Old 08-25-2009, 08:07 PM   #101
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
We have a problem with people who talk with a normal accent.

Loyd L.
You cant tell what my accent is from my typing......................... Ya all Not only that, I said "ain't and I always put an "R" in "Warsh the car" Dad gumit Lloyd, I'm 'bout the only one in my family that ain't livin in WV !

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!

Last edited by J Douglas Moore; 08-25-2009 at 08:10 PM.
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:07 PM   #102
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

My latest night shot from West Newton was not made without a visit from a police officer. I was with a friend from the town, I'm not from there. Only about 15 minutes away, but different cops. Told us he hates trains, never wants to see a train when he retires, blah blah. I don't think he believed we were taking night shots because he kept on asking "Are you sure? In the dark?". Didn't try to explain it to him, since he didn't care anyways. I think if I were to be by myself I would have probably got the boot, but the friend I was with knew him and the cop knew him and his family. Oh well. I got my shot, and I annoyed him before he left going on and on about my first out of 2 trips to Altoona this past week. The one cop in Gallitzin sure didn't care I was parked along the ROW by the "Atheist Station", I'm guessing he's used to seeing dumbasses out in the middle of the night with tripods and SLR's, haha.

Ben
Old 08-26-2009, 01:32 AM   #103
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

I was actually pulled over in Bridgewater before I got this shot. (Warning-DO NOT GO WRONG WAY ON A ONE WAY, no matter what TomTom says, lol. The first words out of the cop's mouth were, "Are you lost?"
"Well yes sir, I am."
"I thought so, I saw you go the wrong way back there. Where are you trying to go?"
"To this end of the RR bridge over the Ohio to take some night shots."
"Oh, go back to that first light behind us and make a right."
"Thank you sir."

Needless to say, I still had my 9mm under my arm rest because of where I just came from at that time of the night 'Steel City Nights'. It could have been really ugly. I told him it was there without 'moving' toward it before he saw it, and all he wanted was to see my Protection Permit. I never saw him or any other cops the rest of the night/morning to see if I was actually shooting-photos, although my Preserve PA's Heritage RR license plate probably confirmed that it when he ran me.

Not all cops get pricked when they put on their badge.
Image © Kevin Ashbaugh
PhotoID: 287460
Photograph © Kevin Ashbaugh
Old 08-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #104
RicHamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2) View Post
My opinion of cops was severely damaged after an ordeal in South Amboy that required going to court and getting chiefs of police involved: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewt...p?f=69&t=63336
Ok I read what happened to get you the citation. Did I miss the results somewhere? Just wondering what the outcome was.
RicHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #105
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicHamilton View Post
Ok I read what happened to get you the citation. Did I miss the results somewhere? Just wondering what the outcome was.
Sorry, I actually never updated the thread. It was dismissed since I clearly did nothing wrong and the only reason I was given the summons was because I was taking pictures of trains.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:08 PM   #106
RicHamilton

I would hope that the officers were chatised for it by the judge or at least by a superior officer.
RicHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:27 AM   #107
Don Sharer

Default Photographers Bill of Rights

I came across this about 8 months ago and thought it was helpful. It might not hurt to have it in the cmera bag also.

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm
Don Sharer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:29 AM   #108
Don Sharer

Default Photographers Bill of Rights

I should add I would not read to the officer from it, I would simply make sure it was clearly visible if they searched the bag. I think it shows you did some research into an issue they may be unclear on.

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm
Don Sharer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:43 PM   #109
WisconsinCentral

Nick, seems you had the exact same thing that happened to me last year during the RNC in Saint Paul. Its almost scary how similar it is..

I was on my usual perch on this old steel bridge over BNSF's Northtown yard, on an unusually chilly day. Wasn't the best day, pretty cloudy, but nevertheless I was out and about. So heres a 16 year old kid with a bike right beside him sitting on a bridge, taking pictures. I guess someone was just shocked to see such strange activity, and called the Minneapolis PD (Yes, I wasn't even remotely close to the convention, miles away actually). So after shooting a BNSF Green SW1000 on a yard job usually held by an SD40-2, I look over my shoulder to find two cruisers with their lights on. Pulling up to me, blocking one of the lanes on this rather busy bridge, the two officers step out of the car and approach me.

I said something along the lines of "how ya doin", and they responding with "may I ask you what your doing". Just taking pictures of trains I responded. After that they asked me to ID myself, but having my wallet and all of my ID at home, I gave them my name, address, phone number, age, school, parents name, the whole nine yards. They seemed a bit confused why I'd be taking pictures of trains, and asked to see the pictures. Then they had me take off my backpack and search it for anything suspicious.

At this time I was pretty pissed, being made a spectacle for everyone, and I said there aren't anything but lenses in my bag. Giving my backpack back to me, one officer went and ran my information while the other proceeded to take my picture. "Your not Al Quida, are ya?" What the hell do you think? "Well then you have nothing to worry about". That officer left with my lovely portrait and then the other guy got out of his car and talked to me, shaking my hand at the end. Needless to say I went on my way, not exactly thrilled with being searched and treated like a criminal while on a public sidewalk.

A few weeks later another genius calls on me and another officer shows up, this time the road isn't busy and he rolls down the window. "You wouldn't be Alec Holmes would you?" Word has gotten around I see, "Yep, thats me. How ya doing, sir". Telling him I just got back from fishing a few days ago, we got to talking about his fishing schedule and how deer opener was coming up as well. Nice guy, can't really say that about my first encounter though...

Alec
Old 08-28-2009, 01:25 AM   #110
coborn35

So what actually happens if you get put on the Homeland Security list?
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:24 AM   #111
gbrozny

Send a message via ICQ to gbrozny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
Were you standing on a bridge when this occurred? Someone probably thought you were going to commit suicide, if so.

Which in itself is kind of ridiculous. Would someone commit suicide with their SLR around their neck and a scanner in their pocket?

Chase

I was not quite up to the top, but yes I was up on an embankment, though not up where traffic could see me on I-670, and nobody could really see me from 4th st, I figured someone called them while I was running back to my car, trying to beat the train somewhere else to get another shot, until the cop told me that someone called them.. this is what I ended up with

Image © Geoff Brozny
PhotoID: 230317
Photograph © Geoff Brozny

Speaking of suicide, while waiting on an overpass for a train, a Franklin County Sheriff deputy pulled up and says "Your just taking pictures of trains right, and not trying to kill yourself?" After a few friendly words, he was on his way, and I was back to waiting on the train.
gbrozny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:58 PM   #112
khalucha

Quote:
Originally Posted by transit383 View Post
The town of Brielle is a shore town, and for those unfamiliar with shore towns, the police force doubles during the summer months. During the off-season, everything is fairly laid back, but during the summer months, the police are very quick to find reasons to issue citations and violations.
He is probably a seasonal officer, class 1 or what ever they call them, I forget. If I recall, they Police or Railroad police can not make you delete your photos from your camera as long as you are taking pictures from Public property. It is considered personal property (the pictures).

Ever sine 9-11 everyone has become panic stricken. The Government is always feeding the media stuff be on the look out for and you get some over zealous citizen calling in there is some suspicious activity. The next thing you know you are being questioned to what you are doing. The problem is, in my opinion, out of the norm. What exactly is out of the norm? Ask 5 people and you will get 5 different answers. There are a lot of hobbies out there that people think are nuts, rail fanning is 1.

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:27 PM   #113
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
We have a problem with people who talk with a normal accent.

Loyd L.
This from the state that gave us the toothbrush................

Had it been invented anywhere else, it would be called a teethbrush

JK all.............. I love my home state

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
Old 08-30-2009, 10:33 PM   #114
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Douglas Moore View Post
This from the state that gave us the toothbrush................

Had it been invented anywhere else, it would be called a teethbrush

JK all.............. I love my home state
You have angered the moonshine gods..

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:10 PM   #115
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
You have angered the moonshine gods..

Loyd L.
Thats the first time my Uncle Cleatus has been called a God !!

"Thanks for looking"

Old 09-03-2009, 01:21 AM   #116
Bob Pickering

I think this stuff is gonna happen officers are human some will make bad decisions like the rest of us.

Last Sunday I was in St. Augustine waiting for #226 and a St Augustine PD officer rolled up,, I waved at her and told her straight off I was doing some railroad photography and she said...Ohhh OK she saw me parked there and was wondering what I was doing. She drove off no bother.

Now I work for Emergency Management locally and I have to admit this helps with some pull

Overall I have had good contacts with law enforcement, one time in Colorado and others. My only mad experience was Columbia County deputy who did not believe me and I had to get him to call my dispatch. That of course was the day they Fed Building in Ok. City was blown up.

But overall I find the way I conduct myself helps in the interaction...

BP
Bob Pickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:23 AM   #117
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
So what actually happens if you get put on the Homeland Security list?
You won't be. I've been told what DHS does and what they look for and note and trust me railfan photography is not included. When local PD, RR PD, etc. takes your information you are not being added to any DHS "list".

Old 09-03-2009, 04:56 AM   #118
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

So I have a question. A BNSF cop (Friendly, didn't really bother anyone) took down the info (Name, address, etc) of all the photographers at the flathead bridge near Essex before 4449 went by.
...What does this mean for me?
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:07 AM   #119
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
So I have a question. A BNSF cop (Friendly, didn't really bother anyone) took down the info (Name, address, etc) of all the photographers at the flathead bridge near Essex before 4449 went by.
If this is a serious question, probably nothing. I don't know if BNSF or other railroads have an official database of past 'offenders' but I know that specific areas have a "wanted list". I doubt thats the case here. More often than not the information recorded is a precaution just in case something happens to a person, train, structure, etc. they have a list they can contact for information or some other reason.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:36 AM   #120
trainmaster_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
It means your a foamer and there's nothing you can do about it.

CN Conductor

Click here to view my pictures on RP.net
trainmaster_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:12 AM   #121
Joey Bowman

You guys gotta understand, to the general public, photographing trains, chasing trains, or standing near railroad tracks is "weird". It doesnt help when you have a scanner with you or wear overalls, t shirts with trains, or hats with 1000 buttons on it.

Though at the same time I think its just as weird if not more weird to collect stamps, watch golf, or want to kill animals just for fun, but the general public finds those hobbies much more normal and acceptable, than watching a train with several thousand horsepower roll by.

Thats why cops stop and ask what you are doing, thats why people slow down and stare, thats why people ask if something special is happening, or why some people may call the cops, because its not considered "normal". Also, in a lot of areas people commit suicide by jumping in front of trains, just as people commit suicide jumping off of bridges, thats why youre going to be asked from time to time whats up, just to make sure everything is alright. Its life!

Not to sound like an ass, but I get tired of people complaining that their rights were abused because a cop wanted to know what they were doing.
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:16 AM   #122
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainmaster_1 View Post
It means your a foamer and there's nothing you can do about it.
Darn. I guess I'll just have to start shooting backlit shots whenever I can and never take pictures of anything else, except maybe my cat once in a while
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:07 PM   #123
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bowman View Post
You guys gotta understand, to the general public, photographing trains, chasing trains, or standing near railroad tracks is "weird". It doesnt help when you have a scanner with you or wear overalls, t shirts with trains, or hats with 1000 buttons on it.

Though at the same time I think its just as weird if not more weird to collect stamps, watch golf, or want to kill animals just for fun, but the general public finds those hobbies much more normal and acceptable, than watching a train with several thousand horsepower roll by.

Thats why cops stop and ask what you are doing, thats why people slow down and stare, thats why people ask if something special is happening, or why some people may call the cops, because its not considered "normal". Also, in a lot of areas people commit suicide by jumping in front of trains, just as people commit suicide jumping off of bridges, thats why youre going to be asked from time to time whats up, just to make sure everything is alright. Its life!

Not to sound like an ass, but I get tired of people complaining that their rights were abused because a cop wanted to know what they were doing.
This was pointless. No one ever said their rights were abused because a cop approached us. We said our rights were abused when they went beyond what they are suppose to and were discussing it rather than complain about it. If you are tired of it, DON'T READ IT!!! and certainly don't post in a thread about LEOs because, well, that's what it will be about. I think this has been a great discussion of both good and bad encounters from which others can learn how to respond or act when being questioned or if the cop is on a power trip.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #124
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bowman View Post
[b][size="6"] Not to sound like an ass, but I get tired of people complaining that their rights were abused because a cop wanted to know what they were doing.
As far as I can tell, no one has complained about that in this thread. What we're complaing about is the comments or innuendoe that the LEOs think we're doing something wrong or the flat out "suggestions" that we stop doing it altogether.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:17 PM   #125
trainmaster_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2) View Post
This was pointless. No one ever said their rights were abused because a cop approached us. We said our rights were abused when they went beyond what they are suppose to and were discussing it rather than complain about it. If you are tired of it, DON'T READ IT!!! and certainly don't post in a thread about LEOs because, well, that's what it will be about. I think this has been a great discussion of both good and bad encounters from which others can learn how to respond or act when being questioned or if the cop is on a power trip.
Indeed Andrew, there are a few steps that I think a few mentioned in this thread (maybe not who knows ) but if you ever have an encounter with a police officer whether he/she is in a good or bad mood just be friendly, honest and tell them this is what you do as a hobby on your off time, and if your railway employee show them your rules card that way in the future they can associate you as just a train buff or an off duty railway employee just out and about taking photos of trains.

CN Conductor

Click here to view my pictures on RP.net
trainmaster_1 is offline   Reply With Quote