Old 01-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
VGN800

Default Wallpapers?

I just got a new monitor and I was trying to find some really nice railroad photography to use as a wallpaper, but found myself coming up short. It seems that 1920x1080 resolution (or higher) high quality railroad photography is hard to find online.

So my question is this: Is there some reason why this site does not offer the opportunity to upload higher resolution photographs so that fellow fans can use them for wallpaper? Obviously bandwidth can be a concern, but surely it wouldn't make too much of an impact if the higher resolution images required clicking a further link to download. Perhaps making the downloads only available to registered users would help.

Regardless, I think the ability to upload higher resolution versions of your photographs after they have been accepted, or as part of the submission process, would be beneficial to RP.net community as a whole. I'm sure I'm not the only one who often wishes they could see high res copies of some of the excellent photography on this site.
VGN800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
troy12n
Banned

Higher resolution = bigger files = bigger costs for the site. And since it's a free site for the most part, I can understand them not wanting to do it.

Plus higher res = more likelyhood of someone stealing our photos and using them for commercial purposes without us knowing.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
crazytiger

That's what the "Contact [photographer's name]" button is for. Shoot someone an email, ask for a higher res photo and, if you won't use it for anything else (and you assure them of this), then many will be happy to send you a slightly higher resolution picture for your use as a wallpaper.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:28 AM   #4
Paolo Roffo

Jetphotos allows much larger images.