Old 01-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
lock4244

Default Advice on selling a photo

Let's say a large corporation contacted you regarding the use of a photo for an annual report. Would you ask for payment or go with the "good will" angle? I'm thinking payment because that new D300 wasn't free. If you agree with this route, in what range would you put that fee?

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

I think you should get paid and that you should ask, especially since this is a big corporation.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
WKUrailfan

Large corporations have money. If your work is valuable to you, put a price on it. There's nothing in it for you if you give your work away for free. If you do that you're loosing money and undercutting photographers who sell their work to make a living. Ask for around $350 to start.
WKUrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
TheRoadForeman
Banned

You need to ask for atleast $1,000 for the use of your material, keep in mind however that YOU need to specify HOW the photo is used. One time, more than once, give up all rights, etc..... In the contract make sure that your price includes, but not limited to; use of your equipment, travel expenses to make the photo and your general time to make this photo happen. I hope this helps!

-- Kevin
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Haven't sold any photos myself, however, from talking to folks who have, 350 - 400 sounds reasonable.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:11 AM   #6
Joe the Photog

Screw good will. Good will doesn't even put a tank of gas in your car. That big corporation will not remember the good will next week. You will not reap any benefits from good will. Settle on a price. Without knowing more of the details, 1000 seems high to me for what seems to be an internal report. You may want to ask for more than you think you'll get, but not so much that they walk away from the deal. I'm guessing there are other photogs out there they could use instead and you don't want to price yourself out of the ballpark like Manny Ramirez.

Joe
Old 01-30-2009, 01:34 AM   #7
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
Screw good will. Good will doesn't even put a tank of gas in your car. That big corporation will not remember the good will next week. You will not reap any benefits from good will. Settle on a price. Without knowing more of the details, 1000 seems high to me for what seems to be an internal report. You may want to ask for more than you think you'll get, but not so much that they walk away from the deal. I'm guessing there are other photogs out there they could use instead and you don't want to price yourself out of the ballpark like Manny Ramirez.

Joe
That is a good point Joe, however, if they want the shot, they will pay the asking price. Most contracted photographers in my area charge well over a grand per day plus expenses and this is not an expensive neighborhood either! This fee only includes limited use of the photos by the clients as well.

-- Kevin
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:44 AM   #8
willie6622

$250 to $500 is going rate. I would not just give it to them, however the choice is up to you.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
lock4244

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:35 AM   #10
Joey Bowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadForeman
That is a good point Joe, however, if they want the shot, they will pay the asking price. Most contracted photographers in my area charge well over a grand per day plus expenses and this is not an expensive neighborhood either! This fee only includes limited use of the photos by the clients as well.

-- Kevin
Charging a grand per day is a lot different than a grand per photo. We charged $1400 for our last wedding. But we are not in a position where we could sell one print for $1400.

Charging $1000 for one photo period requires that you have a VERY famous name. Just being some random railroad photographer with a D300 doesnt entitle you to this. A name and reputation will take years to build up, but it is very possible. There are plenty of photographers that easily charge $10,000 per print, or for a set of prints, but of course, they have their name and reputation to go along with this which entitles them to be able to charge such high prices.

I think the other suggestions of $300 or so sound best. In this day and age, if you charge too much, the client can easily find some one else who will sell them something similar for a much better price. Also another thing to think about is how rare is the shot? Is it something that some body with a point and shoot could easily take? You know, common power, easy access to location, generic lighting..
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:58 AM   #11
DelmonteX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bowman

Charging $1000 for one photo period requires that you have a VERY famous name. Just being some random railroad photographer with a D300 doesnt entitle you to this.
Not so sure 'bout that. My name is far from famous, as is a friends. I've gotten a grand for 3 shots that are in the database and my friend has obtained $1300 each for two shots used in the very same type of publication in question (Annual report).

Perhaps one way to look at this, is the photo something that can be fairly easily taken again? Then maybe it's not worth $1000.00. If you're uneasy about asking this much then certainly take less. The last time I hemmed and hawed about the figure and chickened out about asking for $1000.00, the number I did offer up was accepted so fast, I knew instantly I undersold the photo.

I have a policy I try to adhere to: If there's profit to be made, I'm entitled to some of it, when my work is being used. Non-profit, I sell very low, or for nothing.

My Railpictures.net photos

My other photos
DelmonteX is offline   Reply With Quote