Old 03-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Default Article in Chicago Tribune about Rail Fans

Big article on the front of the Entertainment section.

Oddly the picture on the web is not level, while the print version IS level. The picture was taken by a Tribune photog per the print version.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,1664748.story
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
JimThias

Quote:
In general, rail fans divide themselves into two groups: There are the trackside folks such as Wolff who keep logs of what they see. Wolff likens his group to birders who track species or sports fans who track players' averages. Some take photos, while others are content with their visual memories.

"Then there are the 'mileage collectors,' who take as many excursions as they can each year," said Steve Barry, managing editor of Railfan & Railroad Magazine.
What about people like me who don't fall into either of those groups? I don't do excursions, and I don't keep logs or care about the technical aspects of railroading. Just give me a clean locomotive in an interesting scene to photograph and I'm happy.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
Joe the Photog

Well, I appreciate the article, but Jim brings up a good point. In the article, it quots Steve Barry as saying there are 250,000 railfans in America. Yet this reporter thinks all 250,000 of them can be grouped into two groups. Only two groups? I'd also suggest that if anyone here is ever interviewed by a reporter on railfanning, do not refer to yourself as a foamer! It's not self-depreciating. It's a put down. There's a difference. Look it up.

I did find the quote from the FRA interesting, that we should stick to bridges and overlooks. Because more times than not, that's where I'm at when approached by an LEO or railroad employee.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
What about people like me who don't fall into either of those groups? I don't do excursions, and I don't keep logs or care about the technical aspects of railroading. Just give me a clean locomotive in an interesting scene to photograph and I'm happy.
I think that many of the contributors here don't fit either of those categories, Jim. I'm definitely not in the "foamer" category either. I'm not really into train rides, I don't hang out at grade crossings, I don't own a scanner and I couldn't care less about any locomotive that doesn't have a fire in it.

My primary interest is in photography of steam engines, but I also have an interest in both in the technology and the history. I'll spend a bundle to travel someplace to observe and shoot an interesting steam operation, but I won't spend a few hundred dollars to actually take the throttle for an hour. Go figure!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
Freericks
Met Fan

I railfan to impress the ladies.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
Joe the Photog

I don't own a scanner either. And this I cussed and fussed about yesterday when realizing I just missed one train I've been trying to shoot in good light since I moved to Columbia. It was probably easier to be a railfan 20 or 30 years ago when there were more railroads around. You could shoot paint schemes galore if you were into that. But then a lot of railroads had different models. Today, they have one basic model that is being released. (Yes, one basic model, the EMD GEVO SD70MACe-2.3.)

I think about Columbia back then. There were four railroads -- the Columbia, Newberry & Laurens, the Southern, Atlantic Coast Line and Seaboard. Each had at least one yard. Southern had all high hoods and ran mostly long hood forward. The others would have had a plethora of models. There were branch lines into forgotten areas and not to mention the mile long Lincoln Street Viaduct through downtown...

But I digress. This was supposed to be about how that article got it wrong, not I wish I was born 20 years earlier.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
Holloran Grade
Banned

Exclamation Yeh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freericks View Post
i railfan to impress the ladies.
Laughing My F AO !!!!!
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote