Old 06-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #126
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by J View Post
As for locomotive (in North America) go, that is correct. India has a huge fleet of Alco-powered locomotive built under license and Fairbanks Morse still markets their 38D opposed piston engine and the Alco 251 engine for industrial power uses.

http://www.fairbanksmorse.com/engine_fm_alco_251.php
Wow, I didn't know, I thought the opposed piston engine was an engineering failrure!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #127
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Neither is as American as POM Wonderful Presents: The Greatest Movie Ever Sold
Good one.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:03 AM   #128
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Wow, I didn't know, I thought the opposed piston engine was an engineering failrure!
FM was not very successful in Railroad applications due to "things other than the engine" (trucks & electrical system mainly) and poor marketing, but those engines are virtually indestructible and used extensively in Naval applications, earth moving equipment and cranes and other industrial applications.

Some RR's were huge on FM, such as the Virginian RY which was exclusively FM after dieselization (apart from their Electric operations). Their 6 axle trainmasters were used successfully by N&W as yard engines in their bigger coal terminals (Norfolk, Portsmouth, Bluefield, Mullens) well into the 70's.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:10 AM   #129
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
FM was not very successful in Railroad applications due to "things other than the engine" (trucks & electrical system mainly) and poor marketing, but those engines are virtually indestructible and used extensively in Naval applications, earth moving equipment and cranes and other industrial applications.

Some RR's were huge on FM, such as the Virginian RY which was exclusively FM after dieselization (apart from their Electric operations). Their 6 axle trainmasters were used successfully by N&W as yard engines in their bigger coal terminals (Norfolk, Portsmouth, Bluefield, Mullens) well into the 70's.
I was on the USS Salt Lake City maybe ten or so years ago and noticed the back up power was a Colt OP engine.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:56 AM   #130
J

FM was a long-time supplier of industrial equipment including pumps, large and small engines, scales, windmills, rail inspection cars, etc. After a few hesitant starts in the locomotive business (a switch engine and a Southern railcar) FM entered the business in a big way after WWII; a seemingly great time to participate in the huge replacement of steam locomotives. However their start was slow (partnering with GE to manufacture "Erie Builds") and they needed a break through design to differentiate themselves from the competition. The 2400 HP Train Master was the most powerful unit available when it began touring in 1953. Available with steam heat boiler, schedule 24 , powerful dynamic brakes it was intended (and did) serve any purpose including heavy acceleration commute power (CNJ and SP), heavy drag freight (Virginian and Wabash) etc. By this time other builders (including some who would later fail) had built hundreds more units than FM so they were relegated to being a niche player. Even so, when properly maintained they were very successful. SP used Train Masters in the Bay Area (demanding service - environmental concerns) until they reached 20. Supposedly one factor in their success was available retired navy personnel who had worked on FM ship power during their tours.
The next time you visit San Francisco, head over to Fisherman's Wharf where you can tour the submarine SS POMPANO (equipped with FM diesels.).
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:12 AM   #131
Freericks
Met Fan

Do the TVA units still work in regular service?
Old 06-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #132
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
FM was not very successful in Railroad applications due to "things other than the engine" (trucks & electrical system mainly) and poor marketing,
And damn expensive to work on, You had to pull the block to work on the lower half.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #133
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

That's right...they could hold the rail like nothing else, but maintenance was their downfall. The area I'm modelling used CP's entire fleet of F-M locomotives (Built by CLC, of course) up until they started retiring them in the early- to mid-70s. They say that a single H16-44 could handle the same tonnage as 3 GP9s up the 4.whatever % Warfield hill...
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:51 AM   #134
BrandonT

The only railroading experience I have is from MSTS, so I really don't know how GE's and EMD's "drive."
I do know a thing or two about flying gliders, but that's a little different!
I'll take whatever train I can get!

RP.net photos: http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=26363
BrandonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #135
viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by J View Post
The next time you visit San Francisco, head over to Fisherman's Wharf where you can tour the submarine SS POMPANO (equipped with FM diesels.).
Not to nitpick but...

That would be USS PAMPANITO (SS-383). SS POMPANO would be a merchie, not a fleet boat. There was a USS POMPANO (SS-181) however but she's on eternal patrol, not at Fisherman's Wharf.
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:40 AM   #136
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Not to nitpick but...

That would be USS PAMPANITO (SS-383). SS POMPANO would be a merchie, not a fleet boat. There was a USS POMPANO (SS-181) however but she's on eternal patrol, not at Fisherman's Wharf.
Submarine geek!

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:59 AM   #137
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Submarine geek!

Be very, very, very careful, Jim... calling someone a geek on a railfan site is tantamount to crossing the streams.

And as Harold Ramis has warned us, crossing the steams is bad.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #138
viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Submarine geek!

I'll take that title. Military aircraft, tanks, and warships are my forte; been studying them since I was 5. I have a bit to learn still on locomotives, you all have me easily beat there.
viper is offline   Reply With Quote