Old 11-13-2014, 04:13 PM   #1
Mr. Pick

Default Fuji X Mirrorless?

Anyone tried train photography with one of the newer mirrorless systems? I made the fatal mistake of stopping in my local camera store and got intrigued with the Fuji X series. I don't think I want to replace my DSLR system, but there are a lot of times that a smaller set up would sure be nice. The new 2.4m EVF's are pretty nice - a far cry from what EVF's used to be. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but sure thinking about it.

Any thoughts?
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:03 AM   #2
Freericks
Met Fan

I have the X20 (not exactly what you are looking for, but similar idea). When I go on biz trips I just take the small X20 now. There have been annoying limitations (really would have liked a bigger lens in Salt Lake City and didn't have it set to shoot multiple frames in Jacksonville, causing me to miss a shot).

That being said, I LOVE THIS CAMERA. The quality is terrific and 95% of the time it is just as good, if not better than my Canon 40D but at a small percentage of the weight and space.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
Mr. Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
I have the X20 (not exactly what you are looking for, but similar idea). When I go on biz trips I just take the small X20 now. There have been annoying limitations (really would have liked a bigger lens in Salt Lake City and didn't have it set to shoot multiple frames in Jacksonville, causing me to miss a shot).

That being said, I LOVE THIS CAMERA. The quality is terrific and 95% of the time it is just as good, if not better than my Canon 40D but at a small percentage of the weight and space.
Thanks Charles. Actually that's good information. This whole thing started when I looked at the new X30. I wanted a small camera to carry when traveling and when I couldn't lug the DSLR equipment and I loved the look and feel of the X30. But, I had about written it off due to the smaller 2/3 sensor size.

But, if you've been happy with the image quality from your X20, I may need to revisit the X30.

Thanks.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:01 AM   #4
blair kooistra

Mr. Pick,
I'm to blame for turning Freericks on to going the Fuji Route--he bought his X20 from me last year.

It was the X10 that got me going down the mirrorless road, and I bought it for the same reasons you are thinking about: compact, very easy to travel with, and incredible images. After a year with the X10 and then the X20, I soon found I'd much rather take the little camera out than haul the big bag of Canon gear around, and I decided a year ago to ditch my big heavy bag of Canon DSLR gear and go the mirrorless route. While for high-end, critical situations at this point the mirrorless is not equal to the DSLR (namely, very long, bright telephotos and very hyper critical auto focus, as you'd find would be needed by a Sports Illustrated photographer shooting football, etc. with a VERY tight crop), I have no doubt that the images I can produce with my 16mp Xtrans sensor X-E2 can equal that of a full-frame Canon or Nikon shooting equivalent glass. Certainly for publication on the internet or magazines/books.

Let's face it--most of move to full-frame sensors by rail photographers has been done to "keep up with the joneses"--much like the audiophile craze for stereos in the early 1970s. Most of the photographers with FF cameras out there will never approach needing the capability of their $3K bodies. How many photographers lately have whipped out 20 X 30" prints to show you? How many railfan photographers take advantage of the shallow depth of field to isolate subjects that the full-frame sensors excel at?

I now have two X-E2 bodies, three zooms (10-24, 18-55, 55-200) and three primes (18, 23, 27). All of these are well built, rugged, all metal--not a bit of cheap plastic found on the lenses (you can't say that about Canikon). And these lenses are every bit the match optically for the best Nikon and Canon produce--many have said that some of the Fuji lenses exceed those of Leica/Leitz.

It's a learning curve, for sure, to move from a DSLR to a mirrorless system. . . it's a different experience shooting thru a digital viewfinder. But I've found that while I have to think a bit more when making a photograph than I did with an essentially point-and-shoot DSLR, that's been a good thing for me: it's taken what had become a rote exercise in raising camera and pushing button into a creative experience. I'm not the only one out there thinking such--I know Scott Lothes, Richard Scott Marsh and Michael "Mad Dog" Sawyer are among those who have added Fuji X series cameras to their arsenal.

I think the camera industry is moving towards Mirrorless as the future. Fewer moving parts (cheaper to own vs. cost of repairs), cheaper to manufacturer, smaller, lighter. We're in the early generation of mirrorless right now; consider 2014 the equivalent of 2003 when folks were first facing the option of dumping film to go DSLR. . . it's the same thing today with Mirrorless vs. DSLR.

While I'd a die-hard Fuji advocate, I'd also advise you to examine the systems produced by Olympus (with the mirco 4/3 format) and Sony. I think if you look at Oly, Sony and Fuji, you'll find THESE are the camera manufacturers who are really on the cutting edge of future innovation. The lack of responsiveness in innovation of Canon and Nikon is well known. I think they're getting the message, though

Last edited by blair kooistra; 12-02-2014 at 01:04 AM.
blair kooistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:07 AM   #5
Mr. Pick

Blair, thank you! Since posting this thread I picked up a used Fuji X100S and absolutely love it. The last three pictures I've posted here on RP were taken with it. It is a true joy to use. I haven't enjoyed taking pictures this much in years. And as you said, the image quality is very good.

Even though I bought the X100S to supplement my DSLR, I've grown so fond of the Fuji controls and systems that I've already been back looking at the XE2, Xpro and the XT1. There's a strong possibility I'll follow in your footsteps and sell the Canon gear and go all Fuji - I like it that much!

Thanks for the information (and the enabling!)
Old 12-03-2014, 03:14 AM   #6
Dennis A. Livesey

Blair

I am so glad you posted this.

Ever since hearing that you went Fuji (and having enjoyed the fantastic pics you have done with it) I am all ears!

Even if you are a junior member with only 4 posts…..

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
blair kooistra

Dennis, you may see I've posted this link today from a Nikon D800 owner and his comparison between that $3K camera and the $600 Fuji X-E1. Pretty surprising results. Caution to kids at home: there's a couple photos containing boobs in here:

http://www.jiriruzek.net/fuji-x-e1-v...d-goliath.html
blair kooistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
Freericks
Met Fan

uh, huh, huh, huh, you said boobs... uh, huh, huh, huh
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:17 PM   #9
miningcamper1

Ruzek's test is really interesting. Surprised the Nlkon lost in the wide-open test. But then, I never shot wide open or even at f2.0. (Well, except for a Hail Mary of NKP 759.)

I'd really need to see large images, though, say 2048 x whatever.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #10
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

I shot this wide open at F2.8 with a Nikon D700.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/roadju...ream/lightbox/

At 100% I was really stunned at the detail that came out. I wonder how the Fuji camera would compare at doing the same thing. Although, one of the comments below the article, said he used a lens that was not recommended to be used with the D800. So I'm still skeptical.

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote