Old 06-19-2007, 01:00 PM   #1
Arne H. B.

Default Don't slip!

Saw this and thought it was kind of funny. Is that a UP worker (he is wearing coveralls) or a trespasser? Is that a normal way to hang from a local, it was only powered by a GP15 and I think a GP38-2 but it was moving along pretty good!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holdon.jpg (180.5 KB, 273 views)

Last edited by Arne H. B.; 06-19-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Arne H. B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
JimThias

I don't know what the rules are for the railroad when it comes to riding like this, but I hope your image doesn't get that guy in trouble.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:24 PM   #3
Joe the Photog

Jim;

If Arne had caught a car going through a gate in front of a train, would you want that guy to get in trouble? What if the guy on the back of the train actually is a tresspasser? Just curious.

Joe
Old 06-19-2007, 03:51 PM   #4
Ween

I'm conflicted with issues like this, especially when I see photos on JP.net of pilots violating the regs.

For me, I have no problems posting a photo of a car going through a grade crossing that it shouldn't be (obviously). That's because there's no retroactive punishment for doing it. That driver isn't going to get a ticket or lose his license after-the-fact because of the infraction.

Same deal with posting a photo of a hobo. That one hobo I took a photo of was later caught and arrested so the photo wasn't going to get him in any more trouble.

But a rail worker who's face can be seen doing something that might be outside the bounds of the rules is something I wouldn't post. If I did, I would research the rules and ask around to make sure everything's on the up and up because unlike the car in the grade crossing photo, this kind of deal can get people in trouble. Same thing with photos of pilots being outside the rules. It's easy for a company to see what flight it was, what day it was, and figure out who was in the cockpit.

It's a tough call though because you *shouldn't* be outside the rules, but if you obey the rules 99.9% of the time but get caught on camera doing it that 0.1%, it would suck to lose your job over it...
Old 06-19-2007, 06:33 PM   #5
foss0244

Send a message via AIM to foss0244

I have witnessed this before on a short line in Minnesota. I thought it was incredibly stupid of the guy to be hanging off the back like that especially because the train was backing up. It was going very slow, but still, one slip and you're in some crap.

Last edited by foss0244; 06-19-2007 at 06:46 PM.
foss0244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
I'm conflicted with issues like this, especially when I see photos on JP.net of pilots violating the regs.

For me, I have no problems posting a photo of a car going through a grade crossing that it shouldn't be (obviously). That's because there's no retroactive punishment for doing it. That driver isn't going to get a ticket or lose his license after-the-fact because of the infraction.

Same deal with posting a photo of a hobo. That one hobo I took a photo of was later caught and arrested so the photo wasn't going to get him in any more trouble.

But a rail worker who's face can be seen doing something that might be outside the bounds of the rules is something I wouldn't post. If I did, I would research the rules and ask around to make sure everything's on the up and up because unlike the car in the grade crossing photo, this kind of deal can get people in trouble. Same thing with photos of pilots being outside the rules. It's easy for a company to see what flight it was, what day it was, and figure out who was in the cockpit.

It's a tough call though because you *shouldn't* be outside the rules, but if you obey the rules 99.9% of the time but get caught on camera doing it that 0.1%, it would suck to lose your job over it...
Exactly. A person caught going around a gate that is down is different from a railroad employee who is breaking a rule.

I recently uploaded a picture of a RR maintenance worker doing some rail grinding work. I also got a picture of him welding, but didn't submit that one (even though it's a cool shot. ) If he wouldn't have had his shield down, I wouldn't have uploaded the shot (trust me, I've seen plenty of people over the years not wearing a safety shield or goggles when the job required it.) because I feel it may have put his job in jeopardy, or put him in a position to be reprimanded.

In the last few weeks, I witnessed a conductor and engineer stop short of a crossing, get out and walk into a local convenience store to get some snacks. From what I understand, this is frowned upon by the railroad in my area. I COULD have taken a picture of the conductor standing on the front of the train licking an ice cream cone. Yeah, funny shot, but if it risks getting him in trouble, why bother?

It's not my place to expose a worker who is performing his/her job unsafely or outside the rules of the railroad. However, if a person is breaking the law (going around gates with a train approaching, for example), then I feel that is completely different.

Last edited by JimThias; 06-19-2007 at 07:25 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:15 PM   #7
Arne H. B.

I really doubt you will get a clear enough view to ID this guy anyway, but besides that if that is an employee doing this in broad daylight then I have to assume it's within his guidelines for movement, and those familiar with this area know there are railfans around there constantly so he can count on getting caught quickly if it is a wrong move. I think he is a trespasser because of the way he is all the way in the back of the boxcar so nobody can see him from the headend.
Arne H. B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:18 AM   #8
Mike B.
Banned

At least in GCOR, riding like that is within the rules as long as the train isn't being shoved. Riding like the man pictured is actually easier and safer because you are standing on a platform and not hanging off the side. Going over a bridge like that I would certainly be riding like he was.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:19 AM   #9
foss0244

Send a message via AIM to foss0244

I really doubt he's a trespasser. I can't see somebody who is not familiar with railroads being that stupid. To me, it kinda looks like he would work for the railroad.
foss0244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:25 AM   #10
ReadingRN

He does not appear to be doing anything wrong in the photo. Now if he were riding a shove move, then yes he could be in some deep doo doo for not riding the side because he could fall of and....crunch. But in this move the train is obviously going forward so he is within the rules. I have before told my engineer to just start ahead to the next stop and ridden on the end because it would save time. (Example would be that we would be shoving the rear cars into a siding that is one mile away)

Bryan
ReadingRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:21 PM   #11
Joe the Photog

I would never aim to get a railroad employee in trouble, but it's not my responsibility to save their jobs.

Joe
Old 06-20-2007, 05:12 PM   #12
lock4244

If he's an employee, where is his orange & yellow safety vest? Isn't that a requirement for all operating employees?

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:56 PM   #13
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244
If he's an employee, where is his orange & yellow safety vest? Isn't that a requirement for all operating employees?
No, it's up the railroad to decide if safety vests are needed or not.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote