Old 08-17-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
Missabefan

Default Chasing the Carrot

Group,

I just wanted to post this to vent slightly.

I submit this photo and it gets rejected for oversharpened.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=845727&key=0

Figured it was an easy fix and not a PEQ or PIQ so I go back and reduce the sharpness half and re-submit with a note saying I reduced the sharpness per a previous rejection.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1148192188

O.K Go back and reduce the sharpness half again and re-submit with a note saying I reduced the sharpness further per a previous rejection.

Third attempt I get the PEQ.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...9&key=50564953

Why not the PEQ right away. Boom. Done. Move on. Why string it along for three rejections? I don't want tp appeal asking this for fear of having that option removed from me. It had to be the same screener doing all three as it was over the course of 15 minutes or so.

Thoughts and comments welcomed and appreciated.

Missabefan
Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Missabefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
troy12n
Banned

preaching to the choir
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
barnstormer

Send a message via Skype™ to barnstormer

I have had that same thing happen to me before. They drag it out a couple of rejections and then just nail it with peq. I honestly don't know why they do it but I wanted to let you know that you aren't alone

See my shots on Railpictures
See my shots on RRpicturearchives
barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missabefan View Post
Group,

I just wanted to post this to vent slightly.

I submit this photo and it gets rejected for oversharpened.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=845727&key=0

Figured it was an easy fix and not a PEQ or PIQ so I go back and reduce the sharpness half and re-submit with a note saying I reduced the sharpness per a previous rejection.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1148192188

O.K Go back and reduce the sharpness half again and re-submit with a note saying I reduced the sharpness further per a previous rejection.

Third attempt I get the PEQ.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...9&key=50564953

Why not the PEQ right away. Boom. Done. Move on. Why string it along for three rejections? I don't want tp appeal asking this for fear of having that option removed from me. It had to be the same screener doing all three as it was over the course of 15 minutes or so.

Thoughts and comments welcomed and appreciated.

Missabefan
It's quite possible a new screener could've came in and rejected it in those 15 minutes. The screeners don't want their time wasted any more than you want your time wasted, so I find it highly unlikely a screener would "tease" you for two or three times before nailing the shot completely.

In my opinion, the shot is confusing. Doesn't really do a whole lot for me and I'm sort of puzzled at what the main subject is.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
coborn35

How are you puzzled at the main subject? Obviously its the rail...
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
Joe the Photog

I know it can get irritating, but what Chase said is, to me, obviously and logically what happened. The same screener may have given you the oversharpened reject, then a new screener began going trough shots and hit you with the PRQ. I can certainly see PEQ with this one. More "simply not the type of material we are wishing to publish" than "low esthetic qualities." I can look at the shot and see you thought it out. The lines work well and all go off the frame at the same place on both sides. But there's not really much to look at other than that.

Again, what Chase said stands up. How is it in their best interest to tease photogs along with fixable rejections only to give them one they knew all along they would give like a PEQ? It makes no sense.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

A lot of times a photo is hard to judge because of glaring technical problems but once the photo is technically well, then it just may not work. Then you get the balance, composition, cropping, or peq rejections. Probably not what happened with this photo but others.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:13 PM   #8
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
How are you puzzled at the main subject? Obviously its the rail...
What really is the main subject here? There is no focal point at all. You can't even tell where or why the rail is where it is. When shooting just rail cool angles, shadows, lighting, dof, or something that stands out like a bolt or markings are needed. The shot is almost an abstract photo and with better light or something that makes it a little bit more interesting it would be a winner.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #9
Missabefan

Group,

It's not about the shot I have the problem with, it's about the rejections. I sent it in originally at 11:57p.m. and there were 3 shots ahead of it. It gets rejected. Re-do it and re-send it at 12:06 a.m. with 2 ahead of it and it's rejected for the second time. Re-do it and re-submit it for the third time and mine was the only one in the queue. Rejected at 12:15 a.m.

If there are only four screeners (another thread mentioned this) and my shot was rejected three times in 15 minutes in the middle of the night I have to question the different screeners theroy. It's possible I suppose. With a limited uploads per day limit I sure try to submit decent stuff the first time and with an oversharpened reject I figure it's a simple fix. I am not looking to play games either but man it sure seemed funny at the time

The shot may or may not appeal to everyone but what does? It's something different beside a wedgie and it's still railroad releated. The subject is the rails, the symetrical, evenly spaced, angles, lines, and colors of the rails. That's it. Consider it artsie I suppose.

