Old 12-20-2012, 03:48 AM   #1
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default Trying to Get Every Rejection Reason Possible

Too bad there isn't a "Submitted in the Evening" reason, right?

Bad cropping - but I know from experience RP and many others like tighter crops than I do... so I accept it.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...68&key=5618727

Tighter crop rejected for soft - you know, I don't see this one, but I'm old and maybe the eyes aren't so good.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...69&key=9970691

Sharpened version is rejected for noise. Well, for a 40D it does look grainy. Guess that happens when you sharpen a lot. In all honesty, based on a second look, this is a very legitimate reason for rejecting this try. My bad.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...71&key=9096242

Go back and start again - and I get bad composition? Okay, now we all know someone is angry that I keep trying. Probably can't do anything about that one. Had it come first I wouldn't have annoyed them and they wouldn't have - well, I'm too old to get annoyed at anything.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...78&key=8380397

Thoughts? Tear me apart, fellas. Tell me I'm an idiot. You'll probably be 100% right.

Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:13 AM   #2
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Gaussian blur the sky on the "noisy" one and you are fine in my book, subject to getting the right screener. I've lost my perception of the fine centering issues involved in RP comp/balance rejections.

I'd push the foliage a bit more green, less magenta, but I don't know the area.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:13 AM   #3
CSX1702
Senior Member
 
CSX1702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,268
Default

Someone's got it in for ya tonight. I don't see a thing wrong with it. I was gonna say take some off of the left side for the first reject but after that, wow.
__________________
Derek

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:56 AM   #4
trainboysd40
Senior Member
 
trainboysd40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta on the CP Laggan Subdivision
Posts: 2,048
Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40
Default

It strikes me as dark and slightly undersaturated. Push the 'candyland' slider to maybe 5 and it should still be tasteful. Plus what was said above.
__________________
got a D5 IIi and now he doesnt afread fo 12800 iSO
Youtube (Model Railway, Vlogs, Tutorials, and prototype)
My Website
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:08 AM   #5
Michael Link
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 35
Default

See that's what really gets me with RP screeners. I agree the tighter picture is a improvement. However then the same exact picture (which keep in mind was rejected for just cropping before) is then too soft. How does that work? But other then that great photo. Mike
Michael Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
oltmannd
Senior Member
 
oltmannd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Too bad there isn't a "Submitted in the Evening" reason, right?

Bad cropping - but I know from experience RP and many others like tighter crops than I do... so I accept it.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...68&key=5618727

Tighter crop rejected for soft - you know, I don't see this one, but I'm old and maybe the eyes aren't so good.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...69&key=9970691

Sharpened version is rejected for noise. Well, for a 40D it does look grainy. Guess that happens when you sharpen a lot. In all honesty, based on a second look, this is a very legitimate reason for rejecting this try. My bad.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...71&key=9096242

Go back and start again - and I get bad composition? Okay, now we all know someone is angry that I keep trying. Probably can't do anything about that one. Had it come first I wouldn't have annoyed them and they wouldn't have - well, I'm too old to get annoyed at anything.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...78&key=8380397

Thoughts? Tear me apart, fellas. Tell me I'm an idiot. You'll probably be 100% right.

In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with the first one...but I'm not them. They really need the "thanks, but no thanks." rejection reason. Would save a lot of time and trouble on both ends.
oltmannd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:42 AM   #7
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

Tried a different frame. Took multiple hits.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...37&key=3111978
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:16 AM   #8
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Those backlit rails are now distracting black thick stripes. The last thing you want to do is to emphasize them more by having the bottom and left as extended as they are.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:19 AM   #9
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,641
Default

Most look "RP" centered vertically.

Wait a week, until the noise rejection is no longer fashionable to use and recrop with better adherence to the rule of RP thirds.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

I think you're right, Mitch - although what's in the frame are those backlit rails and going more rule of thirds may highlight those more.

We will see... thank you Mitch and everyone else for the advice.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:32 AM   #11
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

That trailing unit...that's the big patch job I've ever seen!
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
jac_murphy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
That trailing unit...that's the big patch job I've ever seen!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/6564325...57627505709064



-Jacques
jac_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #13
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Talking They are screwing with you.

Your really on the wrong side of the tracks, and that is the source of consternation for the screener.

Why they can't reject it for shadows or backlighting is beyond me.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 12-25-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #14
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Your really on the wrong side of the tracks, and that is the course of consternation for the screener.

Why they can't reject it for shadows or backlighting is beyond me.
For RP maybe - however a dramatic shadow on a curve with the majority of the train lit is a fairly classic shot in publication (not suggesting this shot is publication worthy, just saying the wrong side of the tracks issue is a matter of taste).
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #15
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb I'm all about the dramatic shadow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
For RP maybe - however a dramatic shadow on a curve with the majority of the train lit is a fairly classic shot in publication (not suggesting this shot is publication worthy, just saying the wrong side of the tracks issue is a matter of taste).
Bottom line, they can't wrap their collective brains around the concept.

Case in point:

My version - Remember the Santa Fe

The accepted version -
Image © EL ROCO Photography
PhotoID: 396705
Photograph © EL ROCO Photography
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #16
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

It's you and me against the world, HG.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #17
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb Go figure?

Hey look, Ken got this one in (same train).

Image © Ken Szok
PhotoID: 394356
Photograph © Ken Szok
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:25 AM   #18
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

That's because he's a better photographer.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.