Old 02-12-2017, 06:03 AM   #1
abr

Default Acela in the Snow - Backlit (side)

Before submitting this shot, I knew I might end up with a backlit (side) rejection, but I took the chance after seeing that there were other backlit Acela shots (nose or side) in the database. I'm not necessarily expecting this to be a case where further editing would make it RP-worthy, but I wanted to get perspectives the rejection and see if there was more to it than just the backlit side specifically.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...45&key=8818840

By way of background, this was shot approximately 20 minutes after sunrise. This is one of several shots in sequence, but this one had the best lighting of that group of images. With the curvature at Metropark, while the lighting would have been better from the other platform, the catenary poles might have cluttered the passing train. Even so, this was actually a picture I took during my morning commute, so shooting from the other platform or waiting longer for better lighting and using a higher f/stop would not have been a viable option in this particular case.

If more than the backlit side is at play, I'm thinking the surrounding scenery and/or the somewhat low depth of field were too much for the screener to overlook the backlighting. Any other thoughts?
abr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:40 AM   #2
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Highlights too bright and only the nose of the train is close to being in focus. Attached is a quick and dirty attempt to darken the highlights a bit using the shadow/highlight tool plus a tighter crop to minimize all the stuff that is out of focus. However over all the image quality doesn't look really good and not sure if you can fix that or not. Try to get the nose as sharp as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8795.1486867542.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	885.4 KB
ID:	9362  

Last edited by John West; 02-12-2017 at 06:43 AM.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:47 AM   #3
miningcamper1

Not enough light on the side? Ridiculous claim.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:52 AM   #4
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
Highlights too bright and only the nose of the train is close to being in focus. Attached is a quick and dirty attempt to darken the highlights a bit using the shadow/highlight tool plus a tighter crop to minimize all the stuff that is out of focus. However over all the image quality doesn't look really good and not sure if you can fix that or not. Try to get the nose as sharp as possible.
Sorry, John, but I got a case of claustrophobia when I opened that edit.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:05 PM   #5
RobJor

I also was surprised when I got the side light rejection on what I thought a nice photo.

On yours what I see is: too much of blue cast in the snow for daylight, as noted too bright, and looks like trying too hard to hide the shadows gives it an unnatural look but that is too common to RP's. Very early light is great and what most photographers look for so don't try to hide it? I think you want the nose jumping out of the shadows and if they don't like it?? My edit looked like John's without the crop and a little warmer.

Bob
RobJor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #6
abr

Thanks for the advice. I have room to shift the crop. Would shifting it like so work better or does it center it/make the composition awkward given the tilt of the trainset? Do I need to go further in adjusting the highlights, shadows and/or tint?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1016-103.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	688.8 KB
ID:	9365  
Old 02-12-2017, 01:40 PM   #7
RobJor

I like that, got rid of the background distraction, pleasant foreground and room for a fast moving train.
bob
Old 02-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #8
JRMDC

It may not get on because of RP's preference for side light, but that's a much better version, nicely done.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #9
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Sorry, John, but I got a case of claustrophobia when I opened that edit.
OK so I spent some time on a submarine once. My version WAS a bit tight, I was trying to crop out as much of the soft background as possible. I would still prefer it to be a bit tighter than abr's last version, but that is just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
It may not get on because of RP's preference for side light, but that's a much better version, nicely done.
I hope RP sees that side light works here. I think it provides some contrast needed to make the image work (can I say drama?). My bigger concern is the lack of overall sharpness, which presumably is related to a shallow depth of field, although that seems to be much improved in the last version. I agree it is a very nice image.

Last edited by John West; 02-12-2017 at 05:16 PM.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #10
SAR Connecta

....and between you all you have a winner, well done!
SAR Connecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:36 PM   #11
abr

It worked, and I appreciate everyone's advice, particularly John's quick and dirty upload as a comparison point and Bob's observation on the tone of the snow. Even if it hadn't gotten on to RP, it made for a much better final product.

Image © Adam Reich
PhotoID: 606442
Photograph © Adam Reich

I was really hoping to get a good shot of the Acela kicking up snow the day after the storm, since I couldn't venture out during it. I even made a point of bringing my SLR with me on my morning commute instead of my mirrorless, just so I'd have a better lens and a little more flexibility shooting. Glad it paid off!

Thanks again!
Old 02-12-2017, 05:43 PM   #12
RobJor

Another top-24. got a lot going for it.

bob
Old 02-13-2017, 06:07 PM   #13
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Another top-24. got a lot going for it.

bob
The power of facebook!

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:56 PM   #14
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
The power of facebook!

Loyd L.
Quote:
Views: 665
Looks like he needs more friends.

(just kidding, Adam. )

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:54 PM   #15
abr

Clearly everyone was busy looking at this one added shortly before, which made it as high as #3 in the 24 hours after it was added :

Image © Adam Reich
PhotoID: 606408
Photograph © Adam Reich

That makes two in less than a week that have been among the top four in a 24-hour period...as opposed to zero before that, so I'm not complaining. I'm hoping those are the first of many to come and that I can pay it forward by helping others out here as I become more seasoned with RP.

In any case, views are nice, but what matters above all else is that I'm happy with the photo itself. I wanted to catch this particular Acela run kicking up snow at this curve in the early morning light. With the right timing, approach, advice, and adjustments, I ended up with an image that ranks among my all-time favorites. Once again, thanks to all who helped.