Old 07-04-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

Default Content/Photos in Magazines

Here’s a question for everyone. Mr Van Den Bosch has raised an interesting question at Railpage Australia. Do you feel less inclined to purchase a magazine if the content and photos have previously been published online?

http://www.railpage.com.au/f-p1080571.htm#1080571

My answer is definitely not. It is the instantaneous nature of the Internet and the lead times of a magazine that cause ‘old news’ to be published in magazines. In my opinion that does not make the magazine less appealing. Sometimes a different angle is taken or additional information is published to counter this.

What do you think?

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
Callufrax
?

Location: Nth. Strathfield, Main Northern, CityRail - Sydney, NSW, Australia

It definitely doesn't make buying magazines less appealing. I still buy railway magazines, whether by subscription, or in a newsagent on the spur off the moment. There's just something about a photograph on paper, including magazines. In fact, I started subscribing to Motive Power as a result of seeing and reading content on the Internet.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
JRMDC

I don't buy magazines for news, I buy them for feature articles accompanied by nice shots. I stopped my subscription to Railpace because a) I didn't care about the detailed minutae news and b) many of the shots are tiny so that takes away from the pleasure.

A nice publication, just not for me at this time.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ
Do you feel less inclined to purchase a magazine if the content and photos have previously been published online?
Yes. Why would I want to spend money on photos that I can already view for free?
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
Yes. Why would I want to spend money on photos that I can already view for free?
Do you buy CDs or download music from iTunes or something similar? I mean, you can listen to music for free on the radio, right?

For me, a magazine is much more practical in the bathroom than a laptop, if you know what I mean...
Old 07-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #6
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
For me, a magazine is much more practical in the bathroom than a laptop, if you know what I mean...
Agreed. Good music analogy, too.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:07 PM   #7
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Quote:
Yeah, but you can't surf the forums from a magazine.

I don't mind seeing shots in a magazine after they've been published - I actually get a kick out of it - oh, I know that guy, I've seen that shot - good for him!
Old 07-04-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
I agree but the glossy pages don't work all that well. Newspaper is better

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #9
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Do you buy CDs or download music from iTunes or something similar? I mean, you can listen to music for free on the radio, right?
I buy CDs. I hate listening to the radio because rarely do I ever hear what I want to actually listen to and you also have to listen to the stupid DJs.

As far as the bathroom convenience factor, I prefer to be alone with my thoughts during those times.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:47 PM   #10
Ween

Quote:
I buy CDs. I hate listening to the radio because rarely do I ever hear what I want to actually listen to and you also have to listen to the stupid DJs.
Yeah, but the radio's free, just like RP. And similar to the radio, there's a lot of stuff on RP that I rarely want to see. And like DJs, those crazy flash/pop-up ads can be annoying. But it's all free, and that was where we got on the logic train...
Old 07-04-2008, 09:11 PM   #11
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, but the radio's free, just like RP. And similar to the radio, there's a lot of stuff on RP that I rarely want to see. And like DJs, those crazy flash/pop-up ads can be annoying. But it's all free, and that was where we got on the logic train...
The radio and RP are not the same. I can choose what photo I want to see RP, but I can't choose what song I want to hear on the radio. I can look at the photo anytime I want on RP, but I have to wait until the radio plays 'my song' to hear it. I have to listen to ads on the radio, but I don't see any ads on RP.

I think you've fallen off the logic train.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:33 PM   #12
Ween

Quote:
I think you've fallen off the logic train.
Nah, this is where we derailed:

Quote:
Why would I want to spend money on photos that I can already view for free?
Do you pay to see movies when they come out in the theater or when they're released on DVD? They'll probably end up on TV eventually.

Do you pay for the internet? It's free at the library.

Do you pay for sporting events? You can watch most of those on TV or listen to them on the radio for free.

Do you never go to any National Parks or Forests to see the sights? You can see photos of those places online for free.

And back to the music, you can record songs off the radio and play them back to your heart's content commercial free...all for FREE!

Don't worry though, the MoW crew's been called to get you back on track!
Old 07-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #13
Christopher Muller

Since I have XM radio in my car... would that be like an Elite Membership at RP? I need to get a sticker on my car that says "ELITE RADIO MEMBER". No annoying ads either.

I've been published in a few (non-paid) magazines, and I certainly like to see the printed copy. If I were to buy a magazine that was like "The Photos from RP.net" I probably wouldn't buy it... but other magazines that have a variety of photos I'd certainly buy it, even if a few of them were seen on various sites.
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:40 PM   #14
bigbassloyd

When I'm in the bathroom, I couldn't care less what shots I've seen on RP before.

If it's a good shot, it's worth seeing twice (well, 2 trips a day to the room times 30 da.. nevermind)

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:02 PM   #15
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Nah, this is where we derailed:

Do you pay to see movies when they come out in the theater or when they're released on DVD? They'll probably end up on TV eventually.

Do you pay for the internet? It's free at the library.

Do you pay for sporting events? You can watch most of those on TV or listen to them on the radio for free.

Do you never go to any National Parks or Forests to see the sights? You can see photos of those places online for free.

And back to the music, you can record songs off the radio and play them back to your heart's content commercial free...all for FREE!

Don't worry though, the MoW crew's been called to get you back on track!
All those examples you gave, you are actually getting something for your money. You're getting the convenience that you otherwise would not have. With a magazine, it's actually more inconvenient to view a photo in a magazine that online, for me at least. I'm sure you'll disagree though.

Yes, recording off the radio is a great thing to do and is full of nothing but benefits.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:16 PM   #16
Ween

Quote:
All those examples you gave, you are actually getting something for your money. You're getting the convenience that you otherwise would not have. With a magazine, it's actually more inconvenient to view a photo in a magazine that online, for me at least.
Got it. So a blanket statement of 'why pay for something I can see for free' probably would have been better worded along the lines of 'magazines are an inconvenient way for me to look at photos...it's much easier to look at them online for free.'
Old 07-06-2008, 06:51 AM   #17
Mike B.
Banned

If you want to pick apart what I said, then yes, that is correct.

I don't even know why we bother to have these disagreements. I hope we've both learned by now that neither of us will ever change the others mind about anything.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:44 PM   #18
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Quote:
I don't even know why we bother to have these disagreements. I hope we've both learned by now that neither of us will ever change the others mind about anything.
I believe that it is commonly referred to as "discussion."
Old 07-06-2008, 12:51 PM   #19
Christopher Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose
I believe that it is commonly referred to as "discussion."
Post at 6:44am?!?! Shouldn't you be at the bluff?! ...and yes, discussion can be a good thing.
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:14 PM   #20
WKUrailfan

Quote:
This is the dilemma that will probably result in the death of modern newspapers as we know it.
WKUrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:40 PM   #21
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKUrailfan
This is the dilemma that will probably result in the death of modern newspapers as we know it.
But how will we wrap our Christmas presents?!?!?
Old 07-06-2008, 05:54 PM   #22
JBCagle7073
Alpha Phi Psi

Send a message via AIM to JBCagle7073

One thing everyone seems to have forgotten is that magazines also have articles. If I buy a magazine I'm not buying a picture book, I'm buying it so that I can read something. Yes, I will usually flip through and look at the pictures and see what the magazine is about then I will read things that are of interest to me. I will also check out who all was published and that sort of thing, but the biggest draw for a magazine is not the pictures. The pictures are sort of dressing on the windows.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:52 PM   #23
shellman59

Send a message via AIM to shellman59

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCagle7073
One thing everyone seems to have forgotten is that magazines also have articles. If I buy a magazine I'm not buying a picture book, I'm buying it so that I can read something. Yes, I will usually flip through and look at the pictures and see what the magazine is about then I will read things that are of interest to me. I will also check out who all was published and that sort of thing, but the biggest draw for a magazine is not the pictures. The pictures are sort of dressing on the windows.
Amen to that JB, I buy a magazine to read the articles. I like looking at the pictures that are in the magazine but I buy it to read the articles. If it were just a magazine full of pictures, I wouldn't buy it because I could probably find photos of the same train or location on Railpics.
shellman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:15 PM   #24
PLEzero

Quote:
That was the most reasonable thing Mike B. has ever written on the forums.

I currently have no subscriptions to any railroad magazines. I prefer to buy single issues which have articles I would like to read. My main reason for this is that I have decided that it is a good place to cut unnecessary spending. At least at this point in my life.

Anyone who buys a magazine for news is missing the point of a magazine. Magazines are published on a monthly basis. Their content is centered around feature articles, not news. If the purpose of TRAINS Mag was to publish news it would be called TRAINS newspaper. It sounds silly but I think some people forget that when this discussion comes up.

I'm also a little concerned about photos that have already been published online to a major site such as RP.net and then published in a magazine such as TRAINS. I'm not saying photos should never be double published but TRAINS and every other magazine should be aware of the amount of material that has already been published. Too much repetitive material and no one will buy it.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:05 PM   #25
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Muller
Post at 6:44am?!?! Shouldn't you be at the bluff?! ...and yes, discussion can be a good thing.
Yesterday at 6:44 AM I was just about to leave the apartment for the bluff. Had family obligations today... will be there again tonight...