Old 06-25-2009, 04:49 AM   #1
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671
Default Hmm, any hope for these two?

I haven't been out railfanning during the daylight hours as much as I'd like to these past few weeks. I'm becoming a night owl and only going out when the sun is on the whole other end of the earth.

I managed to take advantage of these sunny skies today and came home with two shots that I thought stood a decent chance of getting accepted..

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=791108996
I looked at it, and agreed. I reduced some saturation and came up with this..

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=159511203
I tried reducing yet some more saturation and then tried to explain that since it was evening, there was a red glow for a lack of a better term shining off the nose of the engine.. Results were.....

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=163866823
Hmmm, I got the bad color reject again.. I guess I removed too much saturation? To me, it appears as so the image is now losing color depth.

Off to image number two... I tried submitting this image which was also taken during the evening hours..

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...9&key=92021875
I removed a bit of saturation after the first rejection and got Bad Color again. I eventually submitted the following version which I now also think is lacking color depth..

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=780360770

I'm not sure what is wrong. Perhaps it's just my monitor, or perhaps I just need to go back to staying indoors all day and spending my summer nights out trackside.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide

Last edited by Chase55671; 06-25-2009 at 05:00 AM.
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
wongm

Double post

Last edited by wongm; 06-25-2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Double post
wongm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
wongm

To me the latter two shots seem to missing a bit of contrast in the ballast, it looks washed out.

This isn't much help to you, but I find 'Bad Color' rejections annoying, as they aren't specific enough to tell you which way to go. At least under/ovder sharpening rejections tell you that much.
wongm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Here is another one that got rejected today... What am I doing wrong?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=701480&key=0

After doing a WB filter on it...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=701498&key=0

Chase
Old 06-27-2009, 12:04 AM   #5
khalucha

You are shooting on a cloudy/overcast day. Your colors are funky looking in the first one. The second one looks to contrasty to me.

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:23 AM   #6
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

I like your first shot a lot. It seems to have a red cast to it though, so I hope you don't mind, I played around with the color balance and exposure. Once I got the color I added some gama. You may want to try something like this.

Chris Z.

Last edited by Chris Z; 04-01-2010 at 03:20 AM.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:32 AM   #7
JRMDC

With over 100 shots on RP, some of very nice quality indeed, you may want to start being more selective in what you upload.

The switcher shot, the switcher in front blends into the one behind to the left. A pole comes straight out the stack, so to speak. It doesn't leap out well from the background foliage, despite the blue vs. green. It is a boring composition. It's not one of your better shots. It is below your average quality level. Consider putting it aside.

Of course, it depends on your motivation for uploading. There is a sharing all vs. best only sort of dimension and people fall on different places along the spectrum.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:14 AM   #8
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
I like your first shot a lot. It seems to have a red cast to it though, so I hope you don't mind, I played around with the color balance and exposure. Once I got the color I added some gama. You may want to try something like this.

Chris Z.
Thanks for the adjustments as well as the feedback. With only twenty SD70ACe's on the CSX roster, I didn't want to pass it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
With over 100 shots on RP, some of very nice quality indeed, you may want to start being more selective in what you upload.

The switcher shot, the switcher in front blends into the one behind to the left. A pole comes straight out the stack, so to speak. It doesn't leap out well from the background foliage, despite the blue vs. green. It is a boring composition. It's not one of your better shots. It is below your average quality level. Consider putting it aside.

Of course, it depends on your motivation for uploading. There is a sharing all vs. best only sort of dimension and people fall on different places along the spectrum.
I appreciate the feedback. I've put a lot of boring wedgies aside, mainly because I know I can do a bit better. I've looked at some of my recent accepted images, and I've noticed that I've pretty much gone to night photography 99%. I figured throwing in a couple daylight shots would help keep things balanced out. I suppose it was a poor attempt at doing that. It seems like my area that I generally photograph doesn't have as much potential during the day as it does at night especially during the summer when the sun is too far north.

Chase