It would get around 200, but I guess people opened it because they thought there was something interesting (which there was I guess)

I know how the feeling is to be the one on the front page. I couldnt believe this shot did near as good as it did (I had a feeling It would either go through the roof, or flop) and when I got that email, I was very surprised.
Image © Alec Holmes
PhotoID: 191386
Photograph © Alec Holmes

Alec
WisconsinCentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:32 PM   #20
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinCentral
I know how the feeling is to be the one on the front page. I couldnt believe this shot did near as good as it did (I had a feeling It would either go through the roof, or flop) and when I got that email, I was very surprised.
Image © Alec Holmes
PhotoID: 191386
Photograph © Alec Holmes

Alec
When I first saw this photo I clicked it to see what that black engine was. I'm sure other did people too.
I shot the 6752 trailing being the 2006 (all swoosh) on that nights NTWWLM. Very clean indeed.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:33 AM   #21
chris crook

Oh wait wait wait! You mean views aren't based on artistic merit, but when they are posted?

I remember a few of these photos, and I clicked on a lot of them. In some cases (like the switch stand) you want to see what it says. In the case of the areal shot, I was wondering what the picture was of!

Flickr: Armco_block
chris crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:55 PM   #22
Kilroy1313

Default We also have those...

... but seeing all these rejections, where should I take the courage to upload you one of our switchstands ... or even other RR-accessories.

Sometimes tried to introduce something weird, but only some BAD MOTIVE or LOW ESTHETIC QUALITY came out with these...
asking myself, that probabely my oversea-stuff doesen't make it so much over there... (oups, seems I did write my secret thoughts down - will I be shot now?).

Surprised ? Yes, on this shot I was surprised, the way it was appreciated:

Image © Kilroy1313
PhotoID: 193696
Photograph © Kilroy1313
Train-Videos

Last edited by Kilroy1313; 08-21-2007 at 11:58 PM.
Kilroy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:57 PM   #23
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy1313
[IMG]photoid193696[/IMG]
Instead of [IMG] and [/IMG] just use [ and ], as in [photoid=xxxxxx]

Image © Kilroy1313
PhotoID: 193696
Photograph © Kilroy1313

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-22-2007, 12:00 AM   #24
Kilroy1313

Smile

Thanks, (we were fast); I was looking back on a further article.
Train-Videos

Kilroy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:11 AM   #25
jdirelan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
You guys are just figuring out now that it's best to upload as early in the day as possible for the maximum number of views that day? I didn't think it was such a secret. I ALWAYS submit photos early in the morning just for that reason.
I was just saying the same thing to myself. Don't know what the big secret, it took me about three days to figure that out.

As I see it, there are more or less 3 main categories that all POTDs fall into; unusually, wrecks and for lack of a better word, good pictures. That switch stand just falls into the unusually category, just got lucky on a slow day or something. Needless to say, I think a blow by blow story about its assent to success is a little overkill.

The honest truth, outside uploading early in the the AM, there is no good way to guess views. For examples, I've been keeping my figures crossed that I can get the two 'unusually' LTEX shots out of my top three. I think they are at are 7,000+ and 6,000+ views. Twice this year I had a really nice shot that got a bunch of awards and by all projections should have knocked out at least the 6,000+ but both fizzled out around 5,500.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote