Old 03-05-2019, 10:31 PM   #1
RobJor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 753
Default Apparently not as neat as I thought it was

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...74&key=7149318

When I take the red out I places I am just left with a haze that is probably picking up the red. Anyway probably not going to fly anyway but thought I'd throw it out there. One person's creative is another's fail.

Bob

Maybe try this in the future but same problem?? Attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JordanFlagstaff.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	655.7 KB
ID:	9708  

Last edited by RobJor; 03-05-2019 at 10:44 PM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:28 AM   #2
miningcamper1
Senior Member
 
miningcamper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,221
Default

Ouch! Are they putting brighter lamps in crossing flashers? Short of magic, I don't see any hope for the dry street shot.

The wet street shot is intriguing, though. I'd like to see the engine cab a bit brighter.
__________________
flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11947249@N03/

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:56 PM   #3
RobJor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Ouch! Are they putting brighter lamps in crossing flashers? Short of magic, I don't see any hope for the dry street shot.

The wet street shot is intriguing, though. I'd like to see the engine cab a bit brighter.
Same result for wet street version, may just not approve of photo.
I do pay attention to night photos here and many either are too dark or have a strong cast. These are four way gates no whistle zone so you are going to have a lot of red. If that gate on the left side were not there the "color cast" would be a lot less. Anyway, not upset but still feel it is a small thinking rejection.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:20 PM   #4
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,734
Default

Both photos suffer from poor contrast, poor subject prominence, poor overall scene, and color issues. My first impression on both photos was more of a cringe, than curiousity. Hopefully you know I'm not attempting to berate you but my honesty only comes in one flavor.. blunt.

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 03-06-2019 at 09:23 PM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:59 PM   #5
RobJor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Both photos suffer from poor contrast, poor subject prominence, poor overall scene, and color issues. My first impression on both photos was more of a cringe, than curiousity. Hopefully you know I'm not attempting to berate you but my honesty only comes in one flavor.. blunt.

Loyd L.
Wouldn't expect anything else. I once mentioned to someone else to just listen to advice and not get into a snit back and forth. Suspect there will be more agreement with you for those still looking here.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:23 AM   #6
miningcamper1
Senior Member
 
miningcamper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,221
Default

I don't remember who said it, but it was something like "If perfection is the standard, there would not be over 600,000 photos here!"
__________________
flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11947249@N03/

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:56 PM   #7
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
I don't remember who said it, but it was something like "If perfection is the standard, there would not be over 600,000 photos here!"
Doesn't have to be perfect, but a photo should be technically sound before aesthetics can be debated.

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:26 PM   #8
Grewup on the CW
Senior Member
 
Grewup on the CW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 234
Default

Bob,
Welp I'm not one to give up on something I personally think is worthy of preserving and since you have visited this location twice already, I take it that your trying to include the view down the street in your shot? If so the dry shot angle is much more appealing. If you tagged the location in the rejected shot. I am unable to see it to be able to go street view and see what you have to work with. Not knowing what is to the left, I think my next visit would be focused on that angle and maybe the glaring crossing lights would not be so predominate and allow you a better exposure on both the train and the background view. Just my 2 cents......
Thanks for posting something to dissect, the forums have been dead too long

Last edited by Grewup on the CW; 03-07-2019 at 09:48 PM.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:39 PM   #9
RobJor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
Bob,
Welp I'm not one to give up on something I personally think is worthy of preserving and since you have visited this location twice already, I take it that your trying to include the view down the street in your shot? If so the dry shot angle is much more appealing. If you tagged the location in the rejected shot. I am unable to see it to be able to go street view and see what you have to work with. Not knowing what is to the left, I think my next visit would be focused on that angle and maybe the glaring crossing lights would not be so predominate and allow you a better exposure on both the train and the background view. Just my 2 cents......
Thanks for posting something to dissect, the forums have been dead too long
You wouldn't believe how many images I have, not sure how much another would change the result. The transcon was popping. There was auto traffic to contend with, time spent waiting for traffic from the bars die down. I shot WB's, EB's, 35mm, 58mm, closer up farther away. Then there was shooting fast enough to keep the motion blur down, maybe a motion blur would work but generally not what I do.
This is not just Oh, this looks nice and take a shot.

Yes want to get the street and hotel, otherwise it is just a crossing.
Again, not going to argue the critique I simply don't think that if this was in, viewers would crowd the forum complaining or a stain on the site ,red or....... Smile.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:11 PM   #10
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
You wouldn't believe how many images I have, not sure how much another would change the result. The transcon was popping. There was auto traffic to contend with, time spent waiting for traffic from the bars die down. I shot WB's, EB's, 35mm, 58mm, closer up farther away. Then there was shooting fast enough to keep the motion blur down, maybe a motion blur would work but generally not what I do.
This is not just Oh, this looks nice and take a shot.

Yes want to get the street and hotel, otherwise it is just a crossing.
Again, not going to argue the critique I simply don't think that if this was in, viewers would crowd the forum complaining or a stain on the site ,red or....... Smile.

Bob
If I were standing there beside you, as we were in Western Springs on a cold January night, I would probably do a dual exposure from the tripod. I would capture the scene, and then capture the gates / lights / train using a different exposure combination. I would then layer-blend those two in photoshop (your Nikon may be able to do that in-camera?). It's a scene that appears to need two different approaches to capture fully.

Is there an Oberweis close by there? I could really go for a smoothie now.

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 03-08-2019 at 02:16 PM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:05 PM   #11
RobJor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 753
Default

I did a quick try with double processing but the blending was difficult and I will never change the illumination of the engine, if there were no gates on one side???.
I can work on it just for learning I guess.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:35 PM   #12
miningcamper1
Senior Member
 
miningcamper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
If I were standing there beside you, as we were in Western Springs on a cold January night, I would probably do a dual exposure from the tripod. I would capture the scene, and then capture the gates / lights / train using a different exposure combination. I would then layer-blend those two in photoshop (your Nikon may be able to do that in-camera?). It's a scene that appears to need two different approaches to capture fully.
But how would all of that solve the problem? An exposure sufficient to capture the train is also capturing all of that red flare from the crossing flashers.
__________________
flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11947249@N03/

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:57 PM   #13
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
But how would all of that solve the problem? An exposure sufficient to capture the train is also capturing all of that red flare from the crossing flashers.
From my experiences in the dark, wide open aperture with a predominately red (or green) light source facing the sensor is not a great idea. I would bet Bob is using one of his prime lenses with a wfo aperture, cause that's how Bob rolls.

I'd shoot the background with whatever settings, and shoot the crossing and train stopped down significantly, with iso cranked to yield a similar exposure level (id go darker for more of a silhouette but ymmv) . Angle of attack also factors into the equation as well, so I would get a little more off-axis of the crossing lights too. With two separate images you can also do a bit more in photoshop to curtail unwanted red if necessary.



Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 03-08-2019 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Poop
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:31 PM   #14
RobJor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
From my experiences in the dark, wide open aperture with a predominately red (or green) light source facing the sensor is not a great idea. I would bet Bob is using one of his prime lenses with a wfo aperture, cause that's how Bob rolls.

I'd shoot the background with whatever settings, and shoot the crossing and train stopped down significantly, with iso cranked to yield a similar exposure level (id go darker for more of a silhouette but ymmv) . Angle of attack also factors into the equation as well, so I would get a little more off-axis of the crossing lights too. With two separate images you can also do a bit more in photoshop to curtail unwanted red if necessary.



Loyd L.
Or I could just buy a drone and go South for a couple weeks. Seriously I see the head on thing, some I took closer perhaps at a little off angle have less light effect but I wanted to bring the town in a little closer.
Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 03-08-2019 at 08:38 PM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:48 PM   #15
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Or I could just buy a drone and go South for a couple weeks.
Skies look awful crowded around Memphis. But if you stayed under 1000 feet you'd never see em.. LOL

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:46 PM   #16
KevinM
Senior Member
 
KevinM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I would then layer-blend those two in photoshop (your Nikon may be able to do that in-camera?). It's a scene that appears to need two different approaches to capture fully.

Loyd L.
The newer Nikons do have an HDR shooting mode, but the (serious) downside to it is that you end up with a JPEG, not a raw image. It has its place, mainly for static shots where the required dynamic range is not ridiculously wide, but I have not found it all that useful. Before you can even activate that mode, you have to change the camera's capture mode to one of the JPEG settings, and I am always afraid I will forget to put it back on raw.

Shooting a scene like the one in Bob's photo and getting a real keeper could take multiple trips to the site and a lot of experimentation. I have a friend in CT who shoots at night a lot.....he's hard core and he does post images on RP. Even an experienced shooter like him fully admits that there are a lot of nights when he comes home with little to show for his efforts....but with every session, you do learn, even if it is what NOT to do.
__________________
/Kevin

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:15 PM   #17
miningcamper1
Senior Member
 
miningcamper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Shooting a scene like the one in Bob's photo and getting a real keeper could take multiple trips to the site and a lot of experimentation. I have a friend in CT who shoots at night a lot.....he's hard core and he does post images on RP. Even an experienced shooter like him fully admits that there are a lot of nights when he comes home with little to show for his efforts....but with every session, you do learn, even if it is what NOT to do.
Obviously a real keeper:

Image © Robert Jordan
PhotoID: 681756
Photograph © Robert Jordan
__________________
flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11947249@N03/

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:42 AM   #18
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
The newer Nikons do have an HDR shooting mode, but the (serious) downside to it is that you end up with a JPEG, not a raw image. It has its place, mainly for static shots where the required dynamic range is not ridiculously wide, but I have not found it all that useful. Before you can even activate that mode, you have to change the camera's capture mode to one of the JPEG settings, and I am always afraid I will forget to put it back on raw.
I knew some of the newer ones had the ability, just didn't know the particulars. I'm not really a Nikon kinda guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I have a friend in CT who shoots at night a lot.....he's hard core and he does post images on RP. Even an experienced shooter like him fully admits that there are a lot of nights when he comes home with little to show for his efforts....but with every session, you do learn, even if it is what NOT to do.
It's a puzzle with every shot that requires skill, knowledge, and some luck to bat a decent average in the dark. Years ago I focused solely on the railroad stuff, but nighttime landscapes and astrophotography have most of my attention now. It does sucks to drive 3 hours for a potential shot only to come back empty handed, but it's a feeling any serious night shooter knows well.

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 03-09-2019 at 01:45 AM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:49 AM   #19
Decapod401
Senior Member
 
Decapod401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post

Is there an Oberweis close by there? I could really go for a smoothie now.

Loyd L.
I went by that location on Tuesday after work. It was much colder - didn't even think about Oberweis!
__________________
Doug Lilly

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:57 AM   #20
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
I went by that location on Tuesday after work. It was much colder - didn't even think about Oberweis!
I want another crack at the racetrack with snow!

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:45 AM   #21
Decapod401
Senior Member
 
Decapod401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I want another crack at the racetrack with snow!

Loyd L.
So do I - my timing with trips there have not coincided with any significant snow, just weather that was too cold and bitter to be out of the car for more than ten minutes. I did stay home the week of the Polar Vortex.
__________________
Doug Lilly

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:51 AM   #22
RobJor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 753
Default

If interested here is a clutter foreground.

followup to todays photo, a with a little 4 photo story

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...55&key=4694270

and one of the other two that would have come after, just not going to try to figure out????

Bob

I am off in a couple to try a few shots for Railroad Illustrated, still runs DINA, only do because of the editor, really great person.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Railpics-14.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	780.8 KB
ID:	9711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Railpics-16.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	459.6 KB
ID:	9712  

Last edited by RobJor; 03-09-2019 at 02:54 AM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.