Old 09-17-2019, 11:16 AM   #1
Sean Mathews

Default I give up, lol...

Sometimes you can't win. Thought these pan shots were quite good.

One had an ever so small amount of brush covering the front plow. Guess that was enough to get slapped with obstruction.
https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...93&key=2427091

The next was originally overexposed. Fixed that, and it got slapped with a cloudy image.
https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...52&key=1426286

And yes... I get this is front coupled... but again, its a pan shot and I feel its pretty darn spiffy...
https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...37&key=4835858

Meanwhile, todays top pic... virtually identical in respects. Guess I needed a patch of snow to get mine through.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/710038/

I'm ready to call it. Not really... but its an exercise in frustration and insanity.

O. Winston Link would lose half his images here...
Old 09-17-2019, 01:57 PM   #2
bigbassloyd

I scratched my head on the TO24 one too for what it's worth. With regards to your shots; the color is off, the lighting is towards the overexposed side, and it's lacking contrast. Not really a ton of induced blur through the scene either. Overall I feel the rejections are justified when judging the image as a whole.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:37 PM   #3
Sean Mathews

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I scratched my head on the TO24 one too for what it's worth. With regards to your shots; the color is off, the lighting is towards the overexposed side, and it's lacking contrast. Not really a ton of induced blur through the scene either. Overall I feel the rejections are justified when judging the image as a whole.

Loyd L.
Fair enough. I am working off of a new computer monitor and I think I need to better calibrate it. I think that might be causing my issues editing.

As for the blur... yeah, I can see that. For some reason that day the trains were moving fairly slow. It's all good though. You live, you learn, you make better photos next time!

I've had better pans in the past, so its no biggie. I think it just kind of stings when you spend a whole week and nothing pans out how you want. But that's how the cookie crumbles for us sometimes.

I feel better now anyways...
Old 09-20-2019, 04:44 PM   #4
Joe the Photog

I can always tell a photog has no leg to stand on when they compare their own rejected shot to one already in the database. Your shots just weren't good enough, bro.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:52 PM   #5
amtk_cr_pc

Good afternoon all:

NOTE: I am bystander on RP forums. My RP enjoyment is restoring old slides. I am not a good photographer with an eye for the detail you all have, and what is clearly required for successful photography, especially in the digital age. The comment below is only a question for discussion and opinion. I am not offering criticism of any photographer's material as I am not qualified to do so.

All that said, one thing I do know about is leveling. Obviously I care that a slide has good composition, then good color and light quality. However, I often take as much or more time leveling my submissions properly than any of the other edits. It seems to me that all of these images above (rejected and accepted) are unlevel to my eye, (though Sean's second and third rejections are close). Personally, I like Sean's images more than the accepted one (even the front-coupled is decent), but they still all seem unlevel to varying degrees. I see that a lot on RP.

Perhaps this is how the shots should look and/or I do not understand proper leveling techniques in different situations. Or, perhaps my vision is just warped. I ask this as a curious bystander that wants to improve his slide processing to submit even better images. What do you guys think? Thanks.

--NMM
amtk_cr_pc is offline   Reply With Quote