Old 11-30-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool Slum lighting

Is this suitable for RP?

http://www.lifewastedchasingtrains.c...g2_itemId=3410

I like it because the grotty lighting seems to be appropriate for a gritty 19th Century-like industrial slum.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

I'd accept in a heartbeat; great shot!
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
Ron Flanary

Why are you asking, John.....it's fantastic!!
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

-poor lighting
-going away shot
-bad angle
-underexposed
-common power
-overexposed

Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
JRMDC

I'm looking for the unlevel, digging deep, there has to be something wrong with the shot, this is RP and Ron F has taught me it must be so...

Nice!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
Mr. Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy View Post
There's your answer, John. Love the shot.
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #7
WMHeilman

Hell yes, that's an outstanding shot.
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy View Post
Okay, that is a pretty clear response, and appreciated. But my asking reflects my confusion regarding what RP wants these days, because many of the common reasons for rejection could reasonably be applied to this image.
Which probably is just another reaffirmation of the inherent subjectivity of the screening process. But thanks Chris.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #9
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
Okay, that is a pretty clear response, and appreciated. But my asking reflects my confusion regarding what RP wants these days, because many of the common reasons for rejection could reasonably be applied to this image.
Which probably is just another reaffirmation of the inherent subjectivity of the screening process. But thanks Chris.
John....I think you've just made a very important point. Despite all the "standards," and the frequent death spirals and howling over screener decisions, there ain't no "right and wrong" in this stuff-----only the ambiguity of imagery and personal choice. "One man's feast is another man's famine."
Old 11-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #10
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool Looking for more input

Last July some friends and I spent a few days in the Black Hills and chased the Black Hills Central that has a neat 2-6-6-2 that years ago I photographed when it hauled logs for Rayonier. My favorite image from the trip was this one:

http://www.lifewastedchasingtrains.c...g2_itemId=3391

which I submitted to RP and it was rejected both initially and on appeal. I can more or less understand why, there are a bunch of issues, but I fell in love with the sky. To me the sky is what made the image interesting.

I could have submitted this one:

http://www.lifewastedchasingtrains.c...g2_itemId=3118

which I'm guessing would have been accepted (wedgie, good lighting, yada, yada, yada....) but I just didn't find it "interesting" enough to get excited about. So it just resides in my personal website as kind of a record shot.

I'm just curious as to how the readers here compare the merits of the two shots. Maybe I'm just out of step with the world.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #11
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

The first one you might see in a retrospective of a well known artist at an art museum. The second one you might see on RP.net.
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #12
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
But my asking reflects my confusion regarding what RP wants these days, because many of the common reasons for rejection could reasonably be applied to this image.
Please keep in mind, John...er...Mr. West, that I have recently spent no less than an hour and a half perusing your website shaking my head continuously at all the unbelievably amazing photos you have taken in your life. That being said.

Ughhhhhhhhhhh!

I am merely a contributor to RP these days but I feel as if I'm defending it on a weekly basis in some way. RP doesn't "want" anything; they never have. There are no laws (other than copyright and excessive Photoshopping) to what can and cannot be uploaded just guidelines. Most if not all the photos accepted can have at least one rejection reason applied but that doesn't mean its guaranteed that way.

For all: There is emotion and feeling involved in the screening process which I was lucky enough to be one of the few to experience. When you get drawn into a scene such as the photo above, the easily applicable rejections reasons get tossed aside because there is more to it than just the train.

So what is RP looking for these days? They want railroad photos. Plain and simple. What kind? All kinds. On a sunny day? Not necessarily. But I've had one rejected that I took on a cloudy day. Revisit that photo in a day or two and see if you can see where they are coming from. Did it lack the emotion or power necessary to ignore the "poor" weather? If you are having a hard time distancing yourself from your own work then ask a neutral figure or a brutally honest friend (as was and is done here).

I've shown friends whom I trust to give me honest feedback about shots that I LOVE and once in a while, I'll get a "meh" it's okay but you have better. Think of RP screeners in this way as well. If you disagree that strongly, take it to the courts (the forums) and get more feedback rather than expecting a response in an appeal.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #13
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Last July some friends and I spent a few days in the Black Hills and chased the Black Hills Central that has a neat 2-6-6-2 that years ago I photographed when it hauled logs for Rayonier. My favorite image from the trip was this one:

http://www.lifewastedchasingtrains.c...g2_itemId=3391

which I submitted to RP and it was rejected both initially and on appeal. I can more or less understand why, there are a bunch of issues, but I fell in love with the sky. To me the sky is what made the image interesting.
I'm really not being a contrarian at all...but I love the image that was rejected. The second one is just a train photo. That's just my opinion, of course----which doesn't count, since I don't make decisions for this site. If I did, there would probably be a national revolt.