Old 12-15-2004, 11:03 PM   #1
Geoff Hoad

Default Learning From Rejections

As someone who is very new to RailPictures I submitted two examples of my efforts. Both were rejected. That's OK. I greatly apprecaited the fact that someone contributed their time and energy to evaluate my images in the first place. So, to whoever made the effort, a sincere THANK YOU.

After receiving the rejection notice I understood how one photo didn't make the grade. The other answer peplexed me. Like everyone here, I want to improve my photographic technique. Unfortunately, the information provided didn't help me.

This has probably been canvassed before, but is it possible to have at least one sentence making at least one constructive suggestion. I feel obligated in a way to go out and do better, but find it hard when I don't know what I am supposed to do. This is not a complaint or even a whinge, but I don't want the person who took the time to have assessed my photos have that time wasted. Nor do I want to submit the same mistakes again and have them waste their time rejecting the same old stuff again. I want to make new mistakes. I want to learn.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:17 PM   #2
Chris Starnes
Administrator

Geoff,

Did you file an appeal? If not do that or post a link here for others to see. If a crew member is unable to respond we have quite a few very skilled forum members who would likely be more than glad to give you suggestions.

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2004, 11:31 PM   #3
Geoff Hoad

Chris. Thanks for your reply. No, I didn't submit an appeal. It seemed to me that an appeal would elicit the same reply. But if it will encourage a better response, I will give it a go.

Here are my failures.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=74408
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=74410

I am aware of the cropping issue in the first but would love more explanation or help on the second.

Many thanks,
Old 12-15-2004, 11:48 PM   #4
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Default Bad Motive??

Usually photos of just rail cars get rejected for bad motive. This is because it is not power and there is no unique lighting in the photo. In a nutshell its just cars. Hope this helped.
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 05:24 PM   #5
chris crook

Default Re: Bad Motive??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Usually photos of just rail cars get rejected for bad motive. This is because it is not power and there is no unique lighting in the photo. In a nutshell its just cars. Hope this helped.
Because Lord knows you can't get a good train picture unless it is at a 35% angle from a grade crossing and the power is in the picture.

Bad motive is a load of crap. Why not "this is not the style of photo we are looking for" instead of some nonsensical confusing, dare I say lazy, response like that. How about explaining it, instead of just saying any picture not accepted is not a good picture. that is the biggest disservice to railroad photography you could imagin. Pigeon holing the art, and not allowing for anything but what fits this place's criteria.

Flickr: Armco_block
chris crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 12:10 AM   #6
Ween

Quote:
Pigeon holing the art, and not allowing for anything but what fits this place's criteria.
And there's your answer. It's their's; they can do as they please...
Old 12-18-2004, 12:49 AM   #7
matnic17

Geoff,

I like that second picture a lot, but as mentioned, it doesn't fit the criteria of this site. Here is a favorite photo of mine that I have never submitted to this site. It's a sure rejection because it doesn't fit. That doesn't stop me from liking it and I hope others will enjoy. Your shot is great, there are other places that will accept a shot like this. Keep up the good work.

I have had two shots accepted on RP.net
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=85219
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=86339

Matt
matnic17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 04:03 AM   #8
chris crook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
And there's your answer. It's their's; they can do as they please...
Very true. It is a fine site.

But the implication that if it isn't accepted here that it is not a good picture is just wrong. There are plenty that are declined, and they just plain suck, but that whole bad motive is crap, as mentioned. Bad motive sounds like bad picture. This picture is not the type of photograph we are looking for at least aknowledges that there are other methods, does it not? Not accepting a picture because it is a bad picture, or poorly exposed, or out of focus, or taken with a 25 year old disk camera is one thing, not accepting a picture that takes a step away from the norm is another.

Asit is viewed as being the 'premier' train picture site on the web, maybe it should include some alternative views?

Old 12-18-2004, 04:32 AM   #9
Lord Vader

Don't feel bad guys. I'm a screener and sometimes get rejected. As a rule, screeners don't screen themselves. In fact, today I was rejected for this one http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=75052

So the rules apply to everyone here. Nobody gets preferential treatment.
Lord Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 04:34 AM   #10
Ween

Quote:
Asit is viewed as being the 'premier' train picture site on the web, maybe it should include some alternative views?
That would undermine this site's greatest strenght: consistency. I realize some may not agree that consistency is not a strength based on the arguement of how could this shot be accepted but that similar shot is rejected? That's not the point. The point is this: with this site, the viewer knows what he is getting: clear, bright, sunny, well-composed shots of locomotive power. Sure, there are some shots that don't have power or were taken under overcast skies or any number of other "exceptions," but this site's consistency is that it is the premier site for locomotive power photos.

Other site's are mired in 'artistic' or cloudy or poorly composed shots that you have to wade through to get to a shot that would be acceptable onthis site. Personally, I like this format better. I know there are those out there that like to look at rolling stock and there are plenty of sites out there that offer that, but that's not what this site has been about. It's successful as it stands. Why would the owner's change it now? It would be like AC/DC adding a piano player to their line-up at this point in their career: it just wouldn't make sense...
Old 12-18-2004, 05:57 AM   #11
Chessie4033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Why would the owner's change it now? It would be like AC/DC adding a piano player to their line-up at this point in their career: it just wouldn't make sense...
Metallica and Kiss played with symphonies and made it sound good. I'm sure as great a band as AC/DC is they could pull off adding a piano (they had bagpipes in It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll) after all).

Quality, that's the key word, shots of rolling stock cannot hurt this site, it can only help. Of course, everything won't make the cut. I'm not advocating that. But a few more than the few on here could certainly add a little extra spice. After all, a train isn't much of a train without the cars.
Chessie4033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 07:55 AM   #12
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessie4033
After all, a train isn't much of a train without the cars.
Well, yes, but a train can be a locomotive with or without cars as long as there's a marker on the rear (flag, EOT, dimmed headlight, etc).

Now on the artistic standpoint, one thing y'all have to remember is that photography is an art form, and art is subjective. What someone thinks is an "artistic" shot may not be in someone else's eyes. Shots of cars do get accepted here. I know because I've seen a few. The key is to have a well lit and well composed photo when you're shooting something like that.
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 09:07 AM   #13
Ween

-Off Topic-

Quote:
I'm sure as great a band as AC/DC is they could pull off adding a piano (they had bagpipes in It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll) after all).
True, but It's a Long Way... was off their first album released in 1976, and they were still 'finding' their sound. The bagpipes weren't added into the mix after they already had a proven 'sound,' but while they were still new and trying to find their feet. Heck, they even dropped the ride cymbal not long after the 'High Voltage' album and stuck with simple hi-hat beat keeping.

As far a SellouticA and KI$$ (and even Aero$mith), they change their sound depending on which way the wind blows the largest amount of cash. I expect to hear Zamphir and his panflute on the next Metallica effort. Give me AC/DC and old-school '70s ZZ Top anyday.

The point being: don't mess with a proven formula. The owners of RP know that now is not the time to add a piano to the mix...

-Off Topic Over...sorry-
Old 12-19-2004, 11:51 PM   #14
chris crook

Whoa Ween, are you gunning for spokesperson job, or what?

Old 12-20-2004, 01:02 AM   #15
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris crook
Whoa Ween, are you gunning for spokesperson job, or what?
I just don't like AC/DC getting compared or mentioned with $ellouticA or KI$$!!