Old 10-24-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
chuckman

Default Csx es40dc?

Thought this was a big joke for a second, however when I read some of the comments in the video one guy said that a couple of these were downgraded for fuel conservation! Any truth to this? It is wither truth of a major CSX mistake!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQqgVTCgxts

Also I apologize for caps locking the letters-couldn't do anything about it.

My photos on flickr...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53728467@N08/
chuckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
JRMDC

It is true, don't have a link but I have read of it in more than one place.

We will see how accurate RP entries are for this! Not!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
chuckman

Check out this link! I did a google search on the topic;
http://forums.flightsim.com/vbts/sho...d.php?t=287064

My photos on flickr...

Last edited by chuckman; 10-25-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
nikos1

Well i guess GE is coming to the realization that they cannot squeeze 4400 HP out of a 12 cylinder engine, it puts way too much stress on the prime mover. It will be interesting to see if the 8 cylinder EMD ECO prime movers will be faced with the same problems.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:57 PM   #5
Violet-Skies Photos
Rebellious Youth

Am I the only one who noticed the NS SD70ACe comment on that thread? Great, just what I need around here. More boxy-looking black and white EMD's with high pitched screamers...
Old 10-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet-Skies Photos View Post
Am I the only one who noticed the NS SD70ACe comment on that thread? Great, just what I need around here. More boxy-looking black and white EMD's with high pitched screamers...
I remember reading in that thread that the NS ACe deal was just a rumor...
Old 10-29-2009, 01:10 AM   #7
chuckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
I remember reading in that thread that the NS ACe deal was just a rumor...
Right you are! Later on in the thread a NS employee told us that it was a myth, sad too!

My photos on flickr...

Old 10-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #8
Violet-Skies Photos
Rebellious Youth

That myth just wasn't even funny. That was the first Halloween horror story of the year for me...
Old 10-30-2009, 12:41 AM   #9
Ween

I think the funniest thing in that whole thread is some teenager telling actual hoggers what the better units are because he's used them in a train sim. FAIL!
Old 11-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #10
Violet-Skies Photos
Rebellious Youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
I think the funniest thing in that whole thread is some teenager telling actual hoggers what the better units are because he's used them in a train sim. FAIL!
Hmm, because I would definitely base my opinion on some faulty simulator. You have the right to defend your beloved EMD's, but please avoid false accusations just because my preferences differ... You're not the only one who's been in a locomotive.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:58 PM   #11
trainmaster_1

Quote:
Hmm, because I would definitely base my opinion on some faulty simulator. You have the right to defend your beloved EMD's, but please avoid false accusations just because my preferences differ... You're not the only one who's been in a locomotive.
Oh really ? Do you know different characteristics between different locomotives when they are in a moving consist ? Do you realize how locomotives react when you open the throttle on wet or dry rail or when coming to a stop with a heavy tonnage train ? Just because you can make your assumption on a train sim doesn't make you a pro at running the real thing.

CN Conductor

Click here to view my pictures on RP.net
trainmaster_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:36 AM   #12
Violet-Skies Photos
Rebellious Youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainmaster_1 View Post
Oh really ? Do you know different characteristics between different locomotives when they are in a moving consist ? Do you realize how locomotives react when you open the throttle on wet or dry rail or when coming to a stop with a heavy tonnage train ? Just because you can make your assumption on a train sim doesn't make you a pro at running the real thing.
Let me clarify things; In no way, shape or form am I basing my opinion on a simulator, and in no way did I say a simulator perfectly portrays the operation of a locomotive, consist or entire train. I've been in locomotives before, both EMD and GE, and from the trips I've been on and the in the short amount I've operated them, I lean more towards the direction of GE. I'm not criticizing how EMD's operate in any means, and I'm not telling any engineer or conductor or any professional what's better and what's not. It's all about preference, and I prefer GE. I'm also not a professional at operating trains, far from it. I'm just basing my opinion off of what I myself have experienced, not on simulators. And it isn't right to criticize my opinion just because I prefer one make over another or because of the fact that I'm younger. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and I'm not criticizing anyone or anything.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:12 AM   #13
UCRP93

I'll contribute my $0.02.

I am young too (under the age of 20). I have operated close to 10 locomotives, ridden in them, and have been in close to 50 cabs. While the main thing I may be able to discuss is "crew comfort", I do know a bit about the "works" of the locomotives too. I could never live up to the knowledge of 'trainmaster1' yet, but I'd hope to someday.

I prefer GE widecabs over EMD widecabs; And while I may not have the authority or experience to make that decision, like Cody said, it is just a matter of taste, or preference, if you will. But it seems that the GE's are better for crew comfort, don't seem to have as much wheel slip when pulling close to 60 loads up a near 1% grade, and also seem to pull better at lower speeds.

Looking at this from a railfan standpoint, a lot of people seem to like EMD better, be it for the reason of "more reliability", better appearance, better performance or lifespan. I have always been a GE fan, contrary to what people say. I like the chug, and even the looks of the older GE models. And plus, as discussed, the newer GE widecabs seem to perform excellently, while the EMD widecabs are loud, bulky, and not well put-together. I have heard several complaints about the new EMD cab design, and dynamic braking, from two locomotive engineers that I know. One from NS, and one from CSX.

Sure, GE will work out the kinks in the turbo chargers, and when they do, you'll see the GEVO's for a long time to come. Just bare with it, if you can!

Click here to see my photos on RailPictures.net
Click here to see my videos on YouTube

One of very few people that like CSX and GE both!!

UCRP93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #14
chuckman

As of today, 5323, and 9028 have retained their original 4400 HP.

Also, from the perspective of another younger guy, I think that the locos are good in their own respects. While EMDs might be easier to rebuild, maintenance, and have better looks, GEs might be more comfortable, reliable and run better. I guess it just depends which end of the table you are on. Although, currently from an operational standpoint GE seems to be way more advanced the EMD.
Here is a perfect example!
http://www.bullsheet.com/news/atmsc.html

Anyway if you still don't get it look at the engine to the left of my post...engineer says the thing can haul 30 loads of ethanol at 40mph on a good day! 1800 HP can go a long ways...

My photos on flickr...

Last edited by chuckman; 11-07-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:09 PM   #15
UCRP93

GE's look better! Other opinions are incorrect.

Click here to see my photos on RailPictures.net
Click here to see my videos on YouTube

One of very few people that like CSX and GE both!!

UCRP93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #16
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainmaster_1 View Post
Don't worry Mike, he read a manual and watched "Tracks Ahead" last night. Therefore, he has it all figured out.
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #17
trainmaster_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadForeman View Post
Don't worry Mike, he read a manual and watched "Tracks Ahead" last night. Therefore, he has it all figured out.
LMFAO !

CN Conductor

Click here to view my pictures on RP.net
trainmaster_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #18
TheRoadForeman
Banned

I must say "Violet Skies", you are a prime example of the type of person that an actual railroader and seasoned railfan cannot stand to be around. You really have absolutely no concept of the physics of running an actual tonnage train (as "Ween" pointed out and you did some silly comeback) and can't even begin to acknowledge the true differance between loco models and what they were designed to do respectively. So, here is my advice, put your money where your mouth is and show us how a GE handles a train better than an EMD or, vice versa in actual fundamental application. Betcha can't do it b/c your not an engineer with either the proper training or, skill to handle that. I'll bet you wet your pants the times that you claimed to run an engine!!

Last edited by TheRoadForeman; 11-08-2009 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-09-2009, 01:59 AM   #19
JRMDC

Why the pissing contest? Violet skies expressed an opinion and subsequently indicated the basis for it (post #12). Given that post, what is the problem? He has a given level of experience, or lack thereof, he acknowledges it, he knows it, he opines. You can ignore it, sure, as weakly-founded. But why trash it?

Or is there some evidence that Violet Skies is the same person as Max Payne on the linked thread from trainsim? Or Amtk775?

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-09-2009, 02:08 AM   #20
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Why the pissing contest? Violet skies expressed an opinion and subsequently indicated the basis for it (post #12). Given that post, what is the problem? He has a given level of experience, or lack thereof, he acknowledges it, he knows it, he opines. You can ignore it, sure, as weakly-founded. But why trash it?

Or is there some evidence that Violet Skies is the same person as Max Payne on the linked thread from trainsim? Or Amtk775?
Seriously?? When two actual railroaders comment on his BS and he still has the balls to react to what was said with his acclaimed "first hand" knowledge?! I actually begin to question your competence to this whole thing!!!!

P.S. Janusz, like this guy is the kind of folk that you would wanna go fanning with?! Why defend him? He obviously knows more than the pros here.

Last edited by TheRoadForeman; 11-09-2009 at 02:15 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:17 AM   #21
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
Let me clarify things; In no way, shape or form am I basing my opinion on a simulator, and in no way did I say a simulator perfectly portrays the operation of a locomotive, consist or entire train. I've been in locomotives before, both EMD and GE, and from the trips I've been on and the in the short amount I've operated them, I lean more towards the direction of GE. I'm not criticizing how EMD's operate in any means, and I'm not telling any engineer or conductor or any professional what's better and what's not. It's all about preference, and I prefer GE. I'm also not a professional at operating trains, far from it. I'm just basing my opinion off of what I myself have experienced, not on simulators. And it isn't right to criticize my opinion just because I prefer one make over another or because of the fact that I'm younger. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and I'm not criticizing anyone or anything.
Simply, STFU!
Old 11-09-2009, 03:07 AM   #22
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadForeman View Post
Seriously?? When two actual railroaders comment on his BS and he still has the balls to react to what was said with his acclaimed "first hand" knowledge?! I actually begin to question your competence to this whole thing!!!!

P.S. Janusz, like this guy is the kind of folk that you would wanna go fanning with?! Why defend him? He obviously knows more than the pros here.
Well, maybe I haven't looked at all of his posts with a critical eye, but post #12 in this thread seems humble enough. Something about the reaction just seems waaay over the top. Maybe I have just missed something.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-10-2009, 02:43 AM   #23
Violet-Skies Photos
Rebellious Youth

In a final effort to make everyone happy:

I don't know more than the pros; that is why they're called professionals and I'm called a railfan. I don't know everything there is to know about locomotives and the railroad operations, and do not claim that I do. From the few times I have been in a locomotive, both GE and EMD, and the short time I was privileged to be at the throttle, both GE and EMD, I have formed an opinion, and I was simply expressing it with no intention of making anyone infuriated or to say that I know as much or more than those like TheRoadForeman or trainmaster_1 who actually make a living operating all types of locomotives, lashups and consists. I thank JRMDC for at least trying to see that I wasn't trying to attack anyone's knowledge, put anyone down or raise myself up. The pros know the best for a reason; it's what they do, and they're supposed to know what they're doing. And we all have our opinions, and we have all expressed ours, for better or for worse. I'm sorry for ever bringing up my opinion of locomotives, and if I would have known it would anger this many people, I would have kept my "BS" opinion to my own self.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:15 AM   #24
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

You sir, have successfully turned an informative thread into a soap opera.

Ben
Old 11-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #25
Violet-Skies Photos
Rebellious Youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
You sir, have successfully turned an informative thread into a soap opera.

Ben
Unfortunately...