Old 04-16-2015, 08:57 AM   #1
Firefighter1019

Default Selling Photos?

I know theres several people who have sold a their photos. Just curious what price people sell them for. I was asked to have one of my train photos to be used in a German Railroad magazine and not sure how much to ask.

My Other Pics
Firefighter1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:21 PM   #2
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter1019 View Post
I know theres several people who have sold a their photos. Just curious what price people sell them for. I was asked to have one of my train photos to be used in a German Railroad magazine and not sure how much to ask.
Depends on who is making the purchase and how the image will be used /how many people will see it and who.

I typically ask: "What do you typically budget for a photo purchase such as this?". You should at least get a starting point to work with. Some folks, such as the German magazine you are referring to will have a set price. Others will have flexible pricing that you'll need to negotiate. Most, however, will disappear off the face of the Earth, never to be heard from again.

If I recall correctly, the German magazine pays quite well - for a railfan magazine. Along the lines of what Trains would pay and a free issue. $30 bucks give or take $10, depending on the size of the image.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:28 PM   #3
Firefighter1019

They offered me $80 for a double page of this photo http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...486263&nseq=32.

This is the magazine
https://shop.vgbahn.info/eisenbahn-r...Romantik_-n210

My Other Pics
Firefighter1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:39 PM   #4
KevinM

I think Mitch covered it pretty well. What you ask for really depends upon who the customer is and what they intend to do with the image. If they want it for one issue of a railfan magazine, that's one thing. Railfan mags typically pay anything from nothing, to perhaps a couple of hundred. If it's for a more mainstream publication (like TIME), that's a step up. Mainstream mags may well be able to afford more than specialty mags. If someone wants EXCLUSIVE USE, feel free to set your price. They are essentially taking the photo away from you.

I think it is reasonable to lend the (free) use of one's images to tourist railroads, museums, 501C3s and other such causes. Those folks need our help, and providing such help may also help you get closer to their organization. It's a win-win.

Other potential (commercial) users should offer you SOMETHING (besides just a photo credit) to use your image in some sort of publication. They may not have a big budget for imagery, and that's fine. They should still make at least a token offer. Otherwise, they are essentially saying that your photos are worthless, and you know that's not the case. You didn't get them for free. You have travel expenses, perhaps charter expenses, and of course, your gear is expensive.

Unfortunately, these days, with every teenage railfan running around with a 24 MP DSLR, many consumers of railroad photos seem to think they can drive the market into the ground. They can only do that if we let them.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:57 PM   #5
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I think Mitch covered it pretty well. What you ask for really depends upon who the customer is and what they intend to do with the image. If they want it for one issue of a railfan magazine, that's one thing. Railfan mags typically pay anything from nothing, to perhaps a couple of hundred. If it's for a more mainstream publication (like TIME), that's a step up. Mainstream mags may well be able to afford more than specialty mags. If someone wants EXCLUSIVE USE, feel free to set your price. They are essentially taking the photo away from you.

I think it is reasonable to lend the (free) use of one's images to tourist railroads, museums, 501C3s and other such causes. Those folks need our help, and providing such help may also help you get closer to their organization. It's a win-win.

Other potential (commercial) users should offer you SOMETHING (besides just a photo credit) to use your image in some sort of publication. They may not have a big budget for imagery, and that's fine. They should still make at least a token offer. Otherwise, they are essentially saying that your photos are worthless, and you know that's not the case. You didn't get them for free. You have travel expenses, perhaps charter expenses, and of course, your gear is expensive.

Unfortunately, these days, with every teenage railfan running around with a 24 MP DSLR, many consumers of railroad photos seem to think they can drive the market into the ground. They can only do that if we let them.

You said a mouthful right there.

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote