Old 06-17-2015, 07:47 AM   #1
CSX1702

Default Video From Train/Film Crew Incident

I don't think this has posted on here yet.... But this is footage from the film crew and the train in the incident where the film crew were on the bridge.

Looks to me like they had plenty of time to drop the equipment and run but I wasn't there. The speed of the train indicates that the crew had no idea there was anything going on. So there's no way they had permission. (If anyone knows the final story, feel free to tell me.)

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:56 PM   #2
Dennis A. Livesey

I used to do the job Sarah Jones died doing.
Unfortunately the "go along to get along" mentality is status quo on film sets. The director's wants are paramount so if you refuse, you can kiss any future employment from the same people good bye. If you haven't been working much, you are very likely going to keep your mouth shut and not make waves.
And this death was the result.
The director denies responsibility. This is a lie since he was known to "steal" shots, which means trespassing to get the shot.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #3
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
I used to do the job Sarah Jones died doing.
Unfortunately the "go along to get along" mentality is status quo on film sets. The director's wants are paramount so if you refuse, you can kiss any future employment from the same people good bye. If you haven't been working much, you are very likely going to keep your mouth shut and not make waves.
And this death was the result.
The director denies responsibility. This is a lie since he was known to "steal" shots, which means trespassing to get the shot.
It's terrible the way some employers take advantage of young, inexperienced employees and put their lives at risk, in many cases for sub-par pay. It used to be like that in the regional airline business. Young pilots got paid dirt-wages and spent their nights in "crash pads" to fly trips in awful weather in poorly maintained equipment. If someone had misgivings about taking a certain trip because of the weather, or some maintenance issue, they just sucked it up and went, because they knew that if they tried to cancel the flight, their boss would tell them there were five other guys in the ready room who were willing to go in their place....and of course that would be the end of their employment. It happened. I had a friend who used to tell me: "When you fly for the Regionals, you don't bother checking the weather, cuz you know you're goin' anyway."

I am reasonably sure there were a few smokin' holes in the ground created by that approach to airline safety. Things are better today. They pay ain't much better, and some still sleep in crash pads, but at least they don't have to fear losing their jobs when they make a call for safety.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote