Old 02-16-2017, 05:05 AM   #1
bigiron

Default A case of photoshop trickery?

I was doing a search and noticed a couple of photos with one looking natural

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

and another by the same poster which looks like the sky was masked in the photo using a sky scene from another photo (as the clouds are different than the first photo) as the whole sky and surroundings look off....the edge of the tree branches mixing into the sky in the first "natural" one are normal color and the second one they are the color of the sky (background).

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Maybe I'm wrong but it also looks like the headlights are funky too. The tree edges along the sky are just distorted and I wonder what others think. Am I off base in thinking this is another case of a picture being "manufactured" to make the cut? I see too many better photos discussed here that get the ax to see questionable shots at best on the site, IMO.

Constantly perplexed, Rich

Last edited by bigiron; 02-16-2017 at 05:11 AM.
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
RobJor

Stick my neck out here?

The exif shows 3 minutes apart, same day which would be consistent with the same sky and the uphill train clearing before the light helper downhill. On the uphill you have exhaust distortion and photograph wise he is struggling shooting head on with headlights so there may have been some extra p/s work controlling both the headlights and keeping the shadows: going away helper does not have bright headlights or exhaust distortion.. The helper is shot at almost double the focal length so the relative size of the background makes sense???

Given the low light, I would say good technical work and view wise underappreciated photo, type of photo I like.

Bob Jordan

Last edited by RobJor; 02-16-2017 at 11:20 AM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:09 PM   #3
wheelnrail

Hi Rich!

To answer your question, no, I did not use photoshop nor masked the layers. I don't use photoshop in that way. I use it only to remove power lines and some branches that obscure parts of the train or are distracting. What you see is adjustments made in Lightroom.

As for the photos in question, Bob hit it right on the head. That evening the sky was that bright (I have 3 people that can vouch for me on that) and it was simply trying to balance the brights with the darks. It was not easy, but this was the result for the first photo. In hindsight it couldve been worked more maticulously and I should've used a higher ISO or lower shutter speed but it is what is is.

The second one I agree was more "natural". The light levels were much more manageable. If you take a look at the exif, both show different times, different focal lengths and different settings. Believe it or not light can change that much 3 minutes.

Tl;dr, no photoshop, just adjustments in Lightroom that I need to get better on.

Thanks for taking the time to look through my photos!

For ok videos click here
Or for my Flickr click here
Or if you prefer Railpixs, click here
wheelnrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
bigiron

Carlos, I stand corrected but I still feel the screeners could have rejected it for some issues. But my opinion doesn't count lol. Yes I know the sky can change quickly as you have seconds to catch the sweet spot on the light many times.
I do like the natural shot and just thought the sky/tree edge looked way off on the other shot no matter what the light was and commented on it and glad you chimed in. Hopefully no hard feelings.

Rich
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:11 AM   #5
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiron View Post
Hopefully no hard feelings.
That inflammatory "trickery" headline ought to be worth a hard feeling or two.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 02-17-2017 at 01:15 AM. Reason: revision
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:11 AM   #6
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
That inflammatory "trickery" headline ought to be worth a hard feeling or two.
Also the " but I still feel the screeners could have rejected it for some issues"
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:35 PM   #7
JRMDC

It would be interesting to hear from the Carlos just what were the differences in how he processed the two shots. One is a beauty - comment left! - while the other just looks off in many ways. Looks like a good learning opportunity.

Processing is not my strength, I don't often shoot this sort of light (to my regret) and I have no idea what has happened here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:03 PM   #8
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
That inflammatory "trickery" headline ought to be worth a hard feeling or two. (eyeroll removed due to a stupid 4 images limit)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Also the " but I still feel the screeners could have rejected it for some issues"

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:04 PM   #9
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Processing is not my strength, I don't often shoot this sort of light (to my regret) and I have no idea what has happened here.
Time happened.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:14 PM   #10
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Time happened.
What he said.

I've attached two examples to prove the point. No editing done, just the raw file resized and saved as a jpeg. the time from photo 1 to photo 2 was 9 minutes.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0710.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	370.8 KB
ID:	9378   Click image for larger version

Name:	0719.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	332.1 KB
ID:	9379  

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:12 AM   #11
troy12n
Banned

I don't think he's cloned in a sky, it would be VERY difficult to do in a scene like that under those conditions.

I think it looks "off" because the exhaust heat distortion is obscuring the clouds and they look weird. You can see the obvious focus is on lead locomotive, not the backgroud. I didn't look at the exif, but his iris might be more open in this shot than the first, to get more light.

In first shot, the background is more in focus, I think it's a function of all those things working together.

Loyd is right too, at that time of day, the difference in sky and cloud effects can be DRASTIC minute to minute.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote