Old 11-26-2009, 05:29 AM   #1
Violet-Skies Photos
Rebellious Youth

Default Opinions Anybody?

Hello all; just looking for some opinions on whether or not this photo would have a chance at the DB. I like it because of the residence here, including the OSU factor, but I'm not sure if it's RP quality. My biggest concern was the train being too far away, and maybe the composition. Please tell me what you think, how the shot may be improved for the future, etc. Your input is much appreciated!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC2442.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	346.9 KB
ID:	4887
Old 11-26-2009, 05:48 AM   #2
Joe the Photog

I'm not a screener, so I can't say it has no chance. But I can say I feel it's unlikely. You mentioned it yourself: the train is too far away. (It's also unlevel counter clock wise.) You needed to be much closer to the scene than you were. Not sure if cropping it down will work, but there's also too much room on the left, the top and the bottom in my eyes.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:57 AM   #3
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Good light and good color, but I agree with Joe in that I don't see this one being accepted.

It's a very good idea, but atleast for my eyes, I find there are a bit too many obstructing objects. While nothing is obstructing the power, the clutter over to the left of the frame (the house, barn, power lines, etc.) really take away from the image, in my opinion. It seems that to the right you have an open field. If the field is open enough and easily accessible by foot, I'd suggest walking closer to the tracks and then finding a spot to stand in the field. You definitely had good lighting on your side.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:30 AM   #4
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

It's a solid shot, I think... I dig the landscape, you know, sense of place and all that jazz. I think the proper crop for it is probably too short and panoramic for what they like to accept around here though.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
khalucha

I think you need more train in it. Example:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...15&favsearch=1

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff

Last edited by khalucha; 11-26-2009 at 01:29 PM.
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

I like it, seems to work to me.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryan View Post
I like it, seems to work to me.
I second that.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #8
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
Good light and good color, but I agree with Joe in that I don't see this one being accepted.

It's a very good idea, but atleast for my eyes, I find there are a bit too many obstructing objects. While nothing is obstructing the power, the clutter over to the left of the frame (the house, barn, power lines, etc.) really take away from the image, in my opinion. It seems that to the right you have an open field. If the field is open enough and easily accessible by foot, I'd suggest walking closer to the tracks and then finding a spot to stand in the field. You definitely had good lighting on your side.

Chase
Are you serious, the house and barn take away from the image?! Oh, yes, find an empty boring field, get closer and lose all interesting things that give the image a sense of place not to mention the line (road) that leads to the train.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:24 PM   #9
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2) View Post
Are you serious, the house and barn take away from the image?! Oh, yes, find an empty boring field, get closer and lose all interesting things that give the image a sense of place not to mention the line (road) that leads to the train.
Welcome to PerfectlyLitThreeQuarterWedgies.net, The most boring railroad photos on the 'net!

- Chris
Old 11-26-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

I think the photo looks really divided. If the road was at more of an angle I think the photo would flow much better. Even if you crop of the top and bottom to get away from such a square crop may make a world of difference.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #11
Joe the Photog

Why the attitude toward someone who gave his opinion? I thought that's why the OP came here, to get opinions. My opinion isn't that different from Chase's. I think the barn is one too many elements in the shot. I don't think it works. But if you crop the barn out and leave the house, I think it would add too many power lines to the shot.

The shot as is does not stand out. The train is centered top to bottom. It's seperated by a sea of green on the bottom and a sky of blue up top. Except for the road, everything is centered in the shot, the train, the buildings, the trees and even the power lines. It's not pleasing to the eye other than being techniclly dead on. The road should probably be to one side rather than more in the middle.

So I do say the house AND the barn do take away from this specific image as it is composed. I would suggest the OP do what Chase said IF POSSIBLE, then shoot back toward the house and see if that works better than this. It's ot about whether to shoot a wedgie or not in this case, but how to make what I call a "wide and to the side" more interesting.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:07 PM   #12
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Why the attitude toward someone who gave his opinion? I thought that's why the OP came here, to get opinions. My opinion isn't that different from Chase's. I think the barn is one too many elements in the shot. I don't think it works. But if you crop the barn out and leave the house, I think it would add too many power lines to the shot.

The shot as is does not stand out. The train is centered top to bottom. It's seperated by a sea of green on the bottom and a sky of blue up top. Except for the road, everything is centered in the shot, the train, the buildings, the trees and even the power lines. It's not pleasing to the eye other than being techniclly dead on. The road should probably be to one side rather than more in the middle.

