Old 08-19-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
jaanfo

Default Worth an Appeal?

Took this Grab shot of a (somewhat) rare movement in San Diego yesterday... I was supposed to be at work in two minutes and kinda slowly cruised through the Alley until the train(s, there was another right ahead of it, I hopped back in and kept cruising) appeared, then grabbed this shot.

Unfortunately since the train was on the closer of the tracks it's difficuly to be able to crop the fence as nicely as I did in a similar shot of a Coaster taken last month... and since it was a grab I wasn't able to frame it as well as I wished I could. IMO, It's not obstructing the view of the train, but is it too distracting, or should I try an appeal on the photo?

There will be other chances to shoot (such as tonight) though I'm not sure I'll be able to seize them since I work on call, and the first time I tried I was called before reaching the trackside.. I'm usually on call in the evening and the morning run is made in high sun. Thanks in advanced for your help!

-Jared

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=868937007
jaanfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:26 PM   #2
JRMDC

Well, it seems like you shoot the location regularly, or at least once before
Image © Jaanfo
PhotoID: 195237
Photograph © Jaanfo

So it shouldn't be that important to get this particular shot in.

Now, I happen to like this shot in general. You could certainly crop the bottom off as much as possible, turning it into a 3:2 ratio instead of 4:3. That would reduce the in-your-face of the fence, the big problem in the scene, yet some of it would remain out of focus in the foreground. I would have said bad cropping instead of foreground clutter. But I'm not a screener!

I would personally not simply appeal the current photo. I would try the crop, now that I think about it some more.

PS: rare movements - are they in the eyes of the beholder, or are they of historical importance? Opinions differ. I'm not much interested myself, but then that is my personal nature, and anyway this could be a big deal in San Diego. But I don't see RP as a repository of rare movement images of this type.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 08-19-2007 at 01:29 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:18 PM   #3
traingeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaanfo
Took this Grab shot of a (somewhat) rare movement in San Diego yesterday... I was supposed to be at work in two minutes and kinda slowly cruised through the Alley until the train(s, there was another right ahead of it, I hopped back in and kept cruising) appeared, then grabbed this shot.
Personally I find the shot cluttered, not just in the foreground. I would try a different location or at least find a way to keep the fence out of the foreground and some of the distracting wires out of the background. It's a nice angle and a nice subject, though.
traingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:47 PM   #4
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaanfo
If something is worth doing, it's worth doing right. RP shouldn't be where you put grab shots. It also looks like all you needed to do was to stand up or maybe stand on the side of your car with the door open. All that said, it's not a bad shot. But that fence is a bit distracting.

The other shot you took at this location is great. This one is mediocre. You know, a grab shot.

Joe
Old 08-20-2007, 12:06 AM   #5
jaanfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
It also looks like all you needed to do was to stand up or maybe stand on the side of your car with the door open. All that said, it's not a bad shot. But that fence is a bit distracting.
That was how the Coaster shot came out so nice there, I had the time and desire to get the camera over the fence enough for it to not be a subject in the photo, also there is more light on the further track (don't ask me why, prolly the buildings). Unfortunately since I was rushing to get this shot and because it was on the closer track I couldn't climb on the wall. It appears that I'll have a reprieve tonight, I have to be at work downtown at 5:50, and this train departs at 5:30... plenty of time if I get downtown early enough, so I'd better shower now and get down there

Thanks for the help everyone, I'm gonna try the shot again and upload the result tonight.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:07 AM   #6
jaanfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by traingeek
Personally I find the shot cluttered, not just in the foreground. I would try a different location or at least find a way to keep the fence out of the foreground and some of the distracting wires out of the background. It's a nice angle and a nice subject, though.
Yeah, the Coaster shot looks like it was taken about 50 feet west where there were fewer wires, so I'll see if I can shoot from that spot tonight.