Old 12-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #26
dnsommer2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I find myself shooting Amtrak more than anything, so I always keep some Amtrak literature in my car, especially publications with my photos in them. What is a police officer going to say when I tell him/her, "Look, I'm shooting for Amtrak. Here are some recent images of my they used..."

And using a 25 ft tripod really stands out, so I have to be ready to have answers for the curious.
Do you have a photo of the 25' tripod in action? Dave
dnsommer2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #27
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Three photos over 5 years. Not much to brag about. And I'm probably one of least published photogs on this forum.
What all counts as being published?

I might have ya beat..

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #28
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnsommer2013 View Post
Do you have a photo of the 25' tripod in action? Dave

And the view:

I'd estimate about 75% of the photos I've taken in the last 6 months have been with using that tripod. I'm quite disinterested in taking ground level photos now. The only problem is the time it takes to set up and break down, as well as drawing a LOT of attention if I'm in any area with passersby. I've yet to draw the attention of a police officer, but I get a LOT of comments and questions from people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
What all counts as being published?

Anything in print NOT by you.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 12-01-2014 at 03:49 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #29
bigbassloyd

That looks like the one I'm getting for some upcoming projects. I may even shoot a train with it.

Quote:

my heart quivers in sadness.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 12-01-2014 at 04:50 PM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #30
Moffat Road

Quote:

And the view:

I'd estimate about 75% of the photos I've taken in the last 6 months have been with using that tripod. I'm quite disinterested in taking ground level photos now. The only problem is the time it takes to set up and break down, as well as drawing a LOT of attention if I'm in any area with passersby. I've yet to draw the attention of a police officer, but I get a LOT of comments and questions from people.

Jim, How do you view what you are getting with that tripod? I imagine you use a remote for firing the shutter, but I canít figure out how you compose the shot.

Mike
Moffat Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #31
Ween

Are you bringing your magical bean stalk to Colorado?
Old 12-02-2014, 07:25 PM   #32
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
That looks like the one I'm getting for some upcoming projects. I may even shoot a train with it.

my heart quivers in sadness.
I think you may have misunderstood what I meant (reading my comment now, I see I wasn't clear). I meant, anything of yours that has been "in print" (mag, brochure, etc) that you yourself didn't have printed.

If you do go with a tall tripod and don't have one of those fancy cameras with built-in wifi, I suggest you add this to your shopping list: http://camranger.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moffat Road View Post
Jim, How do you view what you are getting with that tripod? I imagine you use a remote for firing the shutter, but I can’t figure out how you compose the shot.

Mike
Mike, I do a "rough" framing of the shot before I hoist the camera up. I often have to bring it down to fine tune the tilt, but I can usually get close enough on the first try. To get the right framing on the sides, I just loosen the adjustment screw on the bottom section and slowly rotate the entire thing with my hand. I do have a motorized pan/tilt head with a 25 ft cable, but the damn thing stopped working shortly after I bought it (now a $125 paper weight. )

Check the link my reply to Loyd regarding camera control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
Are you bringing your magical bean stalk to Colorado?
Don't need to as there are plenty of rock structures to climb for elevation, unlike what us flat-landers have to deal with in Michigan.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 12-09-2014, 02:54 AM   #33
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Quote:

And the view:

I've got one of those Manfrottos as well, I also went all in and bought the Bescor motorized head so I can control it from my iPhone/iPad. I don't use the thing nearly as much as I could because it can be a bit of a PITA to keep steady when it's fully extended, and I don't like dealing with the guy wires if I don't have to.

I've used it quite a bit with my night photos however, as it really changes the aspect considerably.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23954134@N06/15720048041/

I've experimented with a friend's DSLR-capable drone in the last few months to see how OCF shots look from 200 feet or more, and was underwhelmed to say the least. Drones are fine for getting those uber-wide landscape shots, but anything above 50 feet for OCF and they're more work than they're worth.

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:11 AM   #34
JimThias

Sean, that Besco pan/tilt head is a steaming pile of crap. And their customer service is next to non-existent. Nice $130 paper weight that I own.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #35
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Quote:
Sean, that Besco pan/tilt head is a steaming pile of crap. And their customer service is next to non-existent. Nice $130 paper weight that I own.
Mine has been fine, and I've even dropped it a couple times, still works. I don't like how tall the tripod is when it's closed up though, because mounting all that stuff on the top of the tripod is a cast iron bitch in the dark.

I use the CamRanger to control it from my iPhone/iPad, so there's no need for the 25ft control cord you alluded to, although I have it if it were ever needed.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:45 PM   #36
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

In the interest of getting back to the original topic. I don't get a great deal of problems with law enforcement or other authorities. This is likely by virtue of being more of a "night shooter"; meaning that I am often in the shadows and not easy to spot unless someone is looking for me. Plus, I like to do as much pre-coordination as I can with local authorities to pre-empt any potential encounters.

By way of my profession, I do have ID's that can encourage all but the most stubborn of LEOs to get off my back. Fortunately, I've never had to use them, and I don't plan to put myself in a position where I'd need to either.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:45 AM   #37
Will Jordan

I've been questioned a few times by police, mainly because people call because they are scared about seeing a 13 year old standing by railroad tracks....never had any problem with cops trying to take my camera or anything. But then again I've never delt with RR police. As I understand, comparing police to RR police is like comparing a tailless cat to an electronic billboard sign.
Will Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #38
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Jordan View Post
...comparing police to RR police is like comparing a tailless cat to an electronic billboard sign.
I've noticed that the "real" police are much more likely to have the "Why would anyone want to take pictures of some old train?" attitude.
One prize specimen of a PA state trooper lectured me (after a lengthy credentials check):
"Now I been to Johnstown and there aint NOTHIN' worth a picture there. Get a better story next time."
Good thing I hadn't said pictures of trains!

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #39
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17 View Post
I am often in the shadows and not easy to spot unless someone is looking for me.
In these video everywhere times, you just might be on someone's night vision camera, even in the woods!

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:54 AM   #40
Mark Rosnick

I was out taking photos one morning and a LEO stopped to see what I was doing. He started giving me grief about what I was doing when I explained that I was not on private property. I then asked him if the chief of police was behaving since I went to school with him, and his demeanor changed. He told me to have a nice day and to stay off the tracks.

Ironically the most trouble I ever had was when I was a newspaper photographer. In PA fire police pretty much control access to fire or accident scenes. One morning I was sent by the city editor to the scene of a fatal accident. The fire policeman had a real God complex and he wouldn't allow me to go down towards the accident scene; even though the local TV stations were down there. A state trooper was headed towards the scene and stopped to see what the problem was.

Needless to say the trooper gave me a ride to the scene and complained about how much he hated fire policemen. I used to be a member of the NPPA (National Press Photographers Assoc) and I used to carry a book about photographers rights. Sadly i can't find my 25 year old copy.

I've found if you generally if you act respectful towards the LEO, you won't get hassled.

A funny story happened one Friday night about an hour before deadline when a call came in for a working structure fire with entrapment at a frat house at the college in the town where I worked. I grabbed my gear and told the editor to send a reporter and I'll be back as soon as I can. I didn't notice any glow in the sky but my scanner stated that they had received multiple calls. When I got to the scene a friend of mine was dragging hose and I asked him whats up. He informed me that it was a prank done by the frat house.

As I was taking photos of the scene a frat member ran up to me and got in my face about private property. I reminded him that i was on a public sidewalk and pulled out my book. I asked him if he could read and he stormed off. Long story short. The college kicked the frat out and the fire department fined the college and the frat house.
Mark Rosnick is offline   Reply With Quote