So I do say the house AND the barn do take away from this specific image as it is composed. I would suggest the OP do what Chase said IF POSSIBLE, then shoot back toward the house and see if that works better than this. It's ot about whether to shoot a wedgie or not in this case, but how to make what I call a "wide and to the side" more interesting.
I have a problem with the advice to lose everything in the image and just shoot the train in a field. Yawn! The questions are: Does this photo have a chance to make the DB? Yes. Is the quality there? I can't judge by the attachment so I can't say definitely yes or no.

Now onto the opinions. Of course, we'd all do something different with the scene because photography is subjective. The OP obviously likes everything included so what's the point in telling him to go to a field and shoot something completely different rather than providing alternate suggestions like you did, Joe. That's the reason for the "attitude". I would have teled in (if thats an option) to focus more on the house while putting it in between the poles rather than having one blocking it. If he could go into the field and shoot back rather than just a broadside, I like that suggestion but I don't see the point of losing EVERYTHING in the photo.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #13
ssw9662

I like it, although I could do without the pole and wires at the dead center of the image. I'd say submit (with a little rotation and contrast adjustment) and see what the screeners think.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:01 PM   #14
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Quote:
I second that.
I third that!

I like it.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #15
JRMDC

I think Chase says good things and bad, and so I agree with Joe mostly and I agree and disagree with AB2. I agree that a blank field is not the way to go, so the repositioning recommendation I don't care for. But I agree with Chase about the foreground obstruction, the very part of his post that AB2 subsequently highlighted in bold. The entire house/barn zone is just a mass of clutter, structures, evergreens, poles, trees; it took me a bit to figure out those were double stacks. And the top/bottom problem Joe talks about, huge!

One possible solution is a repositioning, but not what Chase suggested. I suggest going maybe 100 yards forward down the road toward the RR, until you are even with the nearest pole visible in this shot. Then, you capture the crossing, train, and put the house on the left, so none of the junk behind the house. You have more focus on the scene, not just a tiny house in there somewhere. You still have the road leading into the shot, but not endless acres of bare ground. You don't have endless blue sky, you have more of a train. Stepping back as far as seen in this shot just means more bare sky, more bare soil, and a distant and cluttered farmyard.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #16
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Andrew, in this case, I think the open field would be the best choice, simply because I find the power lines distracting, and I see a lot of various things to look at towards the left of the frame that take away from the image, in my opinion. Now, if there was only the barn and the tree, or the house and the tree, I'd really like the image and try to persuade the OP to somewhat include that into the composition, of course, if able to somewhat exclude the power lines.

I'm all for barns and other structures in images, as long as there isn't so much to look at it. I think a large quantity of things can sometimes take away from an image. I suppose in some cases, a lot of things to look at can also make an image more appealing.

Below are some examples as to what I find appealing..

Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 301158
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Nicely done! You have a clear shot of the train that is not obstructed by anything, but you still have a scenic composition with plenty for the eye to look at without going overboard.

Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 285728
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Again, nicely done. You're closer to the tracks (which is what I suggested to Violet-Skies), but you did manage to include the silo, which in my opinion, adds to the image. The red tractor in the foreground is a nice touch as well.

My 0.2 cents worth.
Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:25 AM   #17
lock4244

Including the farm buildings is usually a good idea, but the shot does not work. The subject is too far away, the empty fields add nothing to the composition and the train is too obstructed by the buildings and trees. The hydro line does lead the eye to the train, but it isn't exactly a pleasing element in the shot. I see this shot and think the train got there before you did and it was a hastily composed shot.

There are possibilities at that location, but not from that angle.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:39 AM   #18
Violet-Skies Photos
Rebellious Youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244 View Post
I see this shot and think the train got there before you did and it was a hastily composed shot.
Then you, my friend, are right on the money.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:13 AM   #19
J. E. Landrum
RailPictures.Net Crew

Love the location except I'd want to slap the crap out of the guy who put that pole line in. It's distracting, but not "rejection distracting" IMHO.
J. E. Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:55 PM   #20
MDH

There used to be a great picture of this location on rp.net but I sure can't find it after various attempts to search for it. The shot I remember was clearly taken from the property of the farm in question (presumably with permission) and neatly framed a train running behind the Ohio State bin with some of the surroundings. Even for a "grab shot" I like what you did with it and something along those lines and a little more "planned" has been on my radar as a "to do sometime" shot. It would work better in the first half of the day (this time of year) when you'd have good sun on the OSU bin (in yours it has late afternoon shadow on it from the barn). My 2 cents...

Regards,
Michael

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Click Here to view my Toledo Railfan Photo Location map!
MDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:25 PM   #21
JRMDC

If by "OSU bin" you mean that tiny thing to the right of the barn, barely visible, may I suggest that you choose a composition where the viewer can make out the object that you find important. That is actually good advice, well, the minimum standard!, for any shot.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote