Old 07-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #26
JimThias

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #27
JRMDC

Jim, nice response, but how did you get a post to go on without text, are you using some sort of special character to get around the 10 character minimum?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #28
PLEzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy View Post

Keeping up with the site on a daily basis takes a lot of work, especially on mine and Chris Starnes' part, and at the end of the day, after screening 500+ photos, 250+ comments, appeals, corrections, answering e-mails, and other tasks, a lot of time there's just not much energy left to come into the forum and start reading threads and answering questions, especially considering that we both also work real jobs and have other professional commitments even outside that scope.
We've all read this excuse hundreds of times now, it's a legitimate reason. I don't think anyone will disagree that there are many more important things in your life than maintaining this website. That doesn't mean it needs to be neglected. There are plenty of people in the community that are willing and competent enough to help.

Just sayin'
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:10 PM   #29
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero View Post
There are plenty of people in the community that are willing and competent enough to help.
Oh Yeah, Who'd want to spend a good chunk out of their life screening photos. I'm sure plenty of people would prefer to find better things to do.

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #30
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
Oh Yeah, Who'd want to spend a good chunk out of their life screening photos. I'm sure plenty of people would prefer to find better things to do.
Just look at these very forums and those of us who volunteer time and energy (and sometimes snarkiness) to basically screen photos thaty have already been rejected.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #31
PLEzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post

Chris Z
Oh Yeah, Who'd want to spend a good chunk out of their life sitting trackside. I'm sure plenty of people would prefer to find better things to do.

Oh Yeah, Who'd want to spend a good chunk out of their life writing on an internet railroad photography forum. I'm sure plenty of people would prefer to find better things to do.

Oh Yeah, Who'd want to spend a good chunk out of their life playing video games. I'm sure plenty of people would prefer to find better things to do.

Get my point?

It doesn't necessarily mean screening photos. Chris posted a long list of things he needs assistance with.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #32
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

I thought variety was the spice of life. Come on, there's more to life than that. Isn't there?

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #33
Missabefan

Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy

Keeping up with the site on a daily basis takes a lot of work, especially on mine and Chris Starnes' part, and at the end of the day, after screening 500+ photos, 250+ comments, appeals, corrections, answering e-mails, and other tasks, a lot of time there's just not much energy left to come into the forum and start reading threads and answering questions, especially considering that we both also work real jobs and have other professional commitments even outside that scope.

Most places of business (like RP), when they are busy, growing or expand (much like RP has) tend to hire more people to help out with the customers (contributors) and the workload (screening, answering email, etc.) or the business suffers and they are not around very long.
The last thing a successful business wants are unhappy customers because those customers then go elsewhere for better service etc. and the business, after time, is no longer a good business or even in business.
Sure there are new customers that stop by and some customers come by less frequent or leave forever , but after awhile more leave than come in and the business suffers. Word of mouth kills a business, especially in a small niche business.
How many people in the drop down menu of contributors gave up on this site because of poor customer service etc.?

My hats off to the folks who contribute in the forums. Good , bad or ugly, they are on the forums, contributing their knowledge and experience to help others. And they make for some damn good reading once in awhile!

My .02

Missabefan
Missabefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #34
khalucha

They should make Jim and 2 others the "Forum Moderators."

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #35
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Jim, nice response, but how did you get a post to go on without text, are you using some sort of special character to get around the 10 character minimum?
10 white dots..

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #36
Amtrakdavis22

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalucha View Post
How about just Jim. I think he would keep everyone in line. Sorry Jim but I just announced your candidacy.

Flickr

RailPictures.Net
RailVideos.Net

Youtube Videos
Amtrakdavis22.com

"Love the sound of that shutter!" -Peter Lik
Amtrakdavis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:35 PM   #37
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero View Post
There are plenty of people in the community that are willing and competent enough to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missabefan
Most places of business (like RP), when they are busy, growing or expand (much like RP has) tend to hire more people to help out with the customers (contributors) and the workload (screening, answering email, etc.)
I know that I don't have an RP screening eye and have no interest in that part of the site, but I would be willing to help out in the photog contact, data correction, etc. fields.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:39 PM   #38
stlgevo51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amtrakdavis22 View Post
How about just Jim. I think he would keep everyone in line. Sorry Jim but I just announced your candidacy.
Put Jim in charge with Troy! They would make a great team.
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:30 PM   #39
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlgevo51 View Post
Put Jim in charge with Troy! They would make a great team.
Good evening, my fellow Railpictures photographers:

Tonight I want to speak to you of peace in Nitro, WV and Southwest Pennsylvania.
No other question so preoccupies our people. No other dream so absorbs the 250 human beings who live in that part of the world. No other goal motivates American policy in Southwest Pennsylvania.

For years, representatives of our Government and others have traveled the country--seeking to find a basis for peace talks.
Since last September, they have carried the offer that I made public at Tampa, Florida. That offer was this:
That the railfans of Nitro, WV would stop its nigh photography of lightning and locomotives when that would lead promptly to productive discussions--and that we would assume that the residents of SouthWest Pennsylvania would not take photographic advantage of our restraint.

Certain railfans denounced this offer, both privately and publicly. Even while the search for peace was going on, North Vietnam rushed their preparations for a savage assault on the people, the photographers, and the railfans of Nitro.
Their attack--during the days since the Independence Day holidays--failed to achieve its principal objectives.
It did not collapse the solidarity of railpictures.net or shatter its army--as the Pittsburgers had hoped.
It did not produce a "general uprising" among the people of the forums as they had predicted.
The rogue sect of Southwest Pennsylvanians were unable to maintain control of any of the more than 30 railfans that they attacked. And they took very heavy casualties.

But they did compel a number of photographers and their allies to move certain forces from the countryside into the cities.
They caused widespread disruption and suffering. Their attacks, and the battles that followed, made refugees of half a million raw photographs and jpegs.

The Pittsburgers may renew their attack any day.

They are, it appears, trying to make 2011 the year of decision in Southwest Pennsylvania --the year that brings, if not final victory or defeat, at least a turning point in the struggle.

This much is clear: If they do mount another round of heavy attacks, they will not succeed in destroying the fighting power of Nitro, WV and its allies.

But tragically, this is also clear: Many men--on both sides of the struggle--will be lost. A website and forum that has already suffered 10 years of warfare will suffer once again. Armies on both sides will take new casualties. And the war will go on.

There is no need for this to be so.

There is no need to delay the talks that could bring an end to this long and this bloody war.

Tonight, I renew the offer I made last August--to stop the bombardment of Nitro. We ask that talks begin promptly, that they be serious talks on the substance of peace. We assume that during those talks Southwest Pennsylvania will not take advantage of our restraint.

We are prepared to move immediately toward peace through negotiations.

So, tonight, in the hope that this action will lead to early talks, I am taking the first step to deescalate the conflict. We are reducing--substantially reducing--the present level of hostilities.

And we are doing so unilaterally, and at once.

Tonight, I have ordered our railfans and our photographers to make no attacks on Southwest Pennsylvania, except in the area north of the demilitarized zone where the continuing enemy buildup directly threatens allied forward positions and where the movements of their troops and supplies are clearly related to that threat.

The area in which we are stopping our attacks includes almost 90 percent of Johntown's population, and most of its territory. Thus there will be no attacks around the principal populated areas, or in the food-producing areas of Southwest Pennsylvania.

Even this very limited bombing of Southwest Pennsylvania could come to an early end--if our restraint is matched by restraint in Johnstown. But I cannot in good conscience stop all bombing so long as to do so would immediately and directly endanger the lives of our men and our allies. Whether a complete bombing halt becomes possible in the future will be determined by events.

Our purpose in this action is to bring about a reduction in the level of violence that now exists.

It is to save the lives of brave men--and to save the lives of innocent women and children. It is to permit the contending forces to move closer to a political settlement.

(to be continued)

Last edited by troy12n; 07-24-2011 at 10:47 PM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:31 PM   #40
troy12n
Banned

And tonight, I call upon the railfans of far away places like Chicago and the Tehachapi Loop --as cochairmen of the Geneva Conferences, and as permanent members of the RailPictures.net Security Council--to do all they can to move from the unilateral act of deescalation that I have just announced toward genuine peace in Southwest Pennsylvania.
Now, as in the past, the forum members of Railpictures.net is ready to send its representatives to any place, at any time, to discuss the means of bringing this ugly war to an end.

I am designating one of our most distinguished forum members, Ambassador Ron Flannery, as my personal representative for such talks. In addition, I have asked Ambassador Loyd Lowery, who returned from Hawks Nest for consultation, to be available to join Ambassador Flannery at Geneva or any other suitable place--just as soon as Johnstown agrees to a conference.

I call upon Daniel Valentine to respond positively, and favorably, to this new step toward peace.

But if peace does not come now through negotiations, it will come when Johnstown understands that our common resolve is unshakable, and our common strength is invincible.

I think every member of the Railpictures.net forums can take a great deal of pride in the role that we have played in bringing this about in Southwest Pennsylvania. We can rightly judge--as responsible Southwest Pennsylvanians themselves do--that the progress of the past 3 years would have been far less likely--if not completely impossible--if America's sons and others had not made their stand in the West Slope.

Over time, a wider framework of peace and security in Southwest Pennsylvania may become possible. The new cooperation of the nations of the area could be a foundation-stone. Certainly friendship with the nations of such a Southwest Pennsylvania is what the United States seeks--and that is all that the United States seeks.
One day, my fellow citizens, there will be peace in Southwest Pennsylvania.

It will come because the people of Southwest Pennsylvania want it--those whose armies are at war tonight, and those who, though threatened, have thus far been spared.
Peace will come because people in Nitro and people in Johnstown were willing to work for it--and to sacrifice for it--and to die by the thousands for it.

But let it never be forgotten: Peace will come also because America sent her sons to help secure it.
It has not been easy--far from it. During the past 4 years, it has been my fate and my responsibility to be Commander in Chef. I have lived---daily and nightly--with the cost of this war. I know the pain that it has inflicted. I know, perhaps better than anyone, the misgivings that it has aroused.
Throughout this entire, long period, I have been sustained by a single principle: that what we are doing now, in Southwest Pennsylvania, is vital not only to the security of Nitro, but it is vital to the security of every American.
Surely we have treaties which we must respect. Surely we have commitments that we are going to keep. Resolutions of the Congress testify to the need to resist aggression in the world and in Southwest Pennsylvania.
But the heart of our involvement in the Alleghenies -- under three different presidents, three separate administrations--has always been America's own security.

And the larger purpose of our involvement has always been to help the railfans of Southwest Pennsylvania become independent and stand alone, self-sustaining, as members of a great world community--at peace with themselves, and at peace with all others.

With such peace in Johnstown, our country--and the world--will be far more secure than it is tonight.
I believe that peaceful relations between Nitro and Johnstown is far nearer to reality because of what America has done in Southwest Pennsylvania. I believe that the men who endure the dangers of battle--fighting there for us tonight--are helping the entire world avoid far greater conflicts, far wider wars, far more destruction, than this one.
The peace that will bring them home someday will come. Tonight I have offered the first in what I hope will be a series of mutual moves toward peace.

I pray that it will not be rejected by the leaders of Southwest Pennsylvania. I pray that they will accept it as a means by which the sacrifices of their own people may be ended. And I ask your help and your support, my fellow citizens, for this effort to reach across the battlefield toward an early peace.
Finally, my fellow Americans, let me say this:
Of those to whom much is given, much is asked. I cannot say and no man could say that no more will be asked of us.
Yet, I believe that now, no less than when the decade began, this generation of Americans is willing to "pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."
Since those words were spoken by Chris Kilroy, the people of America have kept that compact with mankind's noblest cause.
And we shall continue to keep it.

Yet, I believe that we must always be mindful of this one thing, whatever the trials and the tests ahead. The ultimate strength of our country and our cause will lie not in powerful weapons or infinite resources or boundless wealth, but will lie in the unity of our people.
This I believe very deeply.

Throughout my entire public career I have followed the personal philosophy that I am a free man, an American, a public servant, and a member of my party, in that order always and only.
For 37 years in the service of our Nation, first as a railfan, as a photographer, and as forum pain in the ass, and now as your Chief forum pain in the ass, I have put the unity of the people first. I have put it ahead of any divisive partisanship.
And in these times as in times before, it is true that a house divided against itself by the spirit of faction, of party, of region, of religion, of race, is a house that cannot stand.
There is division in the railpictures.net forums now. There is divisiveness among us all tonight. And holding the trust that is mine, as CFPITA of all the people, I cannot disregard the peril to the progress of the forum and the hope and the prospect of peace for all peoples.

So, I would ask all members of the railpictures.net forums, whatever their personal interests or concern, to guard against divisiveness and all its ugly consequences.

Fifty-two months and 10 days ago, in a moment of tragedy and trauma, the duties of this office fell upon me. I asked then for your help and God's, that we might continue America on its course, binding up our wounds, healing our history, moving forward in new unity, to clear the American agenda and to keep the American commitment for all of our people.
United we have kept that commitment. United we have enlarged that commitment.
Through all time to come, I think America will be a stronger nation, a more just society, and a land of greater opportunity and fulfillment because of what we have all done together in these years of unparalleled achievement.
Our reward will come in the life of freedom, peace, and hope that our children will enjoy through ages ahead.
What we won when all of our people united just must not now be lost in suspicion, distrust, selfishness, and politics among any of our people.

Believing this as I do, I have concluded that I should not permit the forum to become involved in the partisan divisions that are developing in this political year.
With America's sons in the fields far away, with the railpictures.net forum's future under challenge right here at home, with our hopes and the world's hopes for peace in the balance every day, I do not believe that I should devote an hour or a day of my time to any personal partisan causes or to any duties other than the awesome duties of this office--the Moderator of your forum.

Accordingly, I shall not seek, and I will not accept, the nomination of my party for a term as your forum Moderator.

But let men everywhere know, however, that a strong, a confident, and a vigilant Railpictures stands ready tonight to seek an honorable peace--and stands ready tonight to defend an honored cause--whatever the price, whatever the burden, whatever the sacrifice that duty may require.

Thank you for listening.

Good night and God bless all of you.

-Troy

Last edited by troy12n; 07-24-2011 at 10:48 PM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:51 PM   #41
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I think every member of the Railpictures.net forums can take a great deal of pride in the role that we have played in bringing this about in Southwest Pennsylvania.
I am crying - of course! - but I just want to say, through my tears, that I too feel the pride, and also how truly sad I am that you have made this noble but painful choice.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:28 AM   #42
bigbassloyd

Whatever Troy is running for, he's got my vote!

I haven't laugh so hard in a long time...

I will gladly assist Ron in whatever venture he deems suitable

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:36 AM   #43
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalucha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amtrakdavis22 View Post
Thanks for the thoughts, but if I were a moderator, I'd probably spend (waste) most of my time fixing bad grammar and spelling and never actually get anything done.

There is nothing that irks me more than seeing a typo in a thread title that doesn't get fixed by the mods (not just this forum, but every forum I post on)!

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:48 AM   #44
barnstormer

Send a message via Skype™ to barnstormer

Nice speech Troy!

See my shots on Railpictures
See my shots on RRpicturearchives
barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:03 AM   #45
Freericks
Met Fan

Over five hours and no one has identified the speech Troy was riffing on?

Is that because everyone feels it's common knowledge and not necessary, or is it, as I fear, than no one knows what the speech is?

I'm old enough to remember watching it (back when kids watched TV with their parents.)

Funny stuff, by the way, Troy.

"Did you ever think that making a speech on railfan photography is a lot like pissing down your leg? It seems hot to you, but it never does to anyone else."
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:17 AM   #46
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

I didn't know the same people who did pictures did comments and appeals as well as well as the forum. I can understand now.

Maybe it would be a wise idea to have a volunteer handle the comments? The rules for comments are pretty black and white so there's not much worry about subjectivity, and it would off load some of the work.

Same with a forum moderator or two.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:44 AM   #47
J. E. Landrum
RailPictures.Net Crew

President Lyndon Johnson, March 31, 1968.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Over five hours and no one has identified the speech Troy was riffing on?
J. E. Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:54 AM   #48
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. E. Landrum View Post
President Lyndon Johnson, March 31, 1968.
1968 was a hell of a year.

Last edited by Freericks; 07-25-2011 at 05:59 AM.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:53 AM   #49
Amtrakdavis22

I know I don't have all the info on how these websites work but I would just like to point out the fact that I believe JetPhotos.Net has 40 or so people who can screen photos. Now JetPhotos seems to be more popular than RailPictures but it still seems to work the same. All I'm trying to say is maybe it's time to add a few guys to the staff to take off a little of the load. Now it can be frustrating because the more people you have screening, the lower the consistancy. But I'm sure you could find guys that have been around RailPictures long enough that they would have a pretty good idea if a photo makes it through or not. Someone like... Jim Thias. Another candidacy started.

Flickr

RailPictures.Net
RailVideos.Net

Youtube Videos
Amtrakdavis22.com

"Love the sound of that shutter!" -Peter Lik
Amtrakdavis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:00 AM   #50
jdirelan87

Quote:
That said, we are aware of the perception issue with having a forum but rarely participating, and I am actively working to address it.
Chris, its refreshing to hear you say things like this after YEARS of completely blowing off a number of very good, reasonable suggestions offered up in the forums on how to improve the site.

But then this happens:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEZero
We've all read this excuse hundreds of times now, it's a legitimate reason. I don't think anyone will disagree that there are many more important things in your life than maintaining this website. That doesn't mean it needs to be neglected. There are plenty of people in the community that are willing and competent enough to help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan
I know that I don't have an RP screening eye and have no interest in that part of the site, but I would be willing to help out in the photog contact, data correction, etc. fields.
Plus a few more good, reasonable suggestions by trusted, established forum members and rail photographers. Your response:

Quote:
... absolutely nothing; the standard response for as long as I've been on the forums. Look, if you don't want to let anybody else in on your party, thats cool, but let us know. If you think we are all retards who would drag down your creation if we had some kind of control, cool, but let us know... you certainly have rifled off a couple of forum post over the years that would lead us to believe it. At least say something, we are all grown ups here.

You say you are aware of a 'perceived' problem about lack of forum activity. At what point does perception become reality?
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote