Old 01-04-2015, 07:01 AM   #26
Coloradorailfan

Send a message via AIM to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Yahoo to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Skype™ to Coloradorailfan

Oh I guess I'll join in on this as well

Image © John Crisanti
PhotoID: 464727
Photograph © John Crisanti

Image © John Crisanti
PhotoID: 468718

Image © John Crisanti
PhotoID: 474573

Image © John Crisanti
PhotoID: 480445

Image © John Crisanti
PhotoID: 499374

Image © John Crisanti
PhotoID: 506545

My RailPictures Photos

My Flickr

"The camera doesn't make the photographer, it's the person behind the viewfinder."

- John Crisanti
Coloradorailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:05 PM   #27
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
I wasn't going to post but then I read this is Janusz favorite gallery, so:
Thanks, Mitch!

In your case these are the best uploads of 2014, as several shots were taken in December 2013, ha ha! Just guffing, good to see them.

But you do have a 2013 Strasburg shot uploaded in 2015, so no connection to 2014 whatsoever!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 01-04-2015 at 01:08 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:50 PM   #28
JimThias

Quote:
Getting mass appeal on RP with a shot from the Black River and Western is
quite an accomplishment.
Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 510730
Photograph © Mitch Goldman
First time seeing this one. Excellent!

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:01 PM   #29
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
First time seeing this one. Excellent!
Thanks Jim! Apparently you do not use this great feature that RP has on the front page:

"There have been XXXX photos added since your last visit!" I'll bet I haven't
missed a photo in years, lol.

I was really happy with that shot, despite the rapid climb from ISO 400 to 6400 awaiting a delayed #60. Lost some light but was glad to see the house lights come on. Unlike many diesel shots on RP, and even some mainline steam shots, you do not see many tourist steam shots break past 10 favorites or so on RP, (notwithstanding a certain Kevin Madore) especially along the not so scenic BR&W. A trip back the following week had me at ISO 10000.

J - thanks for pointing out my error. Lol... thanks a lot! You got me, a late night post, I was thinking, not so much 2014, but instead, what I had uploaded over the past year. Check back with me on the 2015 post, I'll try to get back on track!

/Mitch

Last edited by Mgoldman; 01-04-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:14 PM   #30
Bob Pickering

This is always fun! I enjoy seeing the top or best of the past year from other users.

With that said...based on views here are my top 10....what is interesting is despite a trip to the UK and other locations, my highest viewed shots were all local....

Starting at 10 and working down to 1

Number 10

Image © Bob Pickering (BP)
PhotoID: 468435
Photograph © Bob Pickering (BP)

This year the big winners of my views were the FEC Champion Scheme, seen here at Bunnell worn upon Sd40-2's

Number 9

PhotoID: 511432

The ES44's arriving on the FEC were also the huge story locally here in Florida and here three of them are seen on 101 coming out of Bunnell.

Number 8

PhotoID: 508729

The ES44's crossing a golf course in Daytona Beach drew a lot of views.

Number 7

PhotoID: 496263

The FEC Champion Scheme is very popular and for whatever reason this photo drew a lot of views, this shot from the SR 100 overpass in Bunnell.

Number 6

PhotoID: 470794

The champion schemed SD40-2's were a hit with fans and more so when they run in adverse weather as seen here during a departing thunderstorm in Bunnell.

Number 5

PhotoID: 509955

Of course the big big news was the FEC's ES44's, seen here on the seldom photographed Spruce Creek Bridge Port Orange.

Number 4

PhotoID: 495678

Stuart is one of the prettiest locations on the FEC but also one of the most challenging, things have to go just right for a train to be on the bridge in daylight..especially when it comes to southbounds. We got luck here when a short 224 turned up just after sunrise.

Number 3

PhotoID: 507578

This year it was all about the ES44's on the FEC..seen here on the maiden run in St. Augstine.

Number 2

PhotoID: 508635

Ever popular were looks at the new ES44's on the FEC, seen here at what is likely the most photographed bridge on the FEC.

And number 1

PhotoID: 507566

Of course we know the big story around here was the arrival of the ES44C4's on the FEC...this is my top viewed shot of 2014, the maiden run of FEC 804 & 803 the first two to arrive on the railway.

Happy 2015!
Bob Pickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:13 PM   #31
JimThias

Quote:
Thanks Jim! Apparently you do not use this great feature that RP has on the front page:

"There have been XXXX photos added since your last visit!" I'll bet I haven't
missed a photo in years, lol.
Maybe once a month or so I'll randomly click on that. But I usually don't have the time nor the motivation to look through pics. It's easier when the good ones show up somewhere for me to see with little to no effort.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 01-05-2015, 02:31 PM   #32
KevinM

This thread is already getting lengthy, so I'll try to keep this a little shorter than most. Scanning other posts, it appears as if stuff shot in other years and posted on RP in 2014 is fair game, but we'll try not to abuse that exception.

Shot on one of Pete Lerro's charters....
Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 507991
Photograph © Kevin Madore

Funny, when I was shooting this, I was silently thinking that I was the only one there who was blowing the opportunity. It didn't look great on the camera. It wasn't until I got it on a computer that I said: "Hmmmm, this one has some possibilities." Thank you for all of the kind comments and faves on this shot. Thanks also to the RP staff for the recognition.

Another one from Chelatchie Prairie. That place is a hidden gem:
Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 509023

A simple one from the Nevada Northern engine house:
Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 480667

The best shots from Nevada Northern are often the ones you take when no one else is around.

Winter at Sumpter Valley:
Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 473430

If you look at the landscape there on Google Earth, you'd probably think twice about going.....but you'd be totally missing out on another hidden gem.

Another from Sumpter:
Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 472276

Literally a spur-of-the-moment grab-shot.

From the V&T....rapidly becoming one of my very favorite railroads:
Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 470211

No awards or mega-views on this one, but I love the shot. I have a re-edit that has even more punch, which I will get around to uploading soon.

Last, but not least, a portrait from the Oregon Rail Heritage Center:
Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 502923

I'm terrible at photographing people, but I finally got one that I really liked. Views kind of tanked, but it showed me that there is hope.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:11 PM   #33
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Funny, when I was shooting this, I was silently thinking that I was the only one there who was blowing the opportunity. It didn't look great on the camera. It wasn't until I got it on a computer that I said: "Hmmmm, this one has some possibilities."
Can you explain your processing procedure? The colors and light balance look awesome on a lot of your latest steam shots, almost making the scenes look surreal.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:43 PM   #34
MassArt Images

Quote:
Can you explain your processing procedure? The colors and light balance look awesome on a lot of your latest steam shots, almost making the scenes look surreal.
Is that like asking Coke for the recipe for their delicious cola?

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:14 AM   #35
bigbassloyd

Quote:
I would venture a guess that he's using a structure command available via various editing plug-ins for photoshop, along with an HDR editor.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:40 AM   #36
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I would venture a guess that he's using a structure command available via various editing plug-ins for photoshop, along with an HDR editor.

Loyd L.
Hi Loyd,

What the heck is a "structure command?" I am all ears.

Seriously guys, my editing, if you can call it that, is not very sophisticated at all. I use Lightroom 5.7 for nearly all of my editing, and I typically export to PSE 12 for a few finishing touches...and I do mean touches. Most of the leg-work is in LR.

PSE 6 was my sole editing program until about 2010, when I converted to LR on the advice of a friend of mine who was also a serious enthusiast. Once I tried LR, I could not imagine messing with Photoshop or going back to PSE. In Lightroom, I can experiment and tweak all I want and never have to save anything. If I am working with a particularly difficult image, and it's getting late, I can just shut off the computer and pick up right where I left off later on. I can back out changes as well. I can also see the complete history of everything I've done with a shot.....and go back to a previous version if the current editing session doesn't pan out. There are some things Lightroom doesn't do well, like cloning, and that's why I keep PSE 12 as a companion program.

For a long time, I had LR3 and the Nikon raw files looked like absolute crap when they opened. I went to LR4 last year when I bought the D4, and wow, what a difference. Adobe finally figured out how to speak Nikon. The raw files open looking better, and the tools seem more gentle on the photo. LR5 is even an improvement on that. Even with better tools, I still perceived that my edits were sub-par....like I was not getting the full dynamic range out of the files. So, I recently started watching videos and talking to people to see how they approach editing. The net result is that I am now getting more aggressive with the sliders in the LR Develop Panel, and that is what you see. And yes, I do occasionally do selective edits using the Lightroom Adjustment Brush....which beats the hell out of messing with layers and creating huge files. Is there a "recipe" that works on all photos? No. It's not that simple. But now, I understand more about the relationships of the various tools/sliders and that enables me to get aggressive in some cases, without making the photo look too abused.

It still gives me pause when I get a comment such as: "This photo looks like a painting." That's not what I am trying to achieve. I don't want the photos to look like oil on canvas. I want my photos to look REAL....not like a camera would see them, but like my eye would see them....and of course, we all know there is a difference.

Anyway, I am not using any sophisticated software or any magic technique. It's a matter of getting the exposure right when I shoot.....I ALWAYS shoot full manual...and finally learning how to edit the resulting files.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:56 AM   #37
Ween

This one...because I took it and you didn't!

Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 484569
Photograph © Chris Paulhamus

Seriously though, this one took the most effort. The sky was just a bonus...
Old 01-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #38
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Hi Loyd,

What the heck is a "structure command?" I am all ears.
My exact thought.

Thanks for the explanation, Kevin. I was really hoping you'd say, "Well, I use ____ plug-in for photoshop." (And then off I would have gone to download it. )

I really need to get LR.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:57 PM   #39
bigbassloyd

structure is a command offered in several add-on editors that improve texture and details without halos and / or artifacts. If I can remember, I will post a couple non-RP images tonight.

Loyd L.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:16 PM   #40
bigbassloyd

Quick edit of a cloudy day Cass shot on Leatherbark Creek. The first image was processed without structure. Second one processed exactly the same with structure.

Loyd L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RPImage1.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	933.0 KB
ID:	8833   Click image for larger version

Name:	RPImage2.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	8834  

Old 01-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #41
Tgranville

Send a message via AIM to Tgranville Send a message via Yahoo to Tgranville

Here are my top photos from 2014

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

My RP.net Photos

My Flickr Photos
Tgranville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:52 PM   #42
ssw9662

Haven't uploaded a ton here lately (yay Flickr!) but I got a few that I really liked. Going west for 2 weeks in January and August did a ton to broaden my creative horizons.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©