I guess I'll never know because of the complete lack of communication between us as contributors and administration but man we have to walk a fine line here. Can't appeal to much, can't contact them (never a response) reduced uploads with no warning or system for it and if now a "teaser reject" or two and I can see by the few responses that I'm not the only one this happens to. Not the way to run a business or site but.... anyway that was covered in other threads. Some simple communication or comment would go a long way.

So I guess I'll move on and keep playing the game. But some day I'd just like to know why that's all.

Missabefan
Old 08-17-2010, 07:26 PM   #10
Missabefan

So is this photo technically correct? If it is then what happened with this photo?
Old 08-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #11
travsirocz

Quote:
So is this photo technically correct? If it is then what happened with this photo?
Looks to be but it just isn't railroad enough for them.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:34 PM   #12
JRMDC

Quote:
I don't understand your question. It was not rejected, 3rd time, for a technical reason, rather aesthetic.

For my tastes - and I am someone who often favors shots with a high degree of abstraction so I am not biased against this sort of attempt - this shot has nothing to offer. Just parallel diagonal lines, no interesting colors, no interesting textures, no interesting light, no interesting composition. Just parallel lines. PEQ

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:39 PM   #13
cblaz

Or maybe, it was the same screener all three times and he felt you didn't really correct the sharpness issue and was getting tired of seeing the shot every five minutes, so he gives you the PEQ to put an end to the repetitive uploading.

- Chris
Old 08-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #14
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
Group,

It's not about the shot I have the problem with, it's about the rejections. I sent it in originally at 11:57p.m. and there were 3 shots ahead of it. It gets rejected. Re-do it and re-send it at 12:06 a.m. with 2 ahead of it and it's rejected for the second time. Re-do it and re-submit it for the third time and mine was the only one in the queue. Rejected at 12:15 a.m.

If there are only four screeners (another thread mentioned this) and my shot was rejected three times in 15 minutes in the middle of the night I have to question the different screeners theroy. It's possible I suppose. With a limited uploads per day limit I sure try to submit decent stuff the first time and with an oversharpened reject I figure it's a simple fix. I am not looking to play games either but man it sure seemed funny at the time
Again, it's quite possible there could've been two screeners. I do a lot of my submitting at night and I've at times, noticed two different screeners. 12:15 am is not in the middle of the night. Chris Kilroy screens often well into the wee hours of the morning and he lives out west. While it may seem late for us, it's just late evening for him.

Quote:
The shot may or may not appeal to everyone but what does? It's something different beside a wedgie and it's still railroad releated. The subject is the rails, the symetrical, evenly spaced, angles, lines, and colors of the rails. That's it. Consider it artsie I suppose.
Travis nailed it. Not much of a focal point. It's an awkwardly cut off scene that needs something else to make it more appealing.

Quote:
I guess I'll never know because of the complete lack of communication between us as contributors and administration but man we have to walk a fine line here. Can't appeal to much, can't contact them (never a response) reduced uploads with no warning or system for it and if now a "teaser reject" or two and I can see by the few responses that I'm not the only one this happens to. Not the way to run a business or site but.... anyway that was covered in other threads. Some simple communication or comment would go a long way.

Missabefan
Believe what you want, but I still stand by my statement that I find it highly unlikely a screener cares enough about you to tease you with rejections.

And it all comes back to it's their site and they can run it the way they wish. If you have a problem with the inconsistency and the lack of communication, you're entitled to submit elsewhere.

Chase

Last edited by Chase55671; 08-17-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #15
Joe the Photog

Quote:
The subject is the rails, the symetrical, evenly spaced, angles, lines, and colors of the rails. That's it. Consider it artsie I suppose.
Honestly, if it was more "artsy," I'd say it would have a better chance. I believe both Travis and Janusz mentioned this. But play around with different angles, stoop down if possible, play around with the DOF or something. It looks like a fairly ordinary snap shot of rails lying around. I get the symetry and commented on that earlier, but I believe the screener who gave it the PEQ as well as most of those of us who commented don't feel it holds enough interest for inclusion to the database.

