Old 05-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
Train-a-Mania
Senior Member
 
Train-a-Mania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 134
Default Can these photos make it?

I tried uploading the first photo to RP, but it was dinged for bad contrast:

http://memberfiles.freewebs.com/66/5...812%20Olds.jpg

The original image has plenty of light and color. I wanted to make it look like an old Wild West photo. Are there any suggestions for how I could do this and have it accepted by RP?

This second photo I haven't tried uploading yet, but I'm afraid it will be rejected due to the washed-out exterior. I'd like to try and get a human-interest shot on RP, and girls and RP seem to go hand-in-hand sometimes.

http://memberfiles.freewebs.com/66/5...SC_0539bws.jpg

If it needs to be fixed, what would you guys suggest?
__________________
Nick Ozorak
Train-a-Mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,950
Cool

With the 239 shot:

1. RP will accept toned shots but prefers color. Thus the sepia is a harder sell here.
2. The background is bad and competes with the train. It should be either higher or lower than the train. The two white vehicles and the equally white rocks pull the eye away from where you want it.
3. The light is very high and harsh.

If you want wild west, get out on the GC's mainline where there is nothing man-made beside the train in the shot.

The car attendant shot:

Very good idea. Train food service is very rare on RP. And of course, an attractive women is always an easy sell here. Unfortunately it suffers from the focus being on the whipped cream and not the attendant. And IMO, too tight on the right.
Level it, cut off more on the left, submit and see what happens.
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,889
Default

With the sepia shot, the first thing I noticed as the shot loaded (slowly) was the halo effect arond the trees. It's an atypical shot to turn sepia. Not just the diesels (and not first generation) but because of the cars in the background. It looks more like you went sepia just because the color didn't work with some less than stellar lighting.

The second shot is almost awesome. Dennis covered everythying pretty well. The cropping was the first thing I noted, cutting her off and putting her right up against the right side of the frame. The DOF is excellent on the left side of the frame. Hope you cn work it in. If you do, you're looking at a Top of 24 and likely you're most popular shot in terms of views, favorites and comments.
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,889
Default

Oh, did you shoot one of the attendant horizontally? On second glace, there's a lot of stuff up top and down below in the frame that doesn't do anything for the picture.
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,950
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Oh, did you shoot one of the attendant horizontally?
Ba-Dum-Dum!

"I'm here all week folks!"

__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
cblaz
Senior Member
 
cblaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Marlboro, New Jersey
Posts: 1,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
The car attendant shot:

Very good idea. Train food service is very rare on RP.
Agreed. Great idea for a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
Unfortunately it suffers from the focus being on the whipped cream and not the attendant. And IMO, too tight on the right.
Level it, cut off more on the left, submit and see what happens.
The attendant could be a little more in-focus, but the main issue is that the shot is too tight on the right. She's almost falling out of the frame. However, I disagree with Dennis on cutting any off the left. After the attendant catches your attention, your eye is drawn toward the back of the car and the people in the booths, giving the attendant a purpose for being the subject of the shot.

A horizontal crop, as Joe suggested, may work, but I think you'd lose the feel of looking down a narrow confined space inside a dining car.

- Chris
__________________
- Christopher Blaszczyk
My shots on RP: http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=284
cblaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:15 AM   #7
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,950
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post
Agreed. Great idea for a shot.
However, I disagree with Dennis...
- Chris
Proving yet again that great minds don't think alike.

Actually, Chris is correct in the greatest issue is the right and looking again I see cutting off anything on the left would not work.
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:09 AM   #8
Train-a-Mania
Senior Member
 
Train-a-Mania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 134
Default

How well does an angle like this work?

http://memberfiles.freewebs.com/66/5...SC_0388-2s.jpg

The reason I kept cropping the right off was due to an inconveniently-placed cash register.
__________________
Nick Ozorak
Train-a-Mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #9
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,950
Default

"Ladies and Gentleman we have a Winner!"
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #10
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,415
Default

I think that'll be it. Prepare for TO24, TOLW, PCA 1, and tons of comments.

I like how this shot is done, and the scene it conveys. It tells a story, and it's not the general "stick a female in it because it's a female" shot I see most of the time. Good one!

Loyd L.
__________________
I may not be the greatest railroad photographer ever, but I'm certainly a much nicer person.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #11
Train-a-Mania
Senior Member
 
Train-a-Mania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 134
Default

Thanks for the advice, guys! I may choose to work on the Grand Canyon shot later, but I cared more about this one anyway.

Image © Nick Ozorak
PhotoID: 323310
Photograph © Nick Ozorak
__________________
Nick Ozorak
Train-a-Mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #12
wds
Senior Member
 
wds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Train-a-Mania View Post
Thanks for the advice, guys! I may choose to work on the Grand Canyon shot later, but I cared more about this one anyway.

Image © Nick Ozorak
PhotoID: 323310
Photograph © Nick Ozorak
Looks good, Nick!
__________________
Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
wds is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.