Old 02-28-2016, 04:40 AM   #1
spacetrain1983

Default Advice for editing this photo?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0495.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	688.7 KB
ID:	9098
What would your advice be on editing this photo so that it might just have a chance at being accepted?
I wasn't able to get a shot on the sunny side because of the autorack train to the right blocking the way. Rare to see a SP leader. I was chasing this guy all the way across my railfanning range, from Cloverdale Rd. crossing to the Nampa terminal. Photo was taken with permission.
spacetrain1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:36 AM   #2
CSX1702

There's not really a chance. A cloudy day might get you accepted with the SP leader but on a sunny day, you generally have to be on the sunny side unless its a hugely creative shot.

Taking pictures on cloudy days allows you to break some rules because there is no "directional light" meaning you can take pictures from wherever you want and it will look the same.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:12 AM   #3
spacetrain1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
There's not really a chance. A cloudy day might get you accepted with the SP leader but on a sunny day, you generally have to be on the sunny side unless its a hugely creative shot.

Taking pictures on cloudy days allows you to break some rules because there is no "directional light" meaning you can take pictures from wherever you want and it will look the same.
That's what I was afraid of. I think it at least has a bit better chance than, for instance, one where the sun is directly behind an object in the shot, but I get what you're saying. If only that autorack train hadn't been there, I could've gotten a sunny side shot.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:44 PM   #4
Mberry

Agree with Derek, nothing you can do to get this accepted on rp.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:57 PM   #5
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetrain1983 View Post
I was chasing this guy all the way across my railfanning range, from Cloverdale Rd. crossing to the Nampa terminal. Photo was taken with permission.
Any other from that chase you can try other than this one? Sorry to be blunt, but there is no chance RP will accept this. It's just not up to par with what they would accept for a wedgie shot.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:32 PM   #6
spacetrain1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Any other from that chase you can try other than this one? Sorry to be blunt, but there is no chance RP will accept this. It's just not up to par with what they would accept for a wedgie shot.
Unfortunately he was too far ahead to get any shots of it. Didn't even find out the number of the patched SP until we got to the terminal where this shot was taken. Oh well, there's always the next railfan trip to get a good shot.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:29 AM   #7
conrail1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
There's not really a chance.
Not unless you have too much time on your hands and know your way around photoshop.
conrail1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:00 AM   #8
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrail1990 View Post
Not unless you have too much time on your hands and know your way around photoshop.
Touché. Lol

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:11 PM   #9
troy12n

No chance on this one
Old 02-29-2016, 01:53 PM   #10
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetrain1983 View Post
Attachment 9098
What would your advice be on editing this photo so that it might just have a chance at being accepted?
I wasn't able to get a shot on the sunny side because of the autorack train to the right blocking the way. Rare to see a SP leader. I was chasing this guy all the way across my railfanning range, from Cloverdale Rd. crossing to the Nampa terminal. Photo was taken with permission.
Given the original raw file, I think I could improve on the image as presented, and if it were a rusting steam engine in a location that never receives sunlight, I suspect I could probably get it accepted. The rules on RP appear to be different for historic equipment vs. contemporary trains. As others have noted, a shot of current equipment such as this would need a whole lot better lighting to be acceptable to RP.

I will say that I think you are doing the right thing by floating some of these images past the forums before submitting. A lot of new RP subscribers burst upon the RP scene without really getting themselves oriented first, and they end up submitting a lot of sub-par images in a short period of time, quickly wearing out their welcome with the screeners. I said in a previous post that the RP Screeners need to get comfortable with your photography. Some may have misinterpreted my meaning there, so I'll say it another way. The screeners DO INDEED remember people after a while. Chris Kilroy has said that straight up here on the forums....to paraphrase him, "after a while, I know whose stuff looks like what." You want his impression of you to be: "this guy/gal is making progress" as opposed to "this guy/gal is completely clueless". Most of us started as sunny wedgie photographers and that's my recommendation. Establish the recipe, then experiment once in a while.

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:35 PM   #11
spacetrain1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Given the original raw file, I think I could improve on the image as presented, and if it were a rusting steam engine in a location that never receives sunlight, I suspect I could probably get it accepted. The rules on RP appear to be different for historic equipment vs. contemporary trains. As others have noted, a shot of current equipment such as this would need a whole lot better lighting to be acceptable to RP.

I will say that I think you are doing the right thing by floating some of these images past the forums before submitting. A lot of new RP subscribers burst upon the RP scene without really getting themselves oriented first, and they end up submitting a lot of sub-par images in a short period of time, quickly wearing out their welcome with the screeners. I said in a previous post that the RP Screeners need to get comfortable with your photography. Some may have misinterpreted my meaning there, so I'll say it another way. The screeners DO INDEED remember people after a while. Chris Kilroy has said that straight up here on the forums....to paraphrase him, "after a while, I know whose stuff looks like what." You want his impression of you to be: "this guy/gal is making progress" as opposed to "this guy/gal is completely clueless". Most of us started as sunny wedgie photographers and that's my recommendation. Establish the recipe, then experiment once in a while.
When it comes to the screeners getting comfortable with me... well I might've accidentally screwed that up back in 2014 and/or 2015.
When I first made my RP.net account back in 2014, I cropped images and submitted them (this was before I discovered the resize tool in my photo editor). None were accepted. That made me lose motivation and I forgot I had an account until early 2015, when my dad gave me a flash drive of lots of HD train images from 2006/2007. I still had absolutely no clue what the standards of the site were, and so I resized and submitted some of the old photos. Still, none were accepted. It was how I learned that the screeners don't like backlit and/or cloudy shots all that much unless they're really, REALLY good. Then, on May 3rd, 2015: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=529572&nseq=1
When I had seen this get accepted I literally jumped out of my chair I was so excited. And looking at it, I think the main reason it was accepted was because it was a relatively rare unit... or something. To me now, it looks WAY undersharpened. Or maybe the screeners just wanted to give me a little hope, I genuinely have no clue. Then I avoided submitting for a few months because I didn't want to be disappointed over getting rejected again (yes, this sounds as crazy to you as it does to me). I eventually built up the courage to start submitting again. There were... a few rejections. But then, this image was accepted on New Year's Day:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=560461&nseq=0
I was so happy when I found out in the morning!

Anyways, that brings us back to now. Based off of the older submission attempts (i.e. before May 3, 2015), I feel like that and the old 2014 submissions may have ruined my "screener reputation". At least now I know what I'm doing... and also that asking the forums about images before attempting to submit them is a good thing. Sigh... hopefully one day I can make up for the terrible photos I submitted way back when I had no clue what I was doing. Though I think that'll take quite a lot of work... I know I can *probably* get there.