It reminds me of when I shot a big pile of ties near an abandoned spur. I tried and tried and tried to get different angles, close ups, blurd foreground shots, blurred background and all I had at the end was the expirience and about a hundred exposures, a few of which went to Flickr, none of which were submitted here. Chalk it up to expirience. (And, in my case, there was a Steak & Shake nearby!)
Old 08-17-2010, 08:04 PM   #16
Missabefan

So if it was the same screener after the third time gave the PEQ then there is techniclly nothing wrong with the photo. Why not accept it? Corrections where made, explained as such etc.etc.etc. Wether you (or someone else) likes it or not, that's a whole different debate.

The original rejection was not PEQ but rather over sharpened which is why I kept trying and re-working it. The third attempt was almost no sharpening at all.

We can go around and around with this but... I think I'll never get an answer.

Missabefan
Moving on.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #17
JRMDC

Quote:
So if it was the same screener after the third time gave the PEQ then there is techniclly nothing wrong with the photo. Why not accept it? Corrections where made, explained as such etc.etc.etc. Wether you (or someone else) likes it or not, that's a whole different debate.

The original rejection was not PEQ but rather over sharpened which is why I kept trying and re-working it. The third attempt was almost no sharpening at all.

Missabefan
Moving on.
You should move on, but I am surprised that you seem to be missing the basic point, since you have been around here for some time. The list of rejection reasons on the first, second, third, any round of submission is not a comprehensive list of everything the screener finds or subsequent screener might find lacking in a shot.

The reason "why not accept it" does not apply when there is "technically nothing wrong" is that the criteria for acceptance are not just technical. How are you missing this?

Your entire complaint here seems to collapse to the first rejection not saying PEQ. But you have been around the forums enough to know that is just how it goes sometimes. No one set of rejection reasons is necessarily comprehensive. Many perceive that to be a flaw in the RP screening process, but this should not be news to you.

Perhaps you are just venting, being caught in the vortex this time. But you seem to be saying more, you seem to be saying that there is something special about your case. I don't think so, welcome to the club.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:36 PM   #18
Joe the Photog

Quote:

Missabefan
Moving on.
You have gotten a series of possible answers. The screeners may not have spoken as to why the first two rejects were one thing and the third was another. But we gave you some possible answers. Then you say there is technically othing wrong with the picture, therefore, no reason to reject it. Well, that's just plain silly. ThePEQ rejection has never been technical, it's always been more a we don't wnt this one" reason.

The odd thing is that no one has really said the picture SHOULD be accepted, though we gave you several ways to aproaching this kind of subect in the future. Yet you keep going back to the question of why it got rejected.

I think we all understand disappointent. Sometimes I think a really great shot I've uploaded has been rejected and that surely the screener must be on drugs. But that's how it goes. A rejection really doesn't say anything about the photograph or the photographer as much as it does about the screener. But that's as it should be since it is their site.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:35 AM   #19
Missabefan

Group,

Thanks guys for the answers and perspectives. I was frustrated that a seemingly simple rejection fix turned into something much bigger. Maybe I made too much of it. Maybe I looked at it too hard.

Anyway, I'll drop it and leave it in the personal collection. If I ever get the opportunity, I'll maybe shoot it again. Differently

Missabefan
Old 08-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #20
Missabefan

Hmmm,

Image © Thomas Schäfer
PhotoID: 335036
Photograph © Thomas Schäfer

Another idea for me to try.
An abstract rail shot!

Missabefan
Old 08-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #21
travsirocz

That one is much more pleasing to look at but the angle and levelness kinda kills it for me.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #22
Missabefan

Not trying to be an a** here but how can it be more pleasing to look at yet there are things that kill it for you?
Old 08-19-2010, 04:41 PM   #23
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
Not trying to be an a** here but how can it be more pleasing to look at yet there are things that kill it for you?
I agree with Travis. The one recently posted is more appealing. You can actually see what the subject is. The angle is a little high, but still an appealing image.

Chase
Old 08-19-2010, 05:14 PM   #24
travsirocz

Quote:
It's more pleasing to look at compared to your rejected image is what I meant. And the parts that kill it are much more minor then yours. I will make a deal with you. You let that shot sit for 1 year and when you go and look at it in a year and you still like it as much as you do now I will buy you lunch if you come to Eau Claire, WI on 10-12-2011. Valid one day only.