Old 11-22-2005, 04:03 AM   #1
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09
Default Camera Advice

I know you guys are probably tired of me asking for equiptment advice, but here it goes again. I've decided that I need to replace my Maxxum 3 because I miss having manual controls. I bought it when I was a younger, naive photographer who didn't know there was such thing as a "point-and-shoot SLR." I'll probably end up selling the body, which is in exquisite shape, and the crap lense that came with it. I'll still have a Quantarray 70-300 F4-5.6 lense that belongs to my parents that I could use. I'd like to get a mirror lock-up option for nature photography also, but I'm not sure it that will be possible. Here are the options before me as I see them:
1. Upgrade to Maxxum 7(has MLU)
2. Change over to Canon slowly with used EOS Elan(has MLU), 50mm lense, and same telephoto as above but by Canon, would cost less that Maxxum 7
3. Change over to a Maxxum 70(no MLU), costs less than options 1 or 2
4. Get an older Maxxum model(no MLU) off of Ebay, B&H, or Adorama, like the old 7000 or "i" series, cost would vary
5. Get an old Minolta X-series camera(no MLU), of which I alread have a 50mm F/1.7 lens and a 80-200 F/4.5 lens

I just thought I'd get some input from here to see what some thoughts here. Keep in mind I'm a teenager so cost is somewhat of an issue, though almost any except the Maxxum 7(around $400+) seem feasible alternatives to me.
Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Slopes09; 11-22-2005 at 04:04 AM. Reason: typo
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 04:46 AM   #2
trackone

Default Try Nikon

If you want a professional camera look at the Nikon N90s. Its heavy, extremely well made, and operates in auto or manual. It will work with virtually every Nikon manual and auto focus lens,save the newest exclusive plastic digital models. It operates on 4 AA batteries. It has the exclusive hi eyepoint viewfinder which is gives an incredible view of the subject.
They are going for 200-250. You have an unlimited supply of used Nikon glass. The camera is easy to use with manual lenses. tom
trackone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 12:21 PM   #3
LAHDPOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopes09
2. Change over to Canon slowly with used EOS Elan(has MLU), 50mm lense, and same telephoto as above but by Canon, would cost less that Maxxum 7
If you'd be interested in an Elan7E, let me know. It's in great shape and has less than 100 rolls taken.

I didn't say it was your fault.... I said I was going to blame you.

Click Here to see my rp.net photos.

Click Here to see my "personal collection"
LAHDPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:07 PM   #4
Pat Lorenz

I am a Nikon user, i have a N90, not the N90S, I have been using it for a couple years and have been pretty happy with it. The technology is old on it but it still works well. The N90S just has more features than the N90 but they are basically the same. At this point in time i would get a N90S over anything because the N90 series is pretty cheap nowdays. The focusing is very slow, with auto focus lenses the camera skips around alot (especally with ditch lights), trying to get focused. That doesnt matter to me because all my photgraphy is manually focused. Its got a lot of nice features but again its a camera that has been out for a long time. $200 is very high for a N90S, you can find them on ebay with the battery grip and a lense for probably a little over $100. I also have an F100, which is super nice, but that will put you back about $450, with out a lense. Nikons lense system is the easiest one to use compared to Canon. With nikon you have simple choices G, D, or ED. If i was you i would go to Nikon over a minota. Canon is great stuff to, they have a awful lot of stuff to choose from so it might get confusing. The Nikon N80 wouldnt be a bad choice, but its more of a novice camera, but it has updated technology. But you can get a great Nikon N90 set up off ebay for little $. There is no doubt that the N90 series was incredible, and it is still in many pro's bags today.
Pat Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 04:36 AM   #5
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

The one thing about manual focus, which I forgot to mention, is that despite being a teenager, my vision is slowly getting worse. I did recently use the old XG-1 when an emergency arose, and I did fine with it. I'm just not sure how my vision would affect my focus. Any advice here would be appreciated also.
Thanks in advance!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 07:00 AM   #6
firegator

Default Camera choices

After having a series of the "newest" Minolta Cameras available since 1970 when I bought a Milolta SRT 101, I can tell you that buying a camera is like buying a suit of clothes-- Everyone has different needs, likes, and requirements-- I stayed with Minolta over the years, owning an XG-m, a 700, 7000i, and several others-- I mentioned these specifically because they were favorites, and I still have the 7000i-- This year I got the digital bug, and after shopping for 4 months and comparing side by side, I bought a Canon 20D-- Not sure about changing systems, I was very leery at first, but I have fallen in love with it-- But, and here is something to consider as you have mentioned-- It is easy to invest more in glass (lenses), than the camera body cost-- All of the options you mentioned, and the equipment mentioned by the other contributors is good equipment-- However, don't get trapped into buying several different brands where your glasss is not interchangeable-- You will end up with a mish-mash that can get expensive, and you still won't be satisfied-- My recommendation is to upgrade by buying a used camera from a reliable dealer-- In your case a Minolta, so you can use your glass and other accessories-- This will likely satisfy your needs until you can afford to further upgrade-- Be sure your glass will work on whatever choice you make-- This camera bug can really get a hold of you-- Oh yes, forgot to mention I recently got a Canon T90 w/ a 500 mm lens-- Film is not dead-- Good luck--
Regards, da Gator
firegator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 12:21 PM   #7
LAHDPOP

One nice thing about the Elan7E (and others in its class, I suppose); it's got extremely fast eye-controlled focus. It has 7 focus points, and whichever one you look at, the camera focuses there very quickly. It even has a moving target setting, in which as you follow your subject's path across the viewfinder, the camera makes focusing adjustments. A camera with a fast auto-focus, Canon or Nikon would be my best guess, would probably be best if you don't trust your eyesight.

I didn't say it was your fault.... I said I was going to blame you.

Click Here to see my rp.net photos.

Click Here to see my "personal collection"
LAHDPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 03:45 AM   #8
brunswickrailfan

Send a message via AIM to brunswickrailfan
Smile

There are used Canon ELAN 7E/NEs for sale at B&H for under $300 in > 9 condition...

I have used its younger brother, the ELAN 2E (there was no 3, 4, 5, or 6...) and IT was an amazing camera for it's time.

But digital is the way to go...no matter which model you buy, you will love it.
http://dputz.deviantart.com
http://members.trainorders.com/dputz/v2
brunswickrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote