Old 06-17-2007, 09:35 PM   #1
Ken Carr
Senior Member: Vegasrails

Default Photo advice

Just looking for ideas on having this photo accepted. It's a long distance photo taken a 70-300mm lense in 111 degree heat. The subject is running against a small mountain range outside of Las Vegas. Any suggestions ladies and gentlemen?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=925516436

Thanks in advance...Ken

See what I do for fun along the rails and in the desert

See some of my slide shows

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Ken Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:24 PM   #2
Mike B.
Banned

Dump it. The light on the train is horrid. As far as cropping goes, just crop on all corners to get rid of the excess sky and foreground.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:23 AM   #3
Joe the Photog

I personally don't see a problem with the cropping. I like seeing the whole train and lots of foreground. But the lighting is sub par. You could try an appeal on the crop and hope the creener isn't reading this.

Joe
Old 06-18-2007, 02:34 AM   #4
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

This is advice to everyone - avoid putting the train in the center of the frame! I'm not preaching rule of thirds but having an equal amount of sky and foreground is actually distracting. My theory is no puffy or solo clouds get the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
Dump it. The light on the train is horrid. As far as cropping goes, just crop on all corners to get rid of the excess sky and foreground.
I'll first say you did get the idea of cropping right, but you have no idea what you are talking about as far as the lighting goes. If its anything but full sun its "horrid"? I wouldn't be too happy with my collection if I followed that logic. The backlighting of the mountains make the rock edges stand out and show the SCENE rather than just the TRAIN.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:36 AM   #5
Mgoldman

I've seen a bunch of similar photos where the lighting, or perhaps, resolution causes the train to appear more like a water color painting then a sharp photo. I'd let it go, but you could certainly appeal it based on the current rarity of the subject. I gather, different screeners, different tolerences.

As far as cropping - like Andrew stated - it's right smack in the center of the photo. It may be slightly unlevel too. About the only way you could further crop it if you do not have more sky or ground would be to make it a Photoshop OOB image (Out of Bounds). Look it up on Google if you aren't sure what that is - it's pretty neat : )

/Mitch
Stop, look and comment!
Click Here to take a look at my photos on RP.

Last edited by Mgoldman; 06-18-2007 at 02:38 AM.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:39 AM   #6
Joe the Photog

Andrew;

I didn't see it as being in the center of the frame. It also wasn't appealed on composition or balance, but cropping. But I have been very aware of whether I center trains or not. It's taking me a little getting used to. Wedgies seem to gravitate to the center of the frame for me. More artistic framing seems to work out for themselves.

Joe
Old 06-18-2007, 03:15 AM   #7
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
Andrew;

I didn't see it as being in the center of the frame.

Joe
Ahh true, didn't take a good enough look at it the first time. Too much boring sky. Take some out and hope its not too panoramic!

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:43 AM   #8
Ken Carr
Senior Member: Vegasrails

Thanks for the ideas and comments. For those that know the location the train is actually going down hill, I leveled it. I cropped it close to make it appear more level. The sun is to the right of the train and opposite of my location. Thanks for the comments...Ken

See what I do for fun along the rails and in the desert

See some of my slide shows

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Ken Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:52 AM   #9
Ween

Ken,

I might be a little late here, but I'd lose the tail end of the train on the curve. It gets lost behind the power line support structure...
Old 06-18-2007, 06:38 AM   #10
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
I'll first say you did get the idea of cropping right, but you have no idea what you are talking about as far as the lighting goes. If its anything but full sun its "horrid"? I wouldn't be too happy with my collection if I followed that logic. The backlighting of the mountains make the rock edges stand out and show the SCENE rather than just the TRAIN.
You're right, the lighting on the mountains is great, but the lighting on the train is not good IMO. Just looks like the front end of the train is in shadows. The lighting towards the back of the train is fine so the sun can't be too far off. I'm sure you could keep the light the same (or close to it) on the mountains and have the entire train lit at the same time. Granted, I've never been to this location, but it looks doable.

I agree 100% about the train being in the middle of the frame.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:15 PM   #11
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

Just take out some of the foreground IMO.

That train drove me nuts when it was in town! I staked out at Apex waiting for it, but got impatient when it didn't show and headed towards town to see if it was coming. As I got down near Fremont St., there it went! So I head north on 15 and got ahead of it. However, due to low fuel I couldn't head all the way back to Apex so I tried to catch it at Valley, but was swallowed up by heavy traffic! I'll have to catch it in August I guess.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:12 AM   #12
Ween

You know, now that I realize this was a special move, ignore my advice about cutting off the end of the train. I thought it was just another Amtrak train at the time...
Old 06-20-2007, 10:04 PM   #13
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.
Default New photo (didn't want to start another thread for the same topic.)

This was rejected for the foreground clutter of the shrub which I will admit is worse than the sign posts, etc. that I have seen accepted. My question is, what do you think of the photo looking past the obstruction? If you like it other than the shrub blocking a few of the drive wheels, I might take a saw with me next time. This was my first attempt at a reflection shot in something other than a mud puddle. I've seen at least one other photo on RP at this location, only on the other side of the tracks. The sun would have been in my face if I would have went there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EBT Reflection web.jpg (258.9 KB, 225 views)
Old 06-22-2007, 01:04 AM   #14
Carl Becker

Sorry to say, but the brush is a distracting obstruction in the foreground. Sometimes obstructions go unnoticed or don't "take away from the photo" in which case they are accepted, such as signs, switchstands, etc, to the side of the train. Tall brushes and weeds typically do not get accepted from what I have seen - unless of course they are on the same track the train is running on and do not distract from the photo.

Example here - and notice the other shots I also have there. They all have the milepost.

Image © Carl Becker
PhotoID: 189244
Photograph © Carl Becker

In your shot, if the brush wasn't there, the shot would turn out really nice. That's a good reflection in the water.

Last edited by Carl Becker; 06-22-2007 at 01:07 AM. Reason: poor typing
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:48 AM   #15
WembYard

EMTRailfan, that is a nice location - shame about the bushes though. I think a flame-thrower would be of more use than a saw in this case
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:31 PM   #16
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Thanks for the encouragement. I saw the clutter, but I didn't think it was THAT bad until it got rejected. The screener was right in rejecting. I will use this one as a learning experience. I imagine that the shrub is on EBT ROW, so I'll see if they will let me do some pruning next time unless someone else beats me to it. Do you think the one blocking the drive wheels will be sufficient? The one on the left edge looks like an actual tree. They may frown on that one.

Carl,

If you look at my shots, I too prefer to have a switch stand, cross buck, or something RR related in my shots to stop the eye. I wasn't dissing sign posts as obstructions, just using them as a comparison to my shrub. Sorry if anyone took it that way.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:45 PM   #17
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan
Do you think the one blocking the drive wheels will be sufficient? The one on the left edge looks like an actual tree. They may frown on that one.
It looks, to my untrained eye, like there is some weed on the right side of the left tree that could be trimmed away. Looks like the leaves are different from those on the tree itself. Make the call when you are there.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote