Old 04-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
jnohallman

Default What's up with the 844?

I've seen a number of references to the 844 having "mechanical difficulties" or an "injury." Does anyone know what the scoop is on the problem, and how long the 844 will be out of service?

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:07 AM   #2
stlgevo51

Somehow the 1982 was pushing the unit, and it had a failure in an MU connection of something. As the 844 tried to stop in Mt. Pleasant, TX, the 1982 failed to throttle down, pushing the engine a couple of miles further past its stopping point and causing severe flat spots on the 844's drivers in the process. The engine ran alone to Georgetown Rail in Georgetown, TX, so the crew could drop out the drivers, and they've already been taken off and outsourced for repairs. Luckily the E9s were in town and were able to take the excursion around, although on some crazy schedules based off of what I've heard. And if that wasn't enough, somehow their stair car ran away and got crushed by a gondola hauling rock at the Georgetown Rail facility.

Wrecked boxcar: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...spx?id=2990059
844 sans drivers: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=318937ee8b
Full forum at RR Forums with other videos: http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/...ghlight=broken

Last Memorial day, the 844 suffered from some bearing problems in the eccentric crank on the engineer's side. I was chasing on that unfortunate day, so I got some shots of it. The one below shows the main rod disassembled for work and chief Ed Dickens doing some work on it.
Image © Jake B.
PhotoID: 373181
Photograph © Jake B.
Youtube Videos

Last edited by stlgevo51; 04-27-2012 at 03:10 AM.
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:42 AM   #3
jnohallman

Thanks, Jake!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
Old 04-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

the big concern would be the UP reconsidering the risks involved in running these types of operations. funny the problem was actually the diesel. they should get rid of those things.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
Funny the problem was actually the diesel. they should get rid of those things.
Amen.

I'm not particularly interested in large steam engines, but would like to have 844 in my collection anyway. I just can't see flying halfway across the country to photograph a steam engine with a diesel right behind it. Put it at the end of the train....anywhere, but right behind the steam engine.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

I love big steam. A 4-8-4 hammering by at 60mph is truly a thing of wonder.

F'ing diesels. just have it run a few minutes behind.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post

F'ing diesels. just have it run a few minutes behind.
Good plan.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Good plan.
what's with the eye roll? unless you are on heavily congested rails I don't see what the difference is practically.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:53 PM   #9
jnohallman

In order for the diesel to keep up, you'd have to give it a few cars to pull. I believe light power moves are generally required to travel at restricted speed.

Jon

Old 04-28-2012, 12:45 AM   #10
Burner50

Send a message via MSN to Burner50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
In order for the diesel to keep up, you'd have to give it a few cars to pull. I believe light power moves are generally required to travel at restricted speed.

Jon
That is incorrect.

Light power moves are usually authorized to operate at passenger speeds provided that the dynamic brakes are sufficient to control speed. (if the dynamics aren't enough, or are inoperative, speed is limited to 45mph)

I believe that what you're thinking of is a rule that reads like this:

Quote:
Under any of the following conditions, a movement must not foul a crossing equipped with automatic warning devices until the
device has been operating long enough to provide warning and the crossing gates, if equipped, are fully lowered:
● Train, engine, and other such movements consisting of less than 12 physical axles.

--snip--
Burner50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #11
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner50 View Post
That is incorrect.

Light power moves are usually authorized to operate at passenger speeds provided that the dynamic brakes are sufficient to control speed. (if the dynamics aren't enough, or are inoperative, speed is limited to 45mph)
Interesting. I've seen references to light movements of Amtrak units which included a car so they could travel at track speed - is that because the dynamics on a P42 aren't "sufficient to control speed" of the single unit?

Back to the 844, has anyone heard where the drivers were sent?

Jon

Old 05-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #12
Burner50

Quote:
Interesting. I've seen references to light movements of Amtrak units which included a car so they could travel at track speed - is that because the dynamics on a P42 aren't "sufficient to control speed" of the single unit?

Jon
I don't have access to Amtrak special instructions. My previous response applies to UP only.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #13
stlgevo51

Quote:

Jon
Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum and Strasburg did the driver repairs. The engine has been and is on the move (I think it left Georgetown yesterday or the day before). The E9s were trailing.

I usually don't mind the diesels (the 1982 trailing the 844 was kind of cool last year, although it looked out of place), I would actually like to see the E9s behind the 844.
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
Burner50

My question is, Why didn't the MOP in charge of the operation initiate an emergency application of the brakes... Once this happened, the diesel should have stopped loading.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #15
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner50 View Post
My question is, Why didn't the MOP in charge of the operation initiate an emergency application of the brakes... Once this happened, the diesel should have stopped loading.
From what I've read in discussions of the issue in other forums, an emergency application of the brakes was initiated. However, the speculation is that in doing so, the responsible party failed to release the engine brakes on the 844, which locked up - hence the flat spots. That's whey the distance the engine was pushed was only 50 ft. or so. Again, this is merely information I've heard in other discussions - not official fact.

Jon