Old 11-13-2005, 12:14 AM   #1
Pat Lorenz
Senior Member
 
Pat Lorenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 326
Default Everybody just hold the phone!

I dont know if this is a sore subject or if there is something i am not aware of but i was reading a post on Railroad Forums and it had very high negitive remarks toward our site/ forum. Is there some bad blood here or what? I dont understand why those guys are so mad at Railpictures. I am not a member of railroad forums but i do like to pop in every once in a while to see what people are talking about, because it is a very active group. But this, i do not understand. I am not trying to start anything but i just feel we should all see this.

Heres the link to the forum, notice some of the word choice.

http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/...ad.php?t=10223
Pat Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 12:19 AM   #2
4kV
Senior Member
 
4kV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address
Posts: 653
Default

Caleb brought this up the other day. I believe the original thread is gone, however. In short, people feel the need to bash this site because of several reasons, one of which is that they can not take criticism or the fact that some pictures get rejected. I don't know, it's not really that big a deal, but I guess some people are more thin skinned than I am. I find it all quite trivial. Rejection.... learn from it, move on, simple concept.

The original thread was quite entertaining. It was people bashing the site, some of these bashers still upload on railpictures.net regularly, bashing the admins, etc. Nothing new, same thing you get on this forum from time to time before they who are doing the whining end up being rightfully banned. I'll stop there, otherwise I'll just turn into a smartass and elaborate, which will not do much good.

Here is the original thread.

http://www.railpictures.net/forums/s...ead.php?t=2811
__________________
WTFWDD

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.

Last edited by 4kV; 11-13-2005 at 03:26 PM.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 12:32 AM   #3
Pat Lorenz
Senior Member
 
Pat Lorenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 326
Default

I guess i didnt see that other thread, but i get the reasoning now. If administrators want to delete this thread because it is a duplicate they can and please do.
Pat Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 05:58 AM   #4
cmherndon
Banned
 
cmherndon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lawrenceburg, KY
Posts: 883
Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon
Default

Hey...Bob actually grew a pair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kV
In short, people feel the need to bash this site because of several reasons, one of which is that they can not take criticism or the fact that some pictures get rejected. I don't know, it's not really that big a deal, but I guess some people are more thin skinned than I am. I find it all quite trivial. Rejection.... learn from it, move on, simple concept
You hit the nail right on the head there. However, that simple concept is apparently too complicated for most people to grasp. I guess that's what separates railfans with cameras from the photographers of railroads (and hopefully other subjects ).
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 06:48 AM   #5
ssw9662
Senior Member
 
ssw9662's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 839
Default

I don't really see what all the fuss regarding RP.net is about. Sure, I have got some rejections that I did not agree with at all (Even though I generally forget about the majority of my rejected photos), but some of the posts in these anti-RP threads over there are just simply people bashing the site for no good reason. Most of the time, there's a reason for a photo to get rejected from the site, and something that alot of people don't get is that someone has to pay the website bills...
__________________
Austin
Canon EOS 7D
Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 02:49 PM   #6
CG_F45
Senior Member
 
CG_F45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 413
Default

I think that there is a negative view toward this place because of the high standards. I myself got agrrivated at first, but now I like the higher standards, becasue when I get a shot accepted, I know that it is a GOOD one!!!!!
__________________
Chris G

My photos at RailPictures.Net
CG_F45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 03:40 PM   #7
FullService
Junior Member
 
FullService's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16
Talking

Whats really funny about all those threads on the RR forums, Trainorders ect you ask... It's the sad fact that many on the people who beat the RP drum here in this forum go to other places and join in on the bashing useing the exact same screen names! How sad it must be to be two faced like that, or to think that users here dont also visit other sites. I saw a lot of names over there that I have seen here in the past.

Basicly, its like this. TO, RRF, they are just scared of a little friendly competition. Each of the larger sites has something to offer. If you want some of the best trains pictures on the net, go to RP, if you want news and the right to pay for it, go to TO, and if you want everything else in no certain order, go to the the RRF.

Kudo's to RP is right! Very few post get yanked here, the censorship pen is left in the desk most days unless things get out of hand, and while we have the OPTION to help pay for the site, its still as free as it was at the start and The links to trainorders and RRF are NOT banned here either. As for those two faced folks (and you know who you are...and so does anyone else who read those post)...shame shame, everyone knows you (screen) name (with apoligies to sherriff Roscoe for stealing the line)

Back to lurk and learn mode.
FullService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:08 PM   #8
Strasburg_fan
Member
 
Strasburg_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 54
Default

Let's all keep in mind that these kinds of posts are NOT the fault of the RailroadForums.com staff, but the cause of members who have had a photo rejected here and use RRF (or any other forum) as a means of bashing RP.net without getting banned from it. I have found in the past through personal experience that Bob is a good moderator and a friendly person. RRF and RP.net are two totally different, yet completely valid, railroad sites.

It's a shame that a few folks that can't accept a rejection or two have to pull down the reputation of the forum they complain on with them. I'm actually GLAD RP.net is so picky about the photos they accept (I myself only have 8 online now). I don't want to have to sift through a load of half-decent photos when I come here, and I know that I will never have to worry about that ever happening!

-Christian S.

Last edited by Strasburg_fan; 11-14-2005 at 01:11 PM.
Strasburg_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:36 PM   #9
hoydie17
We Own The Night...
 
hoydie17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Centreville, VA
Posts: 799
Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17
Default Here's what I think.

Here's the issue, it's my opinion only, so don't get too worked up over it.

Most of us railfans are rather passionate about trains, and everyone of us at one time or another took photos of them, or still do.

Quite frankly, everyone DOES have a right to think their photos are "web-publishable" quality. What they DON'T have a right to, nor do they understand is that it is all the owners, administrators, and maintainers of this site also have a RIGHT to decide what does and does not go up on their page. A common right that they share if they were to create their own website.

I post to RP.net mostly because I don't have the desire to maintain my own website. RP.net and to a lesser extent rrpicturearchives.net provide me a medium to share my photos with a minimal investment of time. (Thereby giving me an opportunity to take MORE photos.) Someday maybe I'll commit the time to make a website. With RP.net and RRPA.net I can rest assured my stuff gets looked at, and thereby makes it worth the time it takes to post.

It is common knowledge, you do not like what you do not understand. Until the people that continue to badmouth the site understand why their photos aren't getting accepted, you're going to see this day in and day out.

The internet (God bless it) makes it easier and easier to "flame-spray" a website, person(s) or group with impunity. With the internet, you are who you say you are, and you do not have to prove it to anyone.

9/10s of the railfan world really doesn't have a problem with RP.net, the problem is, the 1/10th that I'm not accounting for is full of ego-maniacs. And everyone of us probably knows one or more in our personal lives, whether they are friends, family, co-workers, or railfans.

As a contributor to RP.net, whether you have 1 or 500 photos, you should always remember, there are two types of railfans; railfans with cameras, and photographers of railroads.
__________________
See my work on FLICKR: Night Stalker Photo Works on FLICKR

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:03 PM   #10
dodi4200
Senior Member
 
dodi4200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: kfs city, egypt
Posts: 742
Send a message via Yahoo to dodi4200
Default

i agree with Christian S
i think that i joined this forums from about 1 year and im still uploading my pix from about one year till now and all of them rejected.i saw the reason of rejection and look at the pic and know that there is amistake and try to avoid it in the next time.i just keeping these words in my minds (rejecting my pix isnot the end of the world.i should try and try to reach the success).
thanks to rp.net that im now know alot of things and tips in railroad photographing.
__________________
mohamed
bnsf-born 2 fight
big boy 4-8-8-4 ''best of the west''
(if you like an idea,thought alot in it and worked hard for it.you will get it)
click here 2 c my pix @ rp.net
dodi4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:00 PM   #11
Ru1056
Senior Member
 
Ru1056's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Indianapolis IN
Posts: 438
Send a message via Yahoo to Ru1056
Default

Quote:
Let's all keep in mind that these kinds of posts are NOT the fault of the RailroadForums.com staff, but the cause of members who have had a photo rejected here and use RRF (or any other forum) as a means of bashing RP.net without getting banned from it. I have found in the past through personal experience that Bob is a good moderator and a friendly person. RRF and RP.net are two totally different, yet completely valid, railroad sites.
But the admin let it continue, and really does enjoy RP bashing threads. Caleb, myself, and others are called "cheerleaders", "crybabies" and have references to having our cheerleading uniforms up our butt cracks,when we defend RP but he does nothing about that. Yet, the members that get the warnings are the RP "cheerleaders", for basically calling the two faced people out on the absurdity of the whole thing.

It was and is a double standard issue, and the whole thread was started by some folks that got banned here, and then every railfan with a camera who thinks thier shots don't suck had to chime in, and then some people who continue to post photos and post in the forum (here) jumped in just bashing the entire site, but that was okay.
__________________
Billy

JREB.ORG. Moderated discussion forums about NS & CSX

Remember the ugly photo god.

Last edited by Ru1056; 11-14-2005 at 07:49 PM.
Ru1056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:02 PM   #12
cmherndon
Banned
 
cmherndon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lawrenceburg, KY
Posts: 883
Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strasburg_fan
Let's all keep in mind that these kinds of posts are NOT the fault of the RailroadForums.com staff, but the cause of members who have had a photo rejected here and use RRF (or any other forum) as a means of bashing RP.net without getting banned from it.
Well, that's partly true. While the members are making these posts, the mods have the power to say, "This sort of thing will not be tolerated here". I know of several instances where this sort of thing was allowed to continue and get way out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17
Quite frankly, everyone DOES have a right to think their photos are "web-publishable" quality. What they DON'T have a right to, nor do they understand is that it is all the owners, administrators, and maintainers of this site also have a RIGHT to decide what does and does not go up on their page. A common right that they share if they were to create their own website.
Well said.

Quote:
The internet (God bless it) makes it easier and easier to "flame-spray" a website, person(s) or group with impunity. With the internet, you are who you say you are, and you do not have to prove it to anyone.
Keyboard bravery. I can almost guarantee you that the majority of these people wouldn't say what they do if they were standing face to face with whoever they're flaming. This is why there's a Nomex suit in my closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru1056
But the admin let it continue, and really does enjoy RP bashing threads. Caleb, myself, and others are called "cheerleaders", "crybabies" and have references to having our cheerleading uniforms up our butt cracks,when we defend RP but he does nothing about that. Yet, the members that get the warnings are the RP "cheerleaders", for basically calling the two faced people out on the absurdity of the whole thing...It was and is a double standard issue
Double standard indeed. If not for that, I probably wouldn't have asked for my account to be removed from over there. While yes, the site is great for info and what have you, the constant "RP.net basing will not be discussed here" and the mods allowing it to happen got old after a while. It's almost like a "Do as I say, not as I do" type thing.

Quote:
the whole thread was started by some folks that got banned here, and then every railfan with a camera who thinks there shots don't suck had to chime in
It's ego stroking, plain and simple. Basically, the photographer was hearing what he wanted to hear and not the truth. That's when the RP bashing started, and got way out of hand. The mods did nothing, but say that they didn't want this sort of topic there. Yet it was allowed to continue. This is the point I was making with the original post.
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:25 PM   #13
Strasburg_fan
Member
 
Strasburg_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmherndon
Well, that's partly true. While the members are making these posts, the mods have the power to say, "This sort of thing will not be tolerated here". I know of several instances where this sort of thing was allowed to continue and get way out of hand.
Not anymore! Finally it looks as if there is a concerted effort to prevent RP.net bashing from occuring again in the future!

http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/...ad.php?t=10223
Strasburg_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:02 PM   #14
hoydie17
We Own The Night...
 
hoydie17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Centreville, VA
Posts: 799
Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17
Default

Yeah, it worked really well. Note the following excerpts from aforementioned string:

Posted by kiwirailengineer:

Rather than posting here after being rejected, perhaps those who wish to contribute to that arrogant site should submit here first for constructive critique.

Posted by NScnotp:

Let's worry about RailroadForums.com and not the other guy (won't mention the name) who is in deep doo-doo.

Face it, people will still take veiled strikes at RP.net. Mostly because somehow, this site comes off to people as some sort of an "elitist" club. As Caleb said, it's got more to do with ego-stroking than it does the photographs.

Somehow many of these people have allowed themselves to become convinced that RP.net, it's editors, administrators, and screeners have the final say on what makes a good photo, anywhere!!!!

This is simply not true, and I'm sure Chris S, Chris K, J.E. Landrum and the other staff members will agree. Just because RP.net rejects it, does not make it a BAD photo!

It's all about CHOICE:

- You CHOOSE to take a photo at a given time or place, or of a particular subject.
- You CHOOSE to upload it to RP.net, TO, RRF, or one of the thousands of Yahoo and Railfan.net groups.
- You CHOOSE to make it publicly available to criticize.
- You CHOOSE to upload to RP.net knowing full well that it will be screened to see if it meets their standards.
- Said websites CHOOSE to accept or reject it.

Doesn't get much simpler than that.

JMTC
Sean
__________________
See my work on FLICKR: Night Stalker Photo Works on FLICKR

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 01:24 AM   #15
Strasburg_fan
Member
 
Strasburg_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 54
Default

At least the law has been laid. We can only hope that they will take care to enforce it should it ever be broken in the future. You can lay down laws for members on your site to obey, but regrettably you can't change the way people feel on the inside. People who complain so much about RP.net should realize they are making a big deal out of what amounts to nothing...

Last edited by Strasburg_fan; 11-15-2005 at 01:30 AM.
Strasburg_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.