Old 06-24-2007, 01:46 AM   #1
jaanfo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 161
Default New one... Bad Angle

ok, So I've gotten through my Poor image quality... now on to the Bad Angle.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=183856228

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=386307&key=0

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1093520806

I'm a bit more understanding in the notion of the third one, but what's the problem with the first two? Too much wedgie?
jaanfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:11 AM   #2
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,899
Default

I would forget #2 as the bottom of the train is cut off. #3 is a going away shot and just not worthing fighting for in my sometimes borderline humble opinion. As for the first one, I like it and think there's a chance to save it. I would consider cropping some off to the left of the shot through, up to the light. I'm not sure what that does to your aspect ratio though.

Your first course of action might be an appeal on the basis of any other angle would include foreground clutter on the trucks.


Joe
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:28 AM   #3
WembYard
Senior Member
 
WembYard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bedfordshire, UK
Posts: 646
Default

Both of the first two need rotating to the left a little.

#1 looks to be a bit too much "in your face" to me, almost fish-eye. Unlike Joe, I am not a wide angle fan; would it have been possible to stand further back, or does the platform finish where you were standing? (I realise that this might not be much help for the future if the location is not local to you)

#2 OK (apart from the "unlevel horizon"), but the bogies (trucks) being obscured might be a killer.

#3 Way too much dead space on the right, maybe a vertical crop would work better. Probably one for the dreaded "personal collection", though perhaps the engineer would like a copy if it is possible to get in contact with him.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:38 AM   #4
jaanfo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WembYard
Both of the first two need rotating to the left a little.
I'll see what I can do, but the wide angle makes it a tad fisheyed which is why it's sometimes hard to make the image perfectly levelled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WembYard
#1 looks to be a bit too much "in your face" to me, almost fish-eye. Unlike Joe, I am not a wide angle fan; would it have been possible to stand further back, or does the platform finish where you were standing? (I realise that this might not be much help for the future if the location is not local to you)
Apart from the fact that the only two lenses I have right now are wide-angle, so I can't accomodate you there, I was indeed at the end of the platform already. I'm not local to the area, but I have a week to reattempt... but most of the trains stop further back on the platform creating the problem below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WembYard
#2 OK (apart from the "unlevel horizon"), but the bogies (trucks) being obscured might be a killer.
I'd think that being at a station stop would negate that... it's not as if I'd purposefully cropped them out or hid behind a bush, but I do see your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WembYard
#3 Way too much dead space on the right, maybe a vertical crop would work better. Probably one for the dreaded "personal collection", though perhaps the engineer would like a copy if it is possible to get in contact with him.
I liked having the engineer shot in, but it seems doomed from the get-go, I may try an appeal to see what the Chriss' say (Chrises'? Chris'?). Yes, it's possible to get him the shot... I know a bunch of people down there
jaanfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:42 AM   #5
jaanfo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
I would forget #2 as the bottom of the train is cut off. #3 is a going away shot and just not worthing fighting for in my sometimes borderline humble opinion. As for the first one, I like it and think there's a chance to save it. I would consider cropping some off to the left of the shot through, up to the light. I'm not sure what that does to your aspect ratio though.

Your first course of action might be an appeal on the basis of any other angle would include foreground clutter on the trucks.


Joe

I think I'll appeal the first and Third shot, it sounds like the second shot will never fly.

It was mentioned below by Wembyard that I should crop #3 vertically,but I'm suddenly having Dejavu and thinking I've tried this image before... obviously without luck. Dunno.
jaanfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:10 PM   #6
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaanfo
I think I'll appeal the first and Third shot, it sounds like the second shot will never fly.
If you are pursuing 1 and 3, I would work on them rather than appeal them as is. The first, start with Joe's suggestion and also check the rotation. On 3, there is lots of dead space all over - maybe try a vertical, following what Janet said.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:29 PM   #7
a231pacific
Senior Member
 
a231pacific's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 822
Default

I like all three shots. Could they be better? Possibly. I'll leave the comments on 1 and 3 to the others, as I think all has been said.

On two, I note that everyone has commented on the trucks (bogies for our UK viewers) being obscured, but since the train is at a station platform, that's kind of a given. Since trains stop at stations, that's part of railroading. Are shots at Stations to be verboten, simply because the trucks are hidden?

I think the shot needs to be considered as a whole, and it's got good lighting, a great sky, an interesting background, a good looking subject, properly framed. So where's the beef? I'd appeal this one. Cutting out the interesting light posts means cutting sky.

If this is a crop of a wider original, I would consider shifting the shot bit to the right. Omit the second tall building on the left and show more of the other train on the right. Put the light posts further from the edge of the shot. Good luck.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #8
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Good points, Michael.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.