Old 12-21-2011, 01:43 AM   #1
Ron Flanary

Default Cool Use of RP Images

Earlier this afternoon, I received this e-mail from Otto Vondrak at Railfan & Railroad:

Hi Ron-

I was wondering if I could get your permission to re-run your "Memories of Louisville" story that originally appeared in the February 1995 issue. I'd like to share it with our web site readers. I illustrated the story with some photos you had uploaded to Railpictures.net that seemed to be around the same time you were talking about.

http://railfan.com/archive/rf_archiv...louisville.php

Let me know what you think!

-otto-

Of course I told him that was fine by me. The reason I'm posting this is to show a neat way images at RP were used by a magazine publisher. In this case it's just an on-line repeat of an old article I did, but all Otto had to do was use RP's search engine to find a few of my old shots at Louisville. With my okay, he was in business.

Do the magazine editors use RP to mine for images (particularly newer stuff)? You bet they do! I would thus encourage the younger photographers to showcase your stuff here, because it could lead to being published...plus it would enrich your bank account a bit.

Oh...most of my shots Otto picked off RP had not been used in the original article, since they were taken in 1963. The shots taken later ('64, '65 and '66 primarily) were better quality, so those were the ones I submitted back in '95. The color shots in the original article were by the late Jim Boyd. We learned we had been at Louisville Union Station on nearly the same summer day in 1965.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:25 AM   #2
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Great article Ron. I'll have to re-read it when my eyes aren't so bleary (damn work!).

My dad used to get R&R when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s. I'd give it a once over to look for some color photos. I'd ask him why he didn't get Trains instead.

"Too expensive!"
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:29 AM   #3
Mr. Pick

Very good article, Ron, I enjoyed it. Good photo selections they made for it as well. Thanks for sharing.
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:44 AM   #4
MagnumForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post

Do the magazine editors use RP to mine for images (particularly newer stuff)? You bet they do! I would thus encourage the younger photographers to showcase your stuff here, because it could lead to being published...plus it would enrich your bank account a bit.

Flickr is also their domain.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
Flickr is also their domain.
I'd be curious to see the percentage of shots that editors used that were found on flickr as opposed to RP.

Not trying to start a flickr vs. RP war here, I'm just curious.

Some day I'll get around to uploading pics there. I created an acct years ago but never added anything. Just been too lazy, I guess. That and I have a hard enough time finding motivation to process and submit shots to RP as it is.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I'd be curious to see the percentage of shots that editors used that were found on flickr as opposed to RP.

Not trying to start a flickr vs. RP war here, I'm just curious.

Some day I'll get around to uploading pics there. I created an acct years ago but never added anything. Just been too lazy, I guess. That and I have a hard enough time finding motivation to process and submit shots to RP as it is.
I don't have a Flicker account, for the same reason you mentioned.

From my conversations with magazine editors, it appears they troll through RP on a regular basis---particularly in search of more recent stuff. For a web-based thing such as what Otto put together, inserting the appropriate dates, choice of photographer, etc. on the RP search engine gave him several choices (although he apparently only used "1963," since all the shots are from that year).
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #7
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Flickr is for personal use and sharing with friends. To try and develop any kind of an audience on flickr is very hard. a good photo on a nice flickr photostream might get 50 views.
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:03 PM   #8
MagnumForce

I know of many editors on Flickr, including Mr. Vondrak. Remember also that Flickr thumbnails themselves are quite large which gets rid of the need to click all the way onto the photo. The railfan photographer community on Flickr is quite expansive and interactive. Some really amazing stuff on there that is not on RP.

Another thing about clicks is that 99% of them on RP are from your everyday common foamer.