I noticed the comments on photos are starting to get pretty entertaining lately

Image © Dave Schauer
PhotoID: 461258
Photograph © Dave Schauer
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
Dave Schauer

Default Derailment Images Pro and Con

I was surprised to see Mitch’s original comment on my photo. I’m still not sure what to make of that. If I was upset that I had a shot rejected I would take it up directly with the screeners, not post a comment on someone else’s image that I felt “slipped” though the screening process. Additionally, I would have posted something on this forum regarding the broader discussion topic about the place and relevance of derailment images on RailPictures.net. The follow-up comments were mostly in the camp that derailment/accident images cheapen the site and take away from “artistic” pictures, which I didn’t take personally as those are opinions on subject matter versus any one specific shot.

Derailment shots have their own category on RailPictures so obviously the owners of the list welcome them and there is no arguing those types of images yield high view counts (an example of giving your viewers what they want). One reason derailment shots receive high view counts is that they show a railroad environment that, fortunately, isn’t that common.

As a general rule this category will not deliver stunning artistic composition and lighting given the situations those shots are captured in but who is to say the “best” in RP.net’s slogan can’t refer to the best railroad derailment images on the web? I won’t apologize for my shot and while it isn’t “artistic” it is technically solid, newsworthy and frankly interesting. It is important to keep in mind that this site doesn’t claim to be the Center for Railroad Photography & Art (an excellent organization BTW).

Dave Schauer
Duluth, MN
Dave Schauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Your shot is fine and it did not slip by.

I suspect there is some innuendo that is involved knowing Mitch.

I would say the message was aimed at a screener, or screeners, since they vet the comments on photos.

People like train wrecks and fires.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:02 AM   #4
Mgoldman

Hey Dave - got your e-mail but was out on the road chasing something big, something blue, something with a big white plume.

Now that it's been brought up in the Forums, I'll respond here, though I just left a comment follow up on the image itself (in part, suggesting you remove irrelevant comments, my own included - though I did leave you kudos on capturing an interesting scene with further praise pending acceptance).

Holloran's correct - it should've been obvious the remark was an indirect and poorly thought response to a single screener. You're shot is very well captured and as stated in my follow up remark, not sensationalistic, nor is Dennis' as you (both) provided an informative and well written captions. Wrecks and derailments, and, yes casualties are a part of the industry and to pretend they do not exist would be a disservice to all. Unless, of course, RP was strictly a site for artistic sunny well list train images. It is not, of course, hence shots other then sunny day wedges are routinely (sometimes) accepted. I was merely stating that any and seemingly all wreck shots will "slip" in to the database, regardless, which lit a short fuse after seeing an image such as yours deemed "aesthetically pleasing" in light of my rejection just before yours. So, my apologies - though it was an interesting thread (other then Cityslicker's one snarky response). I guess he or she? still wants me to prove I can graffiti up a diesel better then 12 art students who were legally commissioned to do so, a feat I am happy to say, I can not. But I can get a similar paint job for his /or her car at no charge if he's willing to drop it off at a neighborhood I know of.

Anyway - I've had an unanswered appeal (2nd of two) and let it get the better of me - RP has a way of igniting fuses.

Accepted and seemingly well received:
Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 212386
Photograph © Mitch Goldman

Crap - not the kind of material we want published on our site:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...76&key=9526174

Just made no sense. Like any pic on RP, I'm sure there are millions of issues that can be pointed out, however, the fact that it is similar to a well received shot yet totally unacceptable despite pointing out that in comments to screener was par for the course.

I dropped the second appeal - "same as similar", though a completely different set of cars, different light at a different angle. Kind of like the 28 Big Boy images, except not the same subject.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:55 AM   #5
Joe the Photog

And then there was this one...

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Old 12-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #6
troy12n
Banned

This one is kind of funny

Quote:
Posted by CitySlicker on December 7, 2013
I personally think Mitch should stop thinking so highly of himself, derailment photos are few and far in between, fortunately. By no means did this photo slip in.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
And then there was this one...

I got one of those.

Image © EL ROCO Photography
PhotoID: 424761
Photograph © EL ROCO Photography
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Your shot is fine and it did not slip by.

I suspect there is some innuendo that is involved knowing Mitch.

I would say the message was aimed at a screener, or screeners, since they vet the comments on photos.

People like train wrecks and fires.
Dave, My original thread noting the comments are getting entertaining, was just that, your photo is fine and in my opinion well composed (I like the Charlie Brown Christmas tree in there) as far as what Mitch wrote, well you have to visit the forums to appreciate the antics, nonsense, tomfoolery, etc. (BTW Mitch has had issues since his dog photo got rejected) it's all in good fun.
Granted some comments get a little dramatic like:
"why do we need to see carnage all the time? I personally think the latest wreck photos of the Metro North train posted on this site were tasteless, especially since four people died!" (taking a shot a Dennis's photos)
RP is a source of media that highlights railroad photos, it's used to store and deliver information or data, posting photos of wrecks is no different than seeing them in the newspaper regardless of how or what happened.

I hope to see a few more of your shots of the wreck from what I hear The Shop yard is completely plugged because of this and they're parking trains everywhere.